Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
General PlusPoints (was GPU) earning & usage questions [Consolidated]

Note: the term journey is used here to denote travel between a pair of cities, with one or more layovers, and all segments of the journey are part of the same ticket, confirmation number, and record locator. A one way ticket has one journey. A round trip has two journeys. A multicity ticket has three or more journeys.

Can I apply a GPU to UA metal that is ticketed on non-UA ticket stock?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19321483-post23.html says you can.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19324013-post25.html says not always.

Can I use a GPU on flights operated by other airlines?
Yes, Copa, LH and NH.

On Copa, the rules are the same as for flights operated by UA. It can't be done online, so you have to call. The regular Premier desk can't do it, though, even though Copa uses MP as its loyalty program--you'll need to call (or be transferred to) the Star Alliance Help Desk to complete the process. (And it's an involved process for the agents--they have to duplicate the Copa PNR in SHARES and issue you a separate UA PNR. Betwen *A Desk hold times--no priority for Premiers--and the hassle it is for the agents, plan on 30-45 minutes to get this done. It may be simpler if you booked your Copa tickets through United.) Note that an RPU works anywhere on Copa that a GPU works, so don't waste GPUs unnecessarily.

On LH, the process is completely different. You can use a GPU on LH operated fights only if printed for a specific flight of a specific reservation. See
Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

I see GPUs for sale on Craigslist or eBay. May I buy them and use them?
We do not recommend this. If UA determines the GPU was sold, you risk having your M+ account terminated and loss of your miles, status, lifetime miles, etc.

If I have upgraded a flight with miles, cash, GPU, RPU, CPU, etc. from Y to J, may I upgrade to F with a GPU?
Policy does not allow this. However, once upgraded to business you may be offered a cash buy-up to F.

If I apply a GPU on a multi segment journey, what happens one or segments clear, and one or more do not?
The exact wording from united.com is:In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.

This has at least three interpretations when the journey consists of segments that have all lie flat seating, and one or more upgrades to BF or GF fails, but one or more upgrades to BF or GF succeeds. The first is that since the wording is not "if any United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded" the GPU is not redeposited. The second is that the GPU is redeposited, even if for example, ORD-NRT was upgraded, and NRT-SIN was not. The third is that if the longest segment was not upgraded to BF or GF, the GPU is redeposited. In practice, UA agents appear to follow the third interpretation.
UPDATE: The wording in the Mileage upgrade section is a bit clearer and probably also reflects the policy for GPUs.What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?
If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United BusinessFirst® and/or United Global FirstSM, and none of the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.

Redeposits don't always happen automatically, and when you call, you might find agents are trained to follow the longest segment interpretation, whereby if the longest segment is upgraded, even if not BF or GF, then the GPU will not be deposited. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21138703-post394.html of push back and eventual capitulation by UA.

Can I add myself to the wait list within 24 hours of departure?
No, all you can do is attempt to apply the GPU periodically until it clears into upgrade inventory if any opens up. The 1K desk cannot put you on the wait list inside 24 hours because SHARES transfers the flight to airport control.

Do the fare class restrictions apply to domestic flights?
No, you can use a GPU on any fare on any domestic/ any CPU eligible flight.

Is there a maximum layover between segments of a journey?
Unclear. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20453548-post221.html is an example of 38 hours, where the 1K desk applied it on behalf of the customer. What is interesting about this case is that 38 hours is well beyond a layover, which implies that in some cases, one GPU can be used for two journeys on the same ticket even if the two journeys are beyond 12 hours apart (12 hours being the pmUA rule – 4 hours for North American / “domestic” only flights).

How is the waitlist prioritized?
United.com details the process in the "Upgrade confirmation priority" section of this page.
For non-CPU flightsIf an upgrade seat becomes available, waitlisted customers are confirmed automatically based on the Premier® status of the redeeming account***, then fare class, then time of request.
For CPU flights, GS and YBM fares will be handled before GPU/Miles/RPU users and finally CPU requests. Within these groups upgrades are prioritized based on Premier® status of the redeeming account***, then fare class.
If not cleared until gate, it is believe the time factor is based on check-in time.

***On 4/15/15 travelers will no longer inherit the status of the redeeming account and will instead be prioritized by the status of the highest premier member on the PNR they are traveling on.

What is the relative waitlist priority of GPU vs Miles
Appears the use of GPU vs Miles has no impact on the waitlist priority.

May I cross two oceans with one GPU?
Yes if the entire journey is on one confirmation number and the max layover rule (above) is met.

Can I avoid upgrade lottery by booking only flights that have upgrade inventory?
Yes, see Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]. Note that you have to wait for the flight to ticket, by which time upgrade inventory can disappear. If so, cancel (within 24 hours of booking, so no penalty) and try again.

My GPU is still valid, but my journey starts after the GPU expires. Can I use the GPU for that journey?
No.

