FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why is UA's baggage system so poor?
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:29 am
XCstud

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Well, now, this is mystifying. We have disagreed on countless topics, most of which are a matter of opinion and hence open to debate.

This is a matter of fact. I am describing what actually happened to me and all others I flew with at IAH, and I backed it up with two photos.

Assuming that you also flew sCO, and assuming there is only one place to pick up bags and clear through customs at IAH, and given that what I photographed is the scene right after clearing customs, I don't understand how your experience could differ from mine? Unless, you're saying that you did go to the same area, but when you were there, the machines were staffed with agents, and there were no bags laying around and that when you were there, you could walk up to an agent in front of a machine and then put your bag into the machine?

Nonetheless, I am reporting what happened, this is fundamentally different to all the conjecture we debate regularly.
That's interesting. IAH is/was my home airport so I don't have to re-check bags for continuing flights, but I have to walk right past it every time I exit after I clear customs. While they have 6 machines, I've never seen more than a couple of them in use at a time. It's kind of like how they have 50 or 60 different windows for immigration and they never have more than 20 (if that many) in use at any given time and I've never seen a bunch of bags stacked up like that either. I wonder if they had a couple large flights come in at the same time that overran them or what happened. Based on my (limited) experience, I would say that what you saw that day was probably the exception rather than the norm.

Originally Posted by alexperi

btw - for 1K members, the "1K baggage desk" was fantastic and was able to provide a lot more information than on the website... but why not just put it on the website for everyone?!
Bolding mine...

That would require the programmers to spend time and resources on non-revenue generating projects instead of tweaking the ToD offer algorithms!