FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1435813-8-11-feb-winter-storm-nemo-travel-waiver-n-e-impact-uas-operations.html)

channa Feb 7, 2013 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by SunLover (Post 20206329)
Look for VDB opportunities during this time, and have suggested alternate routings planned (written down to refer to) if the opportunity arises.

I don't think it will be a good time for VDB opportunities. People will be on cancelled flights in/out; people who can't get through will no-show their reservations; people will be stuck unable to get to the airport, etc.

While it's always fun to see F0 Y0 on your flight, the chance of a VDB in this situation is quite low, IME.

As for the alternate routes, the inventory is very dynamic and will change frequently. What matters is what's available when you get there, not what's available now.

mduell Feb 7, 2013 6:43 pm

UA will cease ops 3p in NYC, and a few hours before that in the rest of New England. Expecting to resume noon or afternoon Saturday. Normal ops at IAD, minus the flights to the northeast.
Foreign carriers may operate in NYC Friday since the airports will be open, so try rebooking on a partner if you were scheduled on UA internationally.

mi88ke Feb 7, 2013 6:47 pm

Called at around 7:45 PM ET. My call was answered without hearing music. ^ When asking for my options, she immediately gave me the new route as if she were waiting for my call. I was kind of impressed.

Unfortunately, my return leg gets to EWR on Sunday, the other option was sold out. I canceled the flight eventually, but I was impressed with the interaction with the rep this time.

KansasMike Feb 7, 2013 6:56 pm

Here is the size of the blizzard: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...-blizzard.html

Note: Very heavy snow also likely at YYZ.

This storm will likely shut down air travel until at least Sunday afternoon and, more likely, Monday morning.

heathe Feb 7, 2013 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 20206694)
UA will cease ops 3p in NYC, and a few hours before that in the rest of New England. Expecting to resume noon or afternoon Saturday. Normal ops at IAD, minus the flights to the northeast.
Foreign carriers may operate in NYC Friday since the airports will be open, so try rebooking on a partner if you were scheduled on UA internationally.

Where did you get this information--that UA would cease operations in NYC?

Does this include EWR??

Thanks, I am still scheduled for a flight at 2:45 from EWR to DEN.

awc4 Feb 7, 2013 7:26 pm

I am currently rescheduled on the 2:29pm JFK-SFO flight connecting to YVR later tomorrow night. I was told that all the later JFK outbound flights have been cancelled for that route and that all the flights before are full in all classes. Should have left today, so we'll see what happens tomorrow...

dcsnowwake Feb 7, 2013 8:08 pm

what are your thoughts on Transatlantic routings out of IAD tomorrow?
Im thinking reroute via SFO lol

mduell Feb 7, 2013 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by heathe (Post 20206793)
Where did you get this information--that UA would cease operations in NYC?

Does this include EWR??

Little birdie + everything after 3p (20Z) is cancelled.

Yes, it includes KEWR.

Originally Posted by awc4 (Post 20206884)
I am currently rescheduled on the 2:29pm JFK-SFO flight connecting to YVR later tomorrow night. I was told that all the later JFK outbound flights have been cancelled for that route and that all the flights before are full in all classes. Should have left today, so we'll see what happens tomorrow...

Don't forget to turn out the lights - you're the last UAL mainline flight out of KJFK.

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake (Post 20207084)
what are your thoughts on Transatlantic routings out of IAD tomorrow?
Im thinking reroute via SFO lol

No impact - normal operations.

heathe Feb 7, 2013 8:29 pm

You may be right, but can you be more specific as to where your birdie roosts?

What is "20Z"?

I am in the position of either driving 95 miles to EWR tomorrow (to make the 2:45 flight) or deciding not to go at all. I am inclined to the latter but I would prefer to get to DEN if possible.

sbm12 Feb 7, 2013 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by heathe (Post 20207154)
What is "20Z"?