My GPU is still valid, but my journey starts before the GPU expires, and ends after the GPU expires. Can I use the GPU for that journey?
Yes if the initial flight scheduled departure is prior to expiration.

Can I let someone else use my GPU?
Yes. They will be waitlisted prioritized based on your status until 4/15/2015 at which point they will be prioritized based on their own status (or lack thereof).

If I let someone else use my GPU, do I have to be on the same reservation, same journey and/or same flight?
No to all.

What happens if there are multiple pax on the same reservation confirmation number and the reservation is split; will the GPU(s) that is(are) waitlisted on one or more pax stay with the new reservation?
Yes.

Why do Non-Revs get assigned seats in First/Business instead of upgrading paying customers?
UA’s policy is paying customers have priority for upgrades. However, per UA’s employee benefit package, Non-Revs can have access to unassigned seats if there are no waitlisted paying customers. This Non-Rev benefit is part of the negotiated employee compensation.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bldr1k
They are completely worthless for business travelers that book 1-2 weeks in advance. They do seem to still be worthwhile for vacation people (or the rare business people) who can book months in advance and look for R space.

I am amazed at the number of people booking trips 6-9 months in advance. I've flown 5 million miles and the longest in advance I've ever booked a vacation was 2 months.
I think you underestimate the number of business folks that are booking at 6,5,4,.... weeks. Understand that may not be the normal for your area, your job .... but I can assure your others have different travel horizons.

And as for vacation travel -- trying to book with less than 2 months does put you outside the norm. That may be your norm but it will put you at an disadvantage (unless you are willing to pay the price).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think you underestimate the number of business folks that are booking at 6,5,4,.... weeks. Understand that may not be the normal for your area, your job .... but I can assure your others have different travel horizons.

And as for vacation travel -- trying to book with less than 2 months does put you outside the norm. That may be your norm but it will put you at an disadvantage (unless you are willing to pay the price).
We're encouraged to book 3-4 weeks in advance if possible. If we book under 2 weeks in advance without an excuse we get a bit of a telling off. I work in a large IT firm, and by and large we can plan travel with that kind of time horizon.

For vacation travel, I don't know many people in firms I've worked in that haven't booked vacation at least 4-6 months out. Certainly we usually like at least three month's notice of vacation to help with scheduling projects.

Anyway this is beside the point. R space generally opens up at around T-24 so if you're proactive you can snag a seat, it needs babysitting and isn't ideal but it is what it is.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
A bit of "dishonesty" in 1K upgrade policy

(This will take a bit to explain.) In past years I have hit 1k several times. I fly primarily SFO/BKK several times a year. I used to use the "System Wide" upgrades to kick myself up to First.

Last year I started flying a lot again and bought 4 Business R/T. That came to just under 100,000 miles (96,000+). I contacted UA to see if I could buy 4,000 PQM to get myself to 1k so I could get the upgrades again.

The helpful lady looked at my reservation (paid Business Class) and told me I could buy the award accelerator on that ticket and get enough PQM to get to 1k. About $2,000. Since that gets me 6 upgrade coupons it seemed worth it. When I use "Miles and Money" to upgrade it's $600 + 30k miles each time. So 6 upgrades saves me $3,600 plus a ton of miles. So I asked her to confirm that if I bought the accelerator I could get the upgrades and save the money. She said yes. I bought the accelerator. I got 1k. I got the 6 upgrades.

BUT

Oh, says United (when I tried to upgrade), you can't use the upgrades on that fare. You have to fly a higher fare class to upgrade. (My tickets are $6,000 each R/T and the fare she told me I had to buy was about $9,000.) She pointed me to another spot on the UA site that listed the fare classes and mine wasn't on there. So they can't be used.

But the original "helpful person" told me they could be used and convinced me to spend $2,000. She was looking at my reservation and ticket at the time which is the same fare I'm still using. IMO I should either be allowed to use the upgrades or get my $2,000 back. UA doesn't agree.

Am I wrong in my thinking?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: United Gold
Unfortunately the GPUs can only be used on W-or-higher fares.

MileagePlus Upgrades Overview

Global Premier Upgrades

Note that on some flights, Global Premier Upgrades are not available for fare classes Z, P, S, T, L, K, G and N.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
... Am I wrong in my thinking?
Having not been a part of the conversation it is hard to judge but the upgrade policy and methods are clearly documented and as a past 1K it would seem you might have had some familiarity with the GPU/SWU fare requirements which have not changes for roughly 10 years.

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Unfortunately the GPUs can only be used on W-or-higher fares. ....
or Z & P fares which is likely the OP's situation.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG

MileagePlus Upgrades Overview
I think the OP did have the higher than W fare but it was probably one of those discounted business fares that are excluded from SWU usage!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I can totally see this happening. Customers get bad advice from UA phone agents all the time. Unfortunately, with UA these days it is pretty much always caveat emptor.

btw, did she mention to you that UA will stop flying to BKK on March 29?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
You can't really go so far as to say never trust a phone agent, because there are plenty of competent ones out there... but in a situation like this, you should never trust a phone agent.

