Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's IAD-HNL Service (Schedule, Equipment, etc.)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to UA's IAD-HNL Service (Schedule, Equipment, etc.)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
would that apply to EWR?
There are many more people who live in "Metro EWR" than in "Metro IAD."

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
EWR-HNL probably gets much more local passengers from the NYC market and IAD would depend more on those connecting and one issue is many have to fly a backwards or non direct routing to take this flight. ORD and IAH also DEN, LAX, and SFO are better alternatives.
Another drawback for some, including myself, to both EWR-HNL and IAD-HNL, is a preference to break the time-in-tube up with a connection at SFO or LAX. I have also booked travel for several people flying from DC area to HNL and to a number, all have preferred to fly from DCA or BWI (depending upon their residence) than to truck out to IAD for the nonstop. Of course, that N is only ~ 15.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Hawaii is in the US and the Caribbean isn't. That gets you a much better tax treatment on "business" trips (cough conferences cough vacations) to Hawaii.
While there are many who go to Hawaii for "business" conferences, the majority of travellers going to warm islands are going for true vacation and don't have an inclination to play with the tax rules.

That said, there are parts of the Caribbean that are in the US -- viz. Bajo Nuevo Bank (uninhabitated, also claimed by Columbia, Jamaica, and Nicaragua), Navassa (uninhabitated, claimed by Haiti and the US), Puerto Rico, Serranilla Bank (occupied by Columbia, and also claimed Honduras, Nicaragua and the US), and the US Virgin Islands. Not to mention that part of Cuba which is quasi-US, Guantánamo Bay (not that one would want to vacation there).
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
If I can secure an upgrade, I will fly EWR-HNL over a connection on the west coast. The mini E+ cabin doesn't look terrible either.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by raehl311
Hawaii is in the US and the Caribbean isn't. That gets you a much better tax treatment on "business" trips (cough conferences cough vacations) to Hawaii.
Also with Hawaii being domestic, I can use my cell phone there without any international inconveniences, I can use my cell phone's hotspot to stay connected to the internet, I don't have to deal with foreign currency, I don't have to carry documents with me, etc. I've travelled plenty international and dealt with all the hassles of it. Time for some paradise without crossing a border.

Hawaii is the perfect vacation spot. It's got all the trappings of a long haul international trip and yet, it has none of the hassles! Even flight attendants like the east coast-HNL runs, all the high hours of international trips with none of the international hassles!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Another drawback for some, including myself, to both EWR-HNL and IAD-HNL, is a preference to break the time-in-tube up with a connection at SFO or LAX.
This. MsHalls120 isn't a fan of long distance uninterrupted travel. Next time we do Hawaii, we won't take the nonstop even if it still is available.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by halls120
Thank you for stating the obvious.

I've lived in the DC area for 21 years now. We've been to Hawaii twice in those 21 years. We've been to the Caribbean 7 times.

Don't get me wrong, we love Hawaii. But you don't decide to pop out to Hawaii for a four day weekend. You do in the Caribbean.
No worries, I get it, I lived in DC for 4 years and didn't visit my hometown of Honolulu or family the whole time. There were no direct flights at all then either.

Opposite problem here in San Francisco. As a diver I'd love direct flights to Cozumel, Bonaire, Caymans; instead it's 2-3 hops and often an overnighter, so instead I'm off to Indonesia or Thailand, or the short hop to Hawaii.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by craz
Well that 738 is back to a 747 , and when I was on it it was Empty. So as much as we like the 747 over the 738, unless they are selling tkts on that route CO was probably correct in using the 738, since if most folks are simply as I did using it as a way to get a HKG & SIN stops onto 1 tkt for the price of a HKG tkt , it doesnt make any sense to me

Any carrier has to do what will increase its bottom line and not what will be a better flight for its Elites
i was on that flight in Feb both ways the flight was FULL 100%... How are they going to use a 737?

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
If I can secure an upgrade, I will fly EWR-HNL over a connection on the west coast. The mini E+ cabin doesn't look terrible either.
I love the ORD or EWR flights its so much better to fly 9+ hr in one plane rather than stopping in LAX/SFO. Also from YYZ we just fly to one airport and arrive in HNL after a great nap...^

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 19, 2013 at 9:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
I've lived in the DC area for 21 years now. We've been to Hawaii twice in those 21 years. We've been to the Caribbean 7 times.

Don't get me wrong, we love Hawaii. But you don't decide to pop out to Hawaii for a four day weekend. You do in the Caribbean.
August, September and early October can be "dicey" in the Caribbean. Better to be in Hartford, Hereford or Hampshire.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by craz
There are no CPUs on the iAD-HNL flight

The flights can be packed I flew via IAD on a $449 out of JFK, so if they are packed due to the fare war out of NY, doesnt mean they are making any $$$ on the flight, all it says is the flight is full. And if they arent making any $$ no sense flying it.
No CPUs - but RPUs and GPUs both work if R class is available.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Are we really in full-on meltdown mode over a long, thin, low-yield domestic route going seasonal during a ten-week period of soft demand?

It is still scheduled to operate on Saturdays (when many timeshares turn over) during the fall, and is back daily in the winter when traffic picks back up. I fail to see how this warrants a slew of pot shots against Continental... oh wait, never mind.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
Are we really in full-on meltdown mode over a long, thin, low-yield domestic route going seasonal during a ten-week period of soft demand?

It is still scheduled to operate on Saturdays (when many timeshares turn over) during the fall, and is back daily in the winter when traffic picks back up. I fail to see how this warrants a slew of pot shots against Continental... oh wait, never mind.
Obviously, this route has emotional resonance.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
United has been flying to Hawaii for over 50 years and UA has had a hub at IAD for more then 25 years. The merger really did not bring in hardly any new cities into IAD to help support a nonstop IAD-HNL flight so I am not sure why UA felt the need to fly this route. Saturday service should be fine. The bottom line is the aircraft would be better utilized elsewhere.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. HI flights are full, but with pax flying on el cheapo and freebies.

2. UA and other carriers make 90% of their net revenue (profit) from their premium cabins.

3. IAD-PEK RT in F is $32,000. IAD-HNL RT in F is approx. $6,400. Sure, PEK is further, but not that much. Tells you that the HI market just doesn't support the kind of service some would like, but won't pay for.

Nobody is going to fly long-haul aircraft around to make non-paying folks happy.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:05 pm

It's been established that IAD-HNL has NOT been discontinued so it makes little sense to continue making arguments that this non-event is sensible.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Often1
1. HI flights are full, but with pax flying on el cheapo and freebies.....
You know this for a fact? I beg to differ - especially the EWR/HNL route up front.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:06 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by why fly
i was on that flight in Feb both ways the flight was FULL 100%... How are they going to use a 737?
They're not. To keep up with the situation (OT as it is...):

HKG-SIN went from 747 to 737 to 747 now to 777. As for the loads/yields, it will often be full. If the US-SIN loads aren't high enough to fill it, UA dumps lots of tour group/consolidator fares to pick up HKG-originating traffic. Just a bit of marginal revenue, but better than leaving it empty, or parked. Obviously on a random Tuesday that may not work as well as on the Friday flights, but that's still the basic strategy, it would seem.
Anyway, maybe the 777 will prove a better mix between operating economics and satisfying premium pax than the 737 did. Or maybe they'll throw a 767 on it next. Just keep trying stuff until they get it right, yeah?

Back to your previously scheduled IAD-HNL discussion. At least THAT flight's not a 737!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.