Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Nor could it. Non-elite premium cabin pax who haven't checked in yet wouldn't have any proof. Same with people who purchased Premier Access for the flight
I suppose once the agent types in your info and see's your status level, you could be told to go off to another line. Or they could program the kiosks to reject people. Seems like that would lower efficiency though

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
In first class and couldn't work with the seat in front of her reclined?
I forget the plane, maybe 757, where the recline seemed alot more than usual. I had trouble with my laptop and it was impossible to get out from the windows seat without removing glasses from the center table thing.

But it also annoys me when they are reclined during take off and landing. Thats a safety issue for me to be able to get out. Thats why I usually opt for the last row unless its next to the lav.

Originally Posted by Zeug
... His boarding pass was on the combined armrest displaying his GS credentials. It was positioned face up and in the direction so that I and anyone in the aisle could read it.
Could you tell if the GS got any special attention (other than from you) because of that?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
Could you tell if the GS got any special attention (other than from you) because of that?
He did get asked for meal preference first, and there must have been another GS as I got skipped as a 1K. I doubt that was because of his boarding pass however. The flight attendant usually has a manifest with our last name and status when they come around.

He wasn't very talkative. Just immersed himself in a book. I gave a salutation and commented on the weather to see if he felt like talking, to which I got a lowly "uh huh".
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
He did get asked for meal preference first, and there must have been another GS as I got skipped as a 1K. I doubt that was because of his boarding pass however. The flight attendant usually has a manifest with our last name and status when they come around.

He wasn't very talkative. Just immersed himself in a book. I gave a salutation and commented on the weather to see if he felt like talking, to which I got a lowly "uh huh".
Maybe feign ignorance and outright ask him why he needs to have his BP out? Like does he get some special treatment. Or ask him whether you should also put down your own BP like him?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Was at the auto-gate at IAH like they have in FRA. There are no 'lines' just a mob. It's not like I held it above my head, but I kept my BP in hand so the '1' was visible to hopefully keep other '1's from try to push ahead of me.

Mrs.Tin's RPU hasn't cleared yet or the return leg. Since she is deep back in Y-, I wonder how she'll feel after a flight with ''normal' people, but worse seats.

I'm flying a bunch of LH metal next week. Whats the German word for DYKWIA? I've got to have some cool, long word for it.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Whats the German word for DYKWIA? I've got to have some cool, long word for it.
Weißt du wer ich bin? WDWIB
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Whats the German word for DYKWIA? I've got to have some cool, long word for it.
Not long, but cool: Schwanz mit Ohren
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I gave a salutation and commented on the weather to see if he felt like talking, to which I got a lowly "uh huh".
I do the same type of test to see if my neighbor is talkative. Although I have found that if I make some negative comment about UA, I almost always get an indepth conversation about some UA complaint. It seems to be the universal conversation starter.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: United Plat and falling
Originally Posted by NWstu
Weißt du wer ich bin? WDWIB
Surely it's, Wissen Sie wer ich bin. No? Weisst du is far too familiar
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by fischi
You most likely know better than I. I used Google Translate - probably a mistake to trust that.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I've had a similar experience where I was in the aisle seat and the gentleman next to me at the window boarded before me. FC DEN-IAD. His boarding pass was on the combined armrest displaying his GS credentials. It was positioned face up and in the direction so that I and anyone in the aisle could read it.

Maybe this explains what kind of jerk I am , but I couldn't let this invitation to mess with him go unanswered. I first put my elbow on the pass and "accidentally" knocked it into my seat. When I returned it to the armrest, it was upside-down. Within a minute or two he had corrected its position- as he had it before.

During the meal service, I dipped a corner of my glass in the butter and laid the glass on his boarding pass. I acted surprised and handed him the pass, saying "sorry, you may want to stow this in your seat back pocket". He politely said "No problem", wiped it off and back it went on the armrest! Positioned properly of course.

I know, I am the kind of trash that doesn't belong in FC. Funniest part, was when we were at the gate, I backed up in the aisle and let him out in front of me. The boarding pass was still sitting on the arm rest!
Given this story, it makes me wonder who was messing with who .
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
I've had a similar experience where I was in the aisle seat and the gentleman next to me at the window boarded before me. FC DEN-IAD. His boarding pass was on the combined armrest displaying his GS credentials. It was positioned face up and in the direction so that I and anyone in the aisle could read it.

Maybe this explains what kind of jerk I am , but I couldn't let this invitation to mess with him go unanswered. I first put my elbow on the pass and "accidentally" knocked it into my seat. When I returned it to the armrest, it was upside-down. Within a minute or two he had corrected its position- as he had it before.

During the meal service, I dipped a corner of my glass in the butter and laid the glass on his boarding pass. I acted surprised and handed him the pass, saying "sorry, you may want to stow this in your seat back pocket". He politely said "No problem", wiped it off and back it went on the armrest! Positioned properly of course.

I know, I am the kind of trash that doesn't belong in FC. Funniest part, was when we were at the gate, I backed up in the aisle and let him out in front of me. The boarding pass was still sitting on the arm rest!
LOL... Just the other day, SEA-ORD, a gentleman wedged his GS card in the F seat top between the seat and the directv. I couldn't make out the conversation but there was a little back and forth with a firm tone after the FA was asking first choice for breakfast. I can only assume he was asserting his rights right out of the gate

I didn't have the guts to swipe the card but I was tempted!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by eng3
But it also annoys me when they are reclined during take off and landing. Thats a safety issue for me to be able to get out. Thats why I usually opt for the last row unless its next to the lav.
I'm sorry but where safety is concered, I make no exceptions. I politely, but firmly, tap the person on their shoulder and tell them their seat is preventing a safe exit for me in the event of an emergency during departure and to please put their seat up until we're off the ground.

No one has ever refused through some have delivered an eye roll which I don't give a rip about. I won't see you again and your opinion of me is less important than my personal safety.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Was on CLT-IAD a week ago. In the gate area, some lady kept loudly mentioning to the gate agent how she always fly this route. The flight was initially 10 minutes delayed and she had a 40 min connection in IAD. Now she started asking for the gate agent to get a cart for her because there was no way she was going to make the connection walking: "I've had the gate agent call one for me in the past, probably because I have Gold status".

After about 5 mentions about how she flies this route all the time, we finally start boarding the ERJ-145. The GA forgets to give us green tags so the FA is mentioning this fact as we're boarding. The lady jams her bag into the overhead, and slides the cover up to see if it actually closes. In the process, she ends up breaking the overhead so that it no longer opens (I didn't stay to find out, but I think her baggage tag got caught which caused the jam).

Now the FA is getting pissy because she specifically mentioned to gate check bags. The lady retorts about how she's always been able to fit her bag with no problem because again, she flies this route ALL the time. She also tries to chat up a nearby non-rev and tries to explain that her bag always fits (as if the non-rev cares)

The delay ends up being 40-50 minutes causing at least 10 misconnects. She then feels the need to mention loudly "ugh now I'm going to miss my connection" as if it weren't her fault for this whole ordeal.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
The funny thing is, you could be Gold, or even silver and be doing short hauls back east and literally never be home. Marriott will love you, but United treats you like a credit card holder.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by fischi
I believe Kennen Sie carries the right insulting self important tone. Kennen is used with people Wissen is used with science and similar facts. It's similar to the difference between:

I KNOW the president and I KNOW who the president is

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.