Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is UA's baggage system so poor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Well, now, this is mystifying. We have disagreed on countless topics, most of which are a matter of opinion and hence open to debate.

This is a matter of fact. I am describing what actually happened to me and all others I flew with at IAH, and I backed it up with two photos.

Assuming that you also flew sCO, and assuming there is only one place to pick up bags and clear through customs at IAH, and given that what I photographed is the scene right after clearing customs, I don't understand how your experience could differ from mine? Unless, you're saying that you did go to the same area, but when you were there, the machines were staffed with agents, and there were no bags laying around and that when you were there, you could walk up to an agent in front of a machine and then put your bag into the machine?

Nonetheless, I am reporting what happened, this is fundamentally different to all the conjecture we debate regularly.
That's interesting. IAH is/was my home airport so I don't have to re-check bags for continuing flights, but I have to walk right past it every time I exit after I clear customs. While they have 6 machines, I've never seen more than a couple of them in use at a time. It's kind of like how they have 50 or 60 different windows for immigration and they never have more than 20 (if that many) in use at any given time and I've never seen a bunch of bags stacked up like that either. I wonder if they had a couple large flights come in at the same time that overran them or what happened. Based on my (limited) experience, I would say that what you saw that day was probably the exception rather than the norm.

Originally Posted by alexperi

btw - for 1K members, the "1K baggage desk" was fantastic and was able to provide a lot more information than on the website... but why not just put it on the website for everyone?!
Bolding mine...

That would require the programmers to spend time and resources on non-revenue generating projects instead of tweaking the ToD offer algorithms!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by invisible
Can you get miles the bag has flown into your account?
I asked that question of DL last year, when I flew LFW-CDG-IAD, but my bag went LFW-CDG-YUL-CDG-IAD, but they laughed and said no.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:12 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alexperi
Just to return back to the OP's original comment...

I had a recent delayed bag issue and the thing that drove me the most crazy was the website's continual "tracing continues" notice all day long... it only updated once I actually had received my bags. What's the point? Fix that and you'll get a lot more calm customers who know where their bag is and when to expect it...

btw - for 1K members, the "1K baggage desk" was fantastic and was able to provide a lot more information than on the website... but why not just put it on the website for everyone?!
I shared those exact sentiments with 1K Voice and was given a token gesture of miles and a promise to share the comments "with the appropriate management" or something to that effect. I suspect making the customer-facing bag tracing UI more up-to-date is not very high on UA's list of priorities.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by halls120
I asked that question of DL last year, when I flew LFW-CDG-IAD, but my bag went LFW-CDG-YUL-CDG-IAD, but they laughed and said no.
Well, always worth to try...
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by keisari
I am not one to apologize for United's many mistakes but could this be a baggage staff issue and not a United problem?
Many of these services are contracted and unionized which may mean that United has little/no say in how things are done.
I think the truth is that it's a bit of both.

This "45 minutes since we landed" story is not new. That's something I've experienced typically, in many airports. Some of this is in UA's control. Some is airport control. Since CO decimated UA's systems, it's only gotten worse. But, 45 minutes is not something worth complaining about.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I think the truth is that it's a bit of both.

This "45 minutes since we landed" story is not new. That's something I've experienced typically, in many airports. Some of this is in UA's control. Some is airport control. Since CO decimated UA's systems, it's only gotten worse. But, 45 minutes is not something worth complaining about.
While I agree with you completely, isn't it sad that, as customers, we now accept such a low standard of service form airlines? I grew up in this industry (nearly 60 years) and until only recently the airlines actually competed for customers based on their customer service. Now it is basically "take it or leave it" Sad, Sad, Sad!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by 1KPath
While I agree with you completely, isn't it sad that, as customers, we now accept such a low standard of service form airlines? I grew up in this industry (nearly 60 years) and until only recently the airlines actually competed for customers based on their customer service. Now it is basically "take it or leave it" Sad, Sad, Sad!
I agree with you that it's sad. Very sad. But as someone pointed out a few posts earlier in this thread, if we want to find the culprit, we need to look in the mirror, because, "we", overall, demand the cheapest of everything and reward airlines that try to provide a premium product with bankruptcy. Sure, there are a few here, and I count myself and assume you as well in this group, who are willing to pay for quality, but in large measure, most travel buyers care about nothing but price. Hence, the airlines are optimizing for the environment they find themselves in. Even the trashing of UA is part of this trend. All the destruction was done in favor of finding the cheapest solution, damn the consequences. And, $mi$ek and his regime were apparently given those marching orders by whoever gave them control, by whoever gave him a $14 million bonus based on achieving cost savings (aka synergies), by the BoD who allows this, by the shareholders who allow this, and by the stock market that rewards this. End of the day: These folks are just reacting to overall market forces. And, so we wait 45 minutes for our luggage and consider ourselves lucky when we get it at all.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by exerda
I shared those exact sentiments with 1K Voice and was given a token gesture of miles and a promise to share the comments "with the appropriate management" or something to that effect. I suspect making the customer-facing bag tracing UI more up-to-date is not very high on UA's list of priorities.
Why would it be? It doesn't bring immediate incremental revenue.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 18, 2013 at 3:55 pm Reason: OMNI
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Avis, & AMEX
My average wait is 30-45 minutes at IAH and it doesn't seem to matter whether it is a CRJ-200, 737, or a 767. I also do not understand why priority bags come out after regular bags. I have often thought about asking them to leave the priority tag off and see if I will get my bag sooner at IAH.

-Nathan
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by lostcomm
45 minutes after landing for bags to BEGIN to show up on the carousal at IAD tonight. Hard to believe I/we put up with this...

LC
In my experience, IAD is about ~30-35 mins.
If you think that's bad, you'll be delighted with LAX's speed (or lack thereof)
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
In my experience, IAD is about ~30-35 mins.
If you think that's bad, you'll be delighted with LAX's speed (or lack thereof)
I've been checking bags to IAD/LAX on a regular basis for the past 5 yrs on UA mainline. I find both airports to be similarly poor in the baggage department, with at least 25m and sometimes 60m baggage waiting time after deplaning. However, given that IAD's baggage claim and its UA gates are much farther apart than their LAX counterparts, I suppose LAX might have slightly lower mean waits. On the other hand, IAD has much better seating in baggage claim than does LAX, and is quite a bit roomier in general than LAX's cramped UA baggage claim area.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Keep in mind a lot of this has to do with the airport and is outside of the carrier's control.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:57 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
Keep in mind a lot of this has to do with the airport and is outside of the carrier's control.
True, though I would expect that at hub airports, UA has a bit more control over the process than elsewhere, and given the amount of traffic they control at some of those airports, it would behoove UA to make sure the process is as smooth as possible.

I suspect most of the delays occur in aspects of the process which are completely under UA's control, too, but that's just a hunch.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, United Silver
Priority Baggage Handling Questions/Problems

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I did a search and didn't turn anything up.

Has anyone else had issues with the "priority" baggage handling? It used to be one of the perks I liked the most know that on a flight my bag would be one of the first off. Lately it seems that order is completely arbitrary though. Once in awhile I can understand a bag "hiding" but this happens routinely now.

It's not the biggest perk we get, but it is supposed to be a perk. If UA has abandoned caring about this then they should stop advertising it as a perk.

Sorry this was a bit of a rant, but I wanted to hear if anyone else had similar experiences.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Well-known issue that goes back many years.
Try this thread and related.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jul 25, 2013 at 7:32 am Reason: added second thread link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.