FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1435813-8-11-feb-winter-storm-nemo-travel-waiver-n-e-impact-uas-operations.html)

buckeyefanflyer Feb 7, 2013 12:22 pm

Weather.Com. Forecast says snow turning to rain and high in the upper 30,s.

cordelli Feb 7, 2013 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer (Post 20204546)
Weather.Com. Forecast says snow turning to rain and high in the upper 30,s.

Then it says for tomorrow evening

Rain and snow in the evening, becoming snow late. Windy. Low 26F. Winds N at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precip 90%. Snow accumulating 5 to 8 inches.

Every time there is a weather event people are wondering why flights are being canceled, because their weather report is something different than somebody else's. Each time it's the same thing, cancellations now take place days before the event, because no airline wants to take the hit for a tarmac delay and the on time stats.

Clarkcc1 Feb 7, 2013 12:32 pm

Quick Q guys... so I see my EWR-SJU on Sat is canceled already... which I had used miles to upgrade confirmed into R at booking a long time ago. If UA cancels a flight (as opposed to using the voluntary waiver in effect) is there any recourse in getting R space opened up on the flights you're rebooked onto? Of course I expect the answer to be no but if anybody has any tricks to share it would surely be useful ^

FlyinHawaiian Feb 7, 2013 12:32 pm

This is what NYC employees of my company were told:

Please be advised that Winter Storm Nemo is forecasted to impact the Tri-state area beginning this evening and continuing through Saturday. The storm is predicted to progress as follows:

• Thursday Night: Snow is not expected until late in the evening or in the early hours of Friday morning. Accumulation of less than an inch is expected.
  • Friday Morning: Rain will begin around 6am, forming a mix of snow and sleet. Impact on the morning commute will be limited.
  • Friday afternoon: By noon, precipitation will be mostly rain.
  • Friday evening: Heavy snow to begin around 9pm. Accumulation of 3-7 inches is currently expected.
  • Saturday morning: Snow is expected to continue through noon.

ralfp Feb 7, 2013 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp (Post 20198448)
The weekend specials (LINTERNET fares) do not allow SDC.

Has anyone been able to do SDC on those during a weather waiver?

To answer my own question, I was able to rebook online (more than 24 hours out) to another flight/destination/day. Nothing is the same ('cept the fare class); the origin, destination, date, time, etc. are different.

CDKing Feb 7, 2013 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sterndogg (Post 20204505)
LOVE the busy tone from the "1K Call Center"...deja vu with Sandy.

I'm glad I called when I called. 5 second hold. Agent actually answered as "1K Desk"

capkor Feb 7, 2013 12:54 pm

My flights for tomorrow cancelled BCN-EWR-IAH, changed to BCN-FRA-IAH on Lufthansa and i fly Airbus 380 for the first time.

So at the end it will be a great new experience thanks to the storm

goalie Feb 7, 2013 1:07 pm

Gonna be interesting for me on Saturday as I'm returning CLE-IAD-SFO....

The UX inbound for my CLE-IAD is IAD-CLE with that inbound being PHL-IAD and that flight has already been canceled

and

The inbound for my IAD-SFO flight is BOS-IAD at 9:36 and as of now, that flight is still on schedule (tho the 6am flight BOS-IAD has already been cancelled)

kyte Feb 7, 2013 1:50 pm

Going on 30 minutes on hold. Anyone actually get through in the last half hour?

pizzabox Feb 7, 2013 2:06 pm

Was on hold for quite sometime. Asked for a few reroutes and changes in origin airport away from the snow. The agent made the changes and put me on 30 minutes hold to get it over to a supervisor/rate desk/more people. She came back on the line and apparently the ticketing system is down :mad:. The reservation is in but I've been told to wait for a bit for it to ticket. Some of the segments were bumped up to V/Q/E due to lack of K.

FortFun Feb 7, 2013 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 20204751)
I'm glad I called when I called. 5 second hold. Agent actually answered as "1K Desk"

Same for me (both parts). Between 10:30 and 11 Mountain.

channa Feb 7, 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by joony (Post 20205243)
Was on hold for quite sometime. Asked for a few reroutes and changes in origin airport away from the snow. The agent made the changes and put me on 30 minutes hold to get it over to a supervisor/rate desk/more people. She came back on the line and apparently the ticketing system is down :mad:. The reservation is in but I've been told to wait for a bit for it to ticket. Some of the segments were bumped up to V/Q/E due to lack of K.

Yes, I tried to change an existing ticket, and even searching yielded several errors. CO's systems can't keep up with this sort of stuff.

And CO's business processes are exacerbating it. The fact that supervisors are needed to approve reroutes and OALs add time to each request, and compound the phone line issues.

Maybe one of the reasons that CO is so quick to cancel is because they know they do not have the infrastructure to expeditiously rebook customers.

Clarkcc1 Feb 7, 2013 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 20205284)
Yes, I tried to change an existing ticket, and even searching yielded several errors. CO's systems can't keep up with this sort of stuff.

And CO's business processes are exacerbating it. The fact that supervisors are needed to approve reroutes and OALs add time to each request, and compound the phone line issues.

Maybe one of the reasons that CO is so quick to cancel is because they know they do not have the infrastructure to expeditiously rebook customers.

Exactly. So pathetic this far into the merger they still can't handle IRROPS like pmUA could.

"Another change you'll like!" - SMI/J

salesna Feb 7, 2013 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by kyte (Post 20205139)
Going on 30 minutes on hold. Anyone actually get through in the last half hour?

40 minutes and counting.

afCAMEO Feb 7, 2013 2:25 pm

My flight to Newark from Cleveland tomorrow was cancelled around 2:40 this afternoon so i suspect United won't be getting flights in or out tomorrow, at least afternoon and evening.