FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   8-11 Feb. Winter Storm Nemo Travel Waiver for N.E. and Impact on UA's Operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1435813-8-11-feb-winter-storm-nemo-travel-waiver-n-e-impact-uas-operations.html)

aacharya Feb 8, 2013 8:27 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 20208693)
I hope that was a sarcastic remark. Major weather in one part of the country causes a ripple effect system wide especially when a hub could be involved.

That particular OP, living in CLE, is a little bitter at UA in general - and has made a lot of snarky remarks re: the NY/NE weather lately.

mduell Feb 8, 2013 8:59 am

Originally Posted by heathe (Post 20208325)
We should leave by 11:00 (and we cannot leave before that because of local commitment). My worry is that we depart and get to EWR and then the flight is either cancelled or delayed. And then we have to travel back home.

Probably best just to stay put.

Your plane is on the way from Miami and they're sticking to the 3p shut down so far.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N515UA

goalie Feb 8, 2013 8:59 am

The inbound flight (UA609, 757) BOS-IAD on Saturday for my IAD-SFO flight (same a/c) just cancelled but my flight is still scheduled. Wonder if they'll roll out a spare 57 (assuming they have one at IAD), swap to another a/c or cancel it. Gonna be fun.....;)

To add: Looks like (for now) my new inbound a/c for my flight on Saturday is now UA260 ex-SEA arriving tonight

channa Feb 8, 2013 9:04 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill (Post 20209249)
My rebooked SNA-SFO-PHL had the PHL leg cancelled (again), so UA rescheduled SFO-PHL to Sunday, leaving today's SNA-SFO leg intact. As much as I love SFO, it's just not in the cards right now, so I had to cancel the entire trip. :(

Why?

There's plenty of room into PHL, and PHL is not supposed to be so bad.

This morning SNA-ORD-PHL with ORD-PHL on US

Around noon SNA-IAH-PHL with IAH-PHL on US

It's only UA that's going bat crazy with PHL cancellations.

buckeyefanflyer Feb 8, 2013 9:13 am

Actually EWR is one of my favorite airports. The weather issues that will shut down EWR is one of the evils of the hub and spoke system. That is why I ask why the TLV operation could be moved to IAD. Same with some of the LHR flignts. It just seems they want everyone to cancel their plans and rebook using the waiver. They need to reroute traffic using other hubs and with all these mergers this would make it easier but none of the airlines seem to ever do it.

xray Feb 8, 2013 9:25 am

Was supposed to be on UA526 SFO-YYZ today which was cancelled...
When I called to re-book (hopeful for the AC departures today), the agent told me they were not allowed to book on AC at that time...and offered me Econ on Sunday or Biz seats on Tuesday ! Did anyone else encounter this resistance ?

channa Feb 8, 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by xray (Post 20209818)
Was supposed to be on UA526 SFO-YYZ today which was cancelled...
When I called to re-book (hopeful for the AC departures today), the agent told me they were not allowed to book on AC at that time...and offered me Econ on Sunday or Biz seats on Tuesday ! Did anyone else encounter this resistance ?

That's nonsense. Those are legacy CO rules, so you were probably talking to a CO agent.

They can book to AC no problem. Some people have reported rebooks on DL, which is not even Star.

Call back and get another agent.

Wx4caster Feb 8, 2013 9:36 am

Just noticed that UA already cancelled EWR-HNL on Sunday, 2/10. Anyone seeing cancellations out beyond Sunday? UA's current Feb 8/9 travel waiver dates need an urgent update.

So far, my reroute plans have gone very smoothly; HNL-DEN last night in just under 6 hours!

