Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Do the FAs cross-fleet at all yet? I thought that they did.

Regardless, my good experience Saturday morning was on PMCO metal.

Last edited by goalie; Aug 26, 2014 at 10:20 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
UA505 today...stuck in 3F after changing onto the flight from my seat in 2E on UA1761 (hopelessly delayed).

FA announced loudly before we left that he had "5 cheesburgers and 7 salads, hopefully everyone will get their first choice..."

Sure enough, he reached row 3 and said "so everyone here wanted salads, right?"

I wasn't in the mood for a fight as I wasn't that hungry anyways, so I said nothing about it. Maybe I'll write in later. The cabin seemed like it was about half paid F and half upgrades.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
Do the FAs cross-fleet at all yet? I thought that they did.
I don't believe so. I'm sure one of our UA contributors can chime in if that's wrong.

I've had good experiences with crews from both sides lately. Even the flight where the FA did not prioritize, the service was otherwise quite good.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's not the visual clue - the manifest already has the code - it's sufficient training, enforcement, observation and coaching.
The manifest does, but the meal order sheet is blank.

PMUA used to print the meal order sheets with status in the boxes for the FAs to use.

This was lost when they moved to SHARES. Now the FA has to take a blank meal order sheet and remember to note the statuses and transfer them to the blank sheet.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't believe so. I'm sure one of our UA contributors can chime in if that's wrong.

I've had good experiences with crews from both sides lately. Even the flight where the FA did not prioritize, the service was otherwise quite good.
As of a month ago, they're not. The in-flight service (from both sides) seems a bit better to me recently, on average. Certainly better than the operations side, on average.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Another data point. Flew home today UA1675 SEA-ORD. Orders taken and meals delivered front to back. Was on a 739 but with a DEN-based flight crew which implies sUA people.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by megalab
Another data point. Flew home today UA1675 SEA-ORD. Orders taken and meals delivered front to back. Was on a 739 but with a DEN-based flight crew which implies sUA people.
Meals delivered before all orders taken?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA1675 is an sCO flight.

Orders taken front to back means nothing. The question is whether they prioritize.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Quote: Originally Posted by megalab

Meals delivered before all orders taken?
No. Guess I should've added "then" after "and".

Last edited by megalab; Aug 26, 2014 at 7:44 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:24 pm

No. Guess I should've added "then" after "and".
Ah. Then it sounds like the correct procedure was followed unless you have an indication that meals weren't prioritized in the galley.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Was on a 739 but with a DEN-based flight crew which implies sUA people.
No it doesn't. People have been transferred and/or crew could have originated somewhere else. Because a flight is to or from a former UA hub doesn't mean it's a UA crew. There is pmUA staff now in Houston and pmCO staff in Denver, etc
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
The manifest does, but the meal order sheet is blank.

PMUA used to print the meal order sheets with status in the boxes for the FAs to use.

This was lost when they moved to SHARES. Now the FA has to take a blank meal order sheet and remember to note the statuses and transfer them to the blank sheet.
I have noticed the good crews I've had have written and highlighted quite a bit on the meal order sheet before they even start taking orders.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Quote:UA1675 is an sCO flight.

Orders taken front to back means nothing. The question is whether they prioritize.
I would've guessed sCO based on 739 but didn't know they're stationing sCO crew in DEN now.

Anyway, serving meals 1A->1E, 2A->2E etc all the way to 5E implied no prioritization to me.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:52 pm

Anyway, serving meals 1A->1E, 2A->2E etc all the way to 5E implied no prioritization to me.
No, it does not.

Please read the wiki.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would've guessed sCO based on 739 but didn't know they're stationing sCO crew in DEN now.

Wrong again. Meals are almost always served front to back. Orders are supposed to be taken front to back and then prioritized in galley. In some cases, FAs jump around to take orders. They're not supposed to do it that way. You assumptions are batting zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.