Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge - UA back in Term 1, new *A lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated CDG connection time/logistics/lounge - UA back in Term 1, new *A lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Wanted to add another data point. We arrived at CDGVAL Roissypole / Terminal 3 at 6:30 (stayed at the Hilton). Trip to Terminal 1 was easy and quick. After wandering around terminal 1 we finally found passport control. They were helpful and directed us to the Access No 1 lanes which were just further up the hall because we had business class seats. No one in line and we were through in 5 minutes.

After a break at the lounge, we went through security again picking the Access No 1 line and this was mostly quick. While I asked at the lounge, they didn’t explain that we would have to take out all liquids and iPads (even watches). This just took a little extra time and caused some momentarily panic. Overall I felt they were efficient and pleasant. My wives bag got some extra screening because she had a small bottle of special mustard (don’t ask) which was within the size limits but showed up in the scan. They didn’t tear her bag apart and were neat putting things back together.

we caught the 9:15 CDG - SFO flight but didn’t need to get there that early (but better too early than too late). Really a pleasant experience for a busy / hectic airport.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 6:00 pm

Am still confused -- the Star Alliance lounge is *before" security, and given the security backups at CDG, how does one know how long to stay at the lounge before going through security? This seems backwards to me. Is it because you can't easily travel between terminals at CDG, so they decided to have only 1 lounge, outside security?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Am still confused -- the Star Alliance lounge is *before" security, and given the security backups at CDG, how does one know how long to stay at the lounge before going through security? This seems backwards to me. Is it because you can't easily travel between terminals at CDG, so they decided to have only 1 lounge, outside security?
The staff will advise you to leave one hour before boarding. That's excessive in my experience; assuming that you are in business class you will have access to priority security ("Access No. 1") which is reasonably quick, especially considering that the security checkpoint has been relocated and has quadrupled in size. However, you do have to account for a long walk from the lounge to security. Leave 30 mins before and you'll be fine.

As for why things are the way they are, it has nothing to do with the fact that "you can't easily travel between terminals at CDG" (which isn't true.) CDG1 is an old terminal, and there is only so much real estate to work with. That's the crux of all its woes. The tiny satellite buildings were never designed for lounges, and thus lounges were built in the central terminal, before security. You'll ask---why isn't the security checkpoint in the central building, then? Same reason: lack of space.

During COVID, Paris Airports (ADP) took Terminal 1 offline and built a new underground connection between the central building and the satellites, as well as a new consolidated underground security checkpoint for non-Schengen flights, and a new dedicated space (above ground) for lounges. It's a major development. ADP also opened a new pay-in lounge after security under the new Extime brand. There is room for expansion, and both Qatar Airways and Star Alliance, which operate lounges in the central building, have the option to move post security. However, the cost is a major barrier. Qatar recently renovated their lounge and has no plans to move. Star Alliance, according to my sources, is evaluating options, but don't hold your breadth.

Why only one lounge for Star Alliance passengers? Real estate woes aside, it's a matter of economics. Star Alliance is a minor player at CDG and they're not even 100% under one roof (Air Canada, for example, is in T2.)

A few other fun facts:
  • The space that the Star Alliance and Qatar Airways lounge currently occupy in the central building is converted office space, thus the low ceilings and odd access hallway. Again, the terminal was never designed for lounges!
  • Back in the day, United had an International First Class lounge post-security, in addition to a Red Carpet Club and an Arrivals Lounge pre-security. The First Class lounge was so small that it was colloquially called the "broom closet." The only redeeming quality of this space was its location post security.
  • SAS also used to have a tiny lounge post-security over in the Schengen zone. It closed during COVID and was eventually demolished.
  • The only airline that has a relatively spacious lounge post-security is Lufthansa. The trick? They went underground. It works, but their lounge is essentially a bunker.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, slippahs and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Agree with Pat Plus that it's prudent to leave the lounge at least 30 minutes before departure (I actually recommend 45 minutes) because the security is AT THE GATE! That's how it is, and if you don't like it, then don't fly United at CDG

Priority (Access No.1) helps a little bit but the security at the gate can be quite "thorough" even anal (LOL) so leaving the lounge early is a must to avoid unnecessary stress. Vive la France!!!
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:21 pm

Premier access for eco tix worth it?

