Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Good for you. You can have my pasta. I'll take the lieflat seat.

(And btw, if you fly premium international, there are actually four choices, so you very well might be offered beef or chicken.)
No thanks. I don't want YOUR pasta. Or anybody's. And you're talking apples and oranges. This thread is not about lieflat seats.

And the thread you referenced above was regarding ORD-HNL. [Unduly personalized text deleted by Moderator per FT Rules.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 25, 2013 at 2:31 pm
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by Baze
FA got to my wife and me and said sorry only beef chipotle wrap left, ran out of salads. We said ok. FA went to next person, who must have had higher status, and said would you like the chicken salad or the beef wrap, they said salad and got it. Ok, I can understand giving priority to higher ups but why flat out lie? Just ask for first and second choice and say you will do what you can if run out of first choice. Don't friggin lie and then within easy earshot prove you just lied. And they even made a lame gesture of looking like they were counting how many salads had been ordered to "prove" they had run out.
Why is it a flat out lying or a lame gesture? If they have 10 salads, and at least 10 people have given it as their first choice, then there is no chance that you will get one. Therefore, they are out.

However, the next person was 1K or GS, and at least one of the salads was ordered by Plat or below, so that person did get a choice.

In that case, what you're asking for the FA to do instead is to flat out lie and "ask for first and second choice and say you will do what you can if run out of first choice", as the FA knew that they were already out of it.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
straight from 1KVoice:

"To ensure that we properly recognize our Premier customers in our premium cabins, we are expanding the meal order preference to include 1K customers effective November 30, 2012.

Previously, this amenity was offered only to our Global Services customers.

In the premium cabins, flight attendants will take meal orders front to back. Using the Inflight Final Report to identify customer status, they will manage main course entrée preferences out of customer view in the following order, ensuring Global Services customers receive their first choice:

Global Services

· Premier 1K customers

· All other revenue customers

· Pass riders"

The bs that is occurring up front is inexcusable.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by arturox2
On my trip last Thu to LAX, the flight attendants seemed to get it right.
Same here. On my recent EWR-LAX flt shortly after takeoff they took orders, I was about the 2nd or 3rd order they took sitting in 3A. Do they just take 1K orders front to back?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I've only seen front to back recently. Exception - last trip LAX-OGG, Ms. Trash boarded at her leisure (last person on, actually), only to find FA had taken orders during boarding (CO used to do this in BF lite IAH-HNL/OGG) and only the pasta was left..
This happened to me too. Boarded last in F cabin and purser told me that he took all orders during predeparture bev service and since I was last to arrive...you get what's left.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Baze
...FA got to my wife and me and said sorry only beef chipotle wrap left, ran out of salads....
Maybe the words "for you" were implicit.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

on 950 IAD-BRU the purser went front to back in BF, but on 951 BRU-IAD she went to passengers by status.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
1141 EWR-SFO meal order taken by status and then front to back. My wife and I had traded seats so she got my priority choice.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [2012/13]

I was on lax to Ord and Ord to bru and they went by status
Same bru to iAd on July 1 and iAd to lax
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:28 pm

Location: "And I'm in Colorado, when I'm not in some hotel..."
Programs: UA Global Services, IHC Plantinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Elite
Almost all of my flights this year have been less than 2 hours (therefore no meal served). I was excited to see if this was actually true on my LAS-ORD flight yesterday. However (seated in my favorite back row of F) I was asked not first, but dead last. Instead of a nice healthy looking grilled chicken salad I was got what was left - a nasty beef burrito. I didn't want to look like a jerk so I didn't play the "GS" card...
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Travelin Man 069
Almost all of my flights this year have been less than 2 hours (therefore no meal served). I was excited to see if this was actually true on my LAS-ORD flight yesterday. However (seated in my favorite back row of F) I was asked not first, but dead last. Instead of a nice healthy looking grilled chicken salad I was got what was left - a nasty beef burrito. I didn't want to look like a jerk so I didn't play the "GS" card...
I would've asked "Are you prioritizing meal orders by status"?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
I would've asked "Are you prioritizing meal orders by status"?
^ I wouldn't have let it go if I didn't get the choice I wanted (and I would've wanted the salad over the burrito mess, also).

Even if I ended up w/ the burrito, that FA might take notice that there are people that know of the procedures that they are supposed to be following. Maybe on the next flight, the FA may end moving towards following procedure to avoid another embarrassing challenge. The GS and 1K pax on the next flight may unknowingly appreciate your "being a jerk". I wouldn't even call it being a jerk. If the FA knew of the rule and chose to ignore it, then that FA is being the jerk.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:17 pm

I didn't get my first choice on UA304 (SFO-JFK) on Sunday, sat in row 11 of the old p.s. config. Said "I guess there are a lot of 1ks aboard?", FA said "Yes and they only loaded 4 pastas".

Part of the issue is UA always under caters the meals in F, if they loaded more meals and had better choices this would be much less of a problem.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alex_b
I didn't get my first choice on UA304 (SFO-JFK) on Sunday, sat in row 11 of the old p.s. config. Said "I guess there are a lot of 1ks aboard?", FA said "Yes and they only loaded 4 pastas".

Part of the issue is UA always under caters the meals in F, if they loaded more meals and had better choices this would be much less of a problem.
Some routes do have more 1k/GS than lower count choice, but a GS should have a pretty good chance at 1st choice. And LAS-ORD isn't going to full to the brim w/ 1Ks or GS in July.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Some routes do have more 1k/GS than lower count choice, but a GS should have a pretty good chance at 1st choice. And LAS-ORD isn't going to full to the brim w/ 1Ks or GS in July.
Sorry my point was a general one, I think that the LAS-ORD incident was an FA not knowing the rules or ignoring them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.