2000 Zulu, aka 8pm GMT, aka 3pm EST.

MagicSam Feb 7, 2013 8:33 pm

I had YOW-EWR and then on the south-west for 11 am Friday cancelled earlier today. Called and rebooked through ORD, where the weather should be fine tomorrow morning. Checked YOW departures page which says 9 am ORD flight is cancelled. United's site says it is on time. On hold to see what the story is.

Strange this is that all scheduled arrivals for United at YOW tonight are not cancelled. There are no in-bound United planes before my flight tomorrow. One would think that our plane would arrive tonight and not be affected by the light snow tomorrow morning in Ottawa, where most other out-bound flights are showing up as "on-time".

dcsnowwake Feb 7, 2013 8:35 pm

18 inches in newest update for NYC....this is getting ugly
4-8 for PHL now...insane

PaulInTheSky Feb 7, 2013 8:35 pm

Fortune Step 1

Driving to ALB, I was in another meeting so I didn't really pay attention to the snowstorm. Having known the fact that all the Express flights will be canceled tomorrow, I found out how fortunate I was to get out of ALB in the last flight of today.

Also:
1. I didn't book to leave on Feb 8 from ALB, or else, done and stranded.
2. I didn't book UA117, or else, canceled.
3. This option might seem even better than UA79 or UA803, which would leave a bit later.

Step 2: UA298 tomorrow EWR-LAX, then on UA802 LAX-NRT and NRT-HKG.

I was wondering whether the light snow will hit EWR early morning that would caused a small delay. Any small delay up to 45min will make it to be a mis-connection. I highly doubt the first flight out would be sold out by the time it closes the door.

Without a doubt, this flight and the next flight at 9a.m. are completely sold out at the moment.

Options:

1. Sit tight and hope for the best.
2. Ask for the voluntary change to UA79 if they need VDBs for the first flight out. I highly doubt I could get anything. UA79 isn't really that full at all, so I couldn't even be booked into full fare Y -> C that I would have hoped....

MagicSam Feb 7, 2013 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by MagicSam (Post 20207174)
I had YOW-EWR and then on the south-west for 11 am Friday cancelled earlier today. Called and rebooked through ORD, where the weather should be fine tomorrow morning. Checked YOW departures page which says 9 am ORD flight is cancelled. United's site says it is on time. On hold to see what the story is.

Strange this is that all scheduled arrivals for United at YOW tonight are not cancelled. There are no in-bound United planes before my flight tomorrow. One would think that our plane would arrive tonight and not be affected by the light snow tomorrow morning in Ottawa, where most other out-bound flights are showing up as "on-time".

Quoting myself...

United agent denied that all Express flights are cancelled tomorrow and that our flight show up in the system as on time. Not sure what to do.

mduell Feb 7, 2013 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by heathe (Post 20207154)
I am in the position of either driving 95 miles to EWR tomorrow (to make the 2:45 flight) or deciding not to go at all. I am inclined to the latter but I would prefer to get to DEN if possible.

Sit tight for tomorrow morning's update. What time do you have to leave for EWR?

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 (Post 20207179)
Step 2: UA298 tomorrow EWR-LAX, then on UA802 LAX-NRT and NRT-HKG.

I was wondering whether the light snow will hit EWR early morning that would caused a small delay. Any small delay up to 45min will make it to be a mis-connection. I highly doubt the first flight out would be sold out by the time it closes the door.

Without a doubt, this flight and the next flight at 9a.m. are completely sold out at the moment.

Options:

1. Sit tight and hope for the best.
2. Ask for the voluntary change to UA79 if they need VDBs for the first flight out. I highly doubt I could get anything. UA79 isn't really that full at all, so I couldn't even be booked into full fare Y -> C that I would have hoped....

Per the NWS forecast around 3 hours ago, they expect light snow before sunrise, then snow and rain mix during the day with no significant accumulation. That implies deicing operations, which likely means delays. I'd take UA79.