MagicSam Feb 8, 2013 9:43 am

My morning:

Earlier I mentioned that our YOW-EWR launch leg had been changed to YOW-ORD. United got one plane out of YOW this morning (where it isn't that bad) and it went to Chicago. Not our plane, though. We got to the airport at 5:50 a.m. the United lines had already stopped moving. Our flight still showed up as on-time up until then. Refreshed my phone 15 minutes in and saw that it was cancelled. Waited in line for 2.5+ hours. Mood was not great. The staff was not competent. The United phone lines were overloaded and when you got to an operator, the calls just got dropped. This happened to a few of us.

When it our turn in line, the first option we were presented was to fly to LGR (or maybe it was JFK?) tomorrow, do a land transfer to EWR and then continue on to our final destination (south-west). I just looked at her blankly.

Anyway, 45 minutes later, through me looking at possibilities on the phone & the agent checking seats, I got us tickets tomorrow, where the weather in my part of the world should be better. United, however, is not sending anything out of YOW until Sunday. So it's AC for YOW-YYZ and then United to ORD and on south. Ottawa, Toronto & Chicago are all partly sunny with low chance of precipitation tomorrow.

If I didn't didn't already need a vacation I need a big one now.

Question: we come home in a week: if I call United when it calms down a bit, would they waive the fee if I change the return date to a day later?

heraclitus Feb 8, 2013 9:47 am

Originally Posted by MagicSam (Post 20209955)
Question: we come home in a week: if I call United when it calms down a bit, would they waive the fee if I change the return date to a day later?

Good question. I was wondering the same thing... after the frenzy to rebook the outbound flights I later thought maybe I should have extended by trip by a couple of days. But I'm in no mood to spend an hour waiting to talk to a UA agent to (maybe) find out if I can have the fees waived.

xray Feb 8, 2013 10:20 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 20209856)
That's nonsense. Those are legacy CO rules, so you were probably talking to a CO agent.

They can book to AC no problem. Some people have reported rebooks on DL, which is not even Star.

Call back and get another agent.

I thought it was crazy too... unfortunately with the long phone waits, I just called Aeroplan and changed to AC (it was an AE award ticket) for Sat. I shouldn't complain because weather here in SFO is way better than in YYZ at the moment. I'll just go temper my frustration with UA by having dim sum at Yank Sing :)

CMK10 Feb 8, 2013 11:02 am

I'm currently ticketed to fly LGA-IAD-RDU on Sunday the 10th. The LGA-IAD flight was 9s across the board until the last couple days and now it's zeroed out. I'm hoping I might get a bump out of this. Of course, I have to get to New York in the first place (currently arriving on AA at EWR tomorrow (Saturday) at 2 PM). That's somewhat of a big if currently.

heathe Feb 8, 2013 11:17 am

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 20209649)
Your plane is on the way from Miami and they're sticking to the 3p shut down so far.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N515UA

We decided to stay put (it is snowing up here in upstate New York and has been since shortly after 11:00 a.m.). Oddly, the UA website (and the site, flight aware) still shows the 2:45 flight (407) as scheduled to leave. But when I called UA and finally got hold of an agent, the agent said the flight was cancelled and refunded our money.

By the way, the agent was efficient, courteous and cordial.

Orion Feb 8, 2013 11:23 am

looking out for you

I like Milesmuncher's plan (see above page). I am flying from BWI to SAN by way of SFO on Saturday. My flights should be unaffected by the northeast storm. If you can safely do so, I want all of you who can't get out of closed airports to get in your cars and fly United out of BWI to get to your destinations on Saturday. And be sure to show up on time. You can help me get bumped off my flight.

bwiflyer01 Feb 8, 2013 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 20210580)
I like Milesmuncher's plan (see above page). I am flying from BWI to SAN by way of SFO on Saturday. My flights should be unaffected by the northeast storm. If you can safely do so, I want all of you who can't get out of closed airports to get in your cars and fly United out of BWI to get to your destinations on Saturday. And be sure to show up on time. You can help me get bumped off my flight.

I'm also flying BWI-SFO-SAN on Saturday and still looks like there's still room on both flights. I wonder how many people are willing to drive down to BWI.