Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Pricing appears to be based upon the sector length, with a new purchase required for each sector.

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

Here's the list of specific UA planes that have wifi.

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights
Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A month of domestic flights is $49
Which shows the strangeness of UA's pricing.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oopl
Which shows the strangeness of UA's pricing.
No, it shows an understanding that many are not price sensitive or have bothered to check the alternatives.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, it shows an understanding that many are not price sensitive or have bothered to check the alternatives.
Right. You can also buy a one day gogo pass in advance of the flight for $19.00. So a $21 penalty for those who do not plan ahead.

It would be interesting to know the outer edge of the price insensitivity of business travelers on the premium t-cons. I'm guessing $40 is getting pretty close, especially considering how crappy the connectivity is.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Right. You can also buy a one day gogo pass in advance of the flight for $19.00. So a $21 penalty for those who do not plan ahead.
Do prepurchased Gogo passes work on United? I was under the impression that they didn't.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by diburning
Do prepurchased Gogo passes work on United?
Yes. gogo all day pass
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by diburning
Do prepurchased Gogo passes work on United? I was under the impression that they didn't.
The nes from Amex work too;
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
But don’t some of the planes use a different system? I could swear I read that somewhere.
How can I find out ahead of time if mine is gogo?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by chavala
But don’t some of the planes use a different system?
The 28J 752s, 170s, 175s, and CR7s have gogo.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Most expensive wifi I've seen for full flight so far. EWR-LAX $40.99. Luckily I had gogo coupon to redeem.

Got the same (outrageous) pricing on EWR-SFO this past weekend (on a PMUA 752). Even though I can expense it, I'm not spending that much of my company's money on a service with (well documented elsewhere) issues.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Strange new technical issue on my last two flights....the good - wifi was working and connection speed was actually decent....the bad - the connection to UnitedWifi would drop on its own if I put the phone down even for a minute and it took multiple reboots to get connected again.

Not sure if the wifi system was booting me off or it's my phone problem.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:47 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
EWR-IAH - $30 for entire flight
LAX-SYD - $22.99 for entire flight

Skipped the EWR-IAH buy. I didn't even bother to look on the IAH-LAX leg. But I'm writing this while on the LAX-SYD and speed tests say 22mb down and about 1mb. My usage is telling me that it's not where near that.

"
ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=818ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=905ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=841ms TTL=116

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 818ms, Maximum = 905ms, Average = 854ms
"
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skyccord
EWR-IAH - $30 for entire flight
LAX-SYD - $22.99 for entire flight

Skipped the EWR-IAH buy. I didn't even bother to look on the IAH-LAX leg. But I'm writing this while on the LAX-SYD and speed tests say 22mb down and about 1mb. My usage is telling me that it's not where near that.

"
ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=818ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=905ms TTL=116
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=841ms TTL=116

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 818ms, Maximum = 905ms, Average = 854ms
"
What does your ping have to do with your bandwidth?

LAX-SYN is satellite service, so 850 ms ping is pretty close to best case scenario, and is in no way inconsistent with 22 Mbps down and 1 up.

The 28J 752s, 170s, 175s, and CR7s have gogo.
I was on a 737 the other day and it said "Thales" was the provider.

I only (tried) to use it the last hour of the ORD-MCO flight, but it was atrocious.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by raehl311

LAX-SYN is satellite service, so 850 ms ping is pretty close to best case scenario, and is in no way inconsistent with 22 Mbps down and 1 up.
Yep. I had a similar speed reading at the end of NRT-IAH recently. I assumed that most others had stopped using the Internet by that point in the flight and that I had the connection to myself. In any event, after all of the griping here recently, I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:28 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by raehl311

I was on a 737 the other day and it said "Thales" was the provider.

I only (tried) to use it the last hour of the ORD-MCO flight, but it was atrocious.
Well latency can impact bandwidth and I just put it just to put it. Secondly my consistent 180KB download speeds proved to me that I was not getting 22Mb down. I wonder what kind of traffic shaping they have.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
I want to also report that on my recent flight from ORD to SFO, on a 777-200 that was recently refurbished with the new Polaris seats and Premium Econ, I received 30mbps down and 6 mbps up, on the Panasonic system. It was probably the fastest Panasonic system I've ever used, so I'm guessing it was one of those "next-gen" systems. This was also early in the flight when not many folks have logged into the WiFi yet, but I was satisfied with the speed and reliability throughout the entire flight, and being able to use the internet to work and surf throughout the entire flight was great.

I just hope they can fix the planes with the older Panasonic systems soon, because those are crap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.