Hi, I have a economy ticket in August from CDG to ORD. Usually my experience is the check in line for the ORD flight is terrible because we're bunched up against the end of the CDG-SFO flight.

United is offering "premier access" for check in and security for $29 dollars. Is the premier check in line that much shorter? And does that get me into a shorter passport control line? I did this trip last year in eco in t2 and it was terrible.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by barely_flying
Hi, I have a economy ticket in August from CDG to ORD. Usually my experience is the check in line for the ORD flight is terrible because we're bunched up against the end of the CDG-SFO flight.

United is offering "premier access" for check in and security for $29 dollars. Is the premier check in line that much shorter? And does that get me into a shorter passport control line? I did this trip last year in eco in t2 and it was terrible.
As "Premier Access" is a United thing, you'll get shorter line at United counter (depends on agent desk assignments). I don't think buying it will get you anything at border control or security, but I may be wrong.
SPN Lifer and barely_flying like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 6:30 pm

reporting back. I did *not* purchase Premier Access, and United in Terminal 1 was very doable for the check in - ten minutes. Passport control took about 40min because it's August in France and ONE guy worked the booth for the "family line". Security was over in 5 minutes. I would have felt ripped off because no one can get you through passport security faster since the line was the line unless you're EU citizen over 18 (and then you get the scanner machine)

I think they want you to go through and perhaps spend money in the fancy mall they got there now. all the luxury brands are there it seems.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by barely_flying
reporting back. I did *not* purchase Premier Access, and United in Terminal 1 was very doable for the check in - ten minutes. Passport control took about 40min because it's August in France and ONE guy worked the booth for the "family line". Security was over in 5 minutes. I would have felt ripped off because no one can get you through passport security faster since the line was the line unless you're EU citizen over 18 (and then you get the scanner machine)

I think they want you to go through and perhaps spend money in the fancy mall they got there now. all the luxury brands are there it seems.
must be a hit or miss situation. I came back on Sunday morning and waited just a few minutes myself. Then went to the Star Alliance lounge where we were told to give ourselves an hour to go through security and that only took about five minutes as well. I imagine it’s much busier later in the day.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:46 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
The immigration checks are total hit or miss in both directions. Mainly it's ok, but every now and then it can be a mob scene but the new security area if term 1 helps a good deal.

FYI if you pay for premium access it includes a path to the head of the line at immigration...which you get by following signs for "access 1"
​​
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm hearing there may be a new Star Alliance Lounge at CDG in October, post security. Can anyone confirm details, especially when it will open (if true)? I'm going to have a long layover heading back to the US on October 15th.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
...post security.....
That alone would be awesome.

I hate leaving the lounge early, not knowing what security will be like and then finding myself in the cramped waiting areas for longer than need be.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 6:56 pm

I'm hearing there may be a new Star Alliance Lounge at CDG in October, post security. Can anyone confirm details, especially when it will open (if true)? I'm going to have a long layover heading back to the US on October 15th.
Sounds almost too good to be true, honestly it would be great. Please update us after your trip.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
I would love that but is there a place for it? I don’t think so but hope you are right. On another note while I think the retro-futuristic style of the terminal is interesting, the terminal needs to be torn down - just too outdated. Sort of like the PanAm world port at JFK
Old Oct 12, 2023, 4:42 pm

According to Star Alliance’s Instagram account, the new post security lounge is open at T1. Just in time for your travels.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 5:48 pm

Programs: United airlines mileage plus, British airways
The lounge is open and looks great.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/star...lounges-paris/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.