FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1435813-8-11-feb-winter-storm-nemo-travel-waiver-n-e-impact-uas-operations.html)

cordelli Feb 6, 2013 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by SJOFlyer (Post 20197966)
I have MUC-EWR on the 9th with a GPU confirmed, how serious is the storm? I have a layover of 5+hours at EWR before going to SJO and actually was thinking of going to Times Square cause needed to buy something.

Nobody knows yet, it's being called a nightmare to forecast especially in the New York area. The Wall Street Journal is calling it a

Weather Journal: Snowstorm of Uncertainty Nears

If the snow is not as major as an event as some are saying, getting into Times Square should not be a huge issue, the storm is expected to be over by early Saturday in the New York area.

CDKing Feb 6, 2013 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 20197902)
so the fare differnece means that i need to same booking class only, right?
first time into weather waiver in UA. the fare that i booked was no longer there - obviously, for a MR.

When do we have to decide what we want to do? I tried using the website but its not finding anything in G. I tried EF as well and there is no G to LAS for any day i checked. I guess i'm out of luck unless flight gets cancelled or "Signifigantly Delayed" Anyone know what length of delay needs to be for refund?

pbd456 Feb 6, 2013 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 20198056)
When do we have to decide what we want to do? I tried using the website but its not finding anything in G. I tried EF as well and there is no G to LAS for any day i checked. I guess i'm out of luck unless flight gets cancelled or "Signifigantly Delayed" Anyone know what length of delay needs to be for refund?

i have no idea... i have been very lucky that bad weather never hit me unil this time. in sandy, i was able to reroute on a different city but on the same day. but it seems that i shoud not fly at all...

amejr999 Feb 6, 2013 2:03 pm

This is a pretty unhelpful waiver. For people who might want to travel tomorrow (for example) instead of Saturday, there has to be availability in the same fare class.

CDKing Feb 6, 2013 2:08 pm

My friend called and cancelled her reservation and they said she can pay fare difference at a later date when she rebooks (within 1 year of initial ticketing) How do we know they wont forget later that there was a weather waiver and try to charge $150. I dont mid sitting on a credit as i know i will be booking before the 1 year point of 12/2013

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 20198070)
i have no idea... i have been very lucky that bad weather never hit me unil this time. in sandy, i was able to reroute on a different city but on the same day. but it seems that i shoud not fly at all...

UA wanted to bring me to EWR the day before Sandy after my flight cancelled. I ended up staying in LAX and had them put me on a return flight straight to BOS a few days later.

edcho Feb 6, 2013 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 20198056)

I called as I am due to travel on Friday morning -- the agent was very helpful (but awkwardly singing to me... I kinda freaked out and laughed "with" her). She booked me into M (up from K) in regards to the travel waiver.

pbd456 Feb 6, 2013 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 20198124)
I called as I am due to travel on Friday morning -- the agent was very helpful (but awkwardly singing to me... I kinda freaked out and laughed "with" her). She booked me into M (up from K) in regards to the travel waiver.

but u travel on the same day?

babiemindy Feb 6, 2013 2:34 pm

Sorry couldn't find this answer quickly anywhere... for a flight leaving BOS at 6am on Saturday, any chance to get United / USAirways codeshare to change the origination into JFK/LGA?

I know these cities are not co-terminals at all but I'm just thinking I'll have a better chance of leaving from NYC than BOS on Saturday morning (I'm located in NYC but was leaving with a friend that lives in BOS).

TIA!

mht_flyer Feb 6, 2013 2:39 pm

I basically didn't want to wait for the "waivers" to happen. I tried calling in earlier this morning and seeing if they would waive the fee, no go.

Called again, changed my RT to a one-way return for Sunday, paid 23.00 but they waived the change fee for that.

Then booked a one way out of Boston for tomorrow.

It was WAY cheaper (by over 200.00) then paying for the change fee and changing the outbound flights. I sometimes think when you change a ticket, you don't always get the "best" fare available. When I tried to do a online change, it was showing "H" for Thursday flight I wanted, but booking it now as a one way, I was able to get a "Q" which is bit cheaper.

Bad thing is though, doing all this, one way last minute, means no TSA Pre for me tomorrow :(

SJOFlyer Feb 6, 2013 2:54 pm

Called in got a good rep that booked me HEL-FRA-IAH-SJO all on a Y fare, so got the upgrade for IAH-SJO, I was originally booked on W fare, no charge whatsoever. Anyone knows if I will get the 150% PQM bonus?

Going to take a look into upgrading FRA-IAH on Lufthansa on the A380 now...

edcho Feb 6, 2013 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 20198209)
but u travel on the same day?

I moved it up from Friday to Thursday evening.

ralfp Feb 6, 2013 3:04 pm

What about Specials?

The weekend specials (LINTERNET fares) do not allow SDC.

Has anyone been able to do SDC on those during a weather waiver? As a 1K the fee is waived for me anyways, but the no SDC policy is enforced online. I have been able to standby (confirmed or otherwise) at the airport on these fares, but never online.

Seph87 Feb 6, 2013 3:29 pm

Originally I was on the 6am BOS-SFO on Saturday, but had to reschedule to the 10:44am BOS-SFO on Friday. There was a BOS-ORD-SFO flight that departed around 8am, but I didn't take it because I was worried about ORD being backed up from when the storm hits Chicago Thursday night/Friday morning.

Hopefully BOS is still clear at 10:44am and we make it out of the gate. Right now weather forecasts are predicting the snow will start around 9-10am Friday morning.

haddon90 Feb 6, 2013 3:42 pm

i wonder how this will affect the rest of the country. i am doing a mini MR on saturday, LAX-PDX-SEA-SFO-LAX and all of a sudden the flights are getting very tight. would LOVE to get a bump.

bob_the_d Feb 6, 2013 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp (Post 20198448)
The weekend specials (LINTERNET fares) do not allow SDC.

Has anyone been able to do SDC on those during a weather waiver? As a 1K the fee is waived for me anyways, but the no SDC policy is enforced online. I have been able to standby (confirmed or otherwise) at the airport on these fares, but never online.

i have no idea what's going to happen. i just picked up one of those fares this morning before i read about the weather. i'm departing EWR on saturday morning though, so hopefully the majority of the storm will have passed by then...