1) Reservations agents are not Mileage Plus agents; they're noxiously bad at MileagePlus to be honest
2) Buying 4K miles for $2000 is pretty painful -- understand why you did it, but you could have spent $200 to get those in a day of flying.
3) Since UA will stop flying to BKK, and you are paying for C anyway, I recommend trying some other carriers. Their C will probably beat UA F in many aspects anyway.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by noah
You can't really go so far as to say never trust a phone agent, because there are plenty of competent ones out there... but in a situation like this, you should never trust a phone agent.

1) Reservations agents are not Mileage Plus agents; they're noxiously bad at MileagePlus to be honest
2) Buying 4K miles for $2000 is pretty painful -- understand why you did it, but you could have spent $200 to get those in a day of flying.
3) Since UA will stop flying to BKK, and you are paying for C anyway, I recommend trying some other carriers. Their C will probably beat UA F in many aspects anyway.
Not to mention the fact you can fly to BKK from the US in biz on airlines like EK or SQ that often have CHEAPER fares then UA (This is certainly often the case for F) It seems UA artificially increases their F fares as they know most of the few people that buy F on UA, do so at deeply discounted corporate fares

Few months ago I needed a one way BOM-NYC.....Both the EK and SQ one way FIRST class fares were CHEAPER then the UA one way business class fare:roll eyes:
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
It is amazing to me how important fare codes are to United and their impact on the customer, and how poorly they communicate about it. You have to turn on expert mode to see the different fares. The order of fares is random letters with out meaning. It's almost like they want you to use a travel agent to make sure that the fares class is right -- and then you run the Bulk Ticket PQD issue.

A complete cluster-Fudge, and it obviously leads to bad sentiment.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

or Z & P fares which is likely the OP's situation.
I know what you meant to say, but the juxtaposition makes it come out wrong.

OP you cannot use GPUs on Z and P fares. Currently the valid business class fare codes are D, C, and J.

When the business class fare codes were just Z, D, and C, a $6K fare would almost invariably book into D or C, and sometimes $6K on a TATL would buy one a A fare in global first.

But then CO-ization took hold, and with the introduction of P (which is often just an economy fare that books into business class, whatever that means, but you will find out when business class is oversold), $6K gets you Z or P. And to add insult to injury, P on LH earns just 100% PQMs.

Which is one reason why I moved moved my long haul business to AA/BA, crediting to AA. SWUs upgrade any business class fare; I am 2 for 2 upgrading to F on AA. It is like 2008 again.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr

Few months ago I needed a one way BOM-NYC.....Both the EK and SQ one way FIRST class fares were CHEAPER then the UA one way business class fare:roll eyes:
A few months ago I needed a round trip, COS/BLR, and UA/LH wanted $8K and it was still just a Z fare (two years ago this would have been a C fare for $6K and a certain upgrade on all four long haul segments). Though ex-SFO it was $4500. Were it not for the fact that the fare was a P fare and thus impossible to upgrade on UA or LH, I would have bought the repositioning flight. Instead I gave up, and booked AA/BA for $5K. Same situation this March, only this was booked after the award chart deval, and I have even fewer reasons to book UA long haul.

Last edited by mre5765; Feb 5, 2014 at 8:02 am
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
This does suck, but unfortunately rules and procedures and systems have just become so complex that almost no one can master them -- not even us FTers until we put all of our heads together.

Frankly, I always try to double check things here, where I think we have more (collective) expertise than anyone in the company.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by PushingTin
It is amazing to me how important fare codes are to United and their impact on the customer, and how poorly they communicate about it. You have to turn on expert mode to see the different fares. The order of fares is random letters with out meaning. It's almost like they want you to use a travel agent to make sure that the fares class is right -- and then you run the Bulk Ticket PQD issue.

A complete cluster-Fudge, and it obviously leads to bad sentiment.
Unfortunately, no different then other airlines (look at P class on SQ, a discounted first class fare) Why UA seems to make a mess of it is these ridiculous unlimited upgrades and how they choose to do them
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Bottom line is down the road they will find out they outsmarted themselves. I will now give 75% of my business to DL flying to BKK and UA will get the minimum I can fly to maintain Gold. They made the GPU's worthless for many people who travel to BKK and now they will suffer the business loss .

DL has a superior Hard product IMHO but their Sky Pesos suck but UA is trying to ruin their value of FF miles and already have for partner awards. So UA bye bye too bad you are too stupid to care.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I can totally see this happening. Customers get bad advice from UA phone agents all the time. Unfortunately, with UA these days it is pretty much always caveat emptor.

btw, did she mention to you that UA will stop flying to BKK on March 29?
No, that kind of slipped her mind, too. I found out when trying to book a flight for May.

For others who have responded, my issue is not whether or not there are rules, but that I feel I was misled into spending $2,000 for something that would never happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.