FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1409348-consolidated-global-premier-upgrade-gpu-questions-thread-archive.html)

samwkchan Mar 1, 2012 6:30 pm

Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]

I got a newbie question on using SWU.

I have an open jaw round trip from HKG to ORD, and then from SFO to HKG via NRT. The fare code is KLNCJA9. Can it be upgraded by SWU? Does it require only one SWU for the outbound flight and one SWU for the inbound flight?

WineCountryUA Mar 1, 2012 6:33 pm

K fares are not eligible for SWU usage for long hauls.

Once there is more than a 12 hour break between flights, it takes a new SWU.

Most standard RTs (versus some MRs) take two SWUs

more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html

samwkchan Mar 1, 2012 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 18114503)
K fares are not eligible for SWU usage for long hauls.

Once there is more than a 12 hour break between flights, it takes a new SWU.

Most standard RTs (versus some MRs) take two SWUs

Oh, I totally missed that K fares cannot be upgraded. :(
Sorry for asking this stupid question.

Update: What about RUs?

Update again: I got the answer. Thanks. :(

bsmnsr Mar 1, 2012 9:40 pm

Here's the relevant link on UA for SWUs. It might not be good after the 3rd:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1...gibleTravelers

sfonorth Apr 13, 2012 7:19 am

Changing upgrade instrument at check in from miles to SWU

I was checking in for a flight from SFO to PEK. The upgrade into C had cleared at booking with miles. As I didn't have SWU's available at the time of booking, I was told I could always use my SWU at checking in. So when I tried to do this at SFO, I was told this could no longer be done and I had to pay the copayment of $550.

Also, the agent berated me for not having prepaid the copay 24hrs before. It took almost 45min for them to process the copay at the airport.

So are these new policies or just a luck of the draw of the agent at the airport?

Then if these are new policies, can we now switch out upgrades that have cleared with miles to SWU ahead of time w/o risking losing the upgrade.

And has anyone been successful in getting a refund of the copayment in exchange for redeeming a SWU afterwards?

lax2010 Apr 13, 2012 8:06 am

Originally Posted by sfonorth (Post 18385722)
I was checking in for a flight from SFO to PEK. The upgrade into C had cleared at booking with miles. As I didn't have SWU's available at the time of booking, I was told I could always use my SWU at checking in. So when I tried to do this at SFO, I was told this could no longer be done and I had to pay the copayment of $550.

Also, the agent berated me for not having prepaid the copay 24hrs before. It took almost 45min for them to process the copay at the airport.

So are these new policies or just a luck of the draw of the agent at the airport?

Then if these are new policies, can we now switch out upgrades that have cleared with miles to SWU ahead of time w/o risking losing the upgrade.

And has anyone been successful in getting a refund of the copayment in exchange for redeeming a SWU afterwards?

I believe every time one tries to switch upgrade instrument, there is a risk of loosing the upgrade priority. At least that was what I was told by the BOS GA once longer time ago.

chicoflyer#1 Apr 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Okay, I'm getting ready for my first post 3/3 UA flight!

Flying sCO SMF-IAH-FRA and then with LH to AGP.

I'm was waitlisted (SWU to C) on IAH-FRA for several months. My SWU went off the reservation at 24 hrs as expected as I've been reading FT and an e-mail told me the ug request would be added back once I checked in. However, I'm not able to check online and even after over an hour with the "Premier Line" (no 1K desk anymore I guess and the agent spent most of the time talking to someone else while I was on hold) who finally asked me to check in at the airport and have them add me to the upgrade list. I think they gave up. She said the reason why I could not check in and get myself onto the waitlist may be because I have a connecting flight with LH. That sounds strange.

Is this standard operating procedure? I'm not trying to spike a discussion on shares vs, whatever other system out there, I just trying to understand if this is an exception or something I should expect in the future on these kinds of trips.

Side question: My SMF-IAH ug cleared months ago when I applied the SWU. Today at 24 hrs I got an e-mail saying they were unable to upgrade me to F, while I'm still in F showing on my reservation. Obviously I don't have any boarding passes. Should I be concerned?

cruisr Jul 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Tkt issued by LH but on UA metal GPU ?

If I purchase a ticket on a W or higher fare and it's tkts on LH but on all UA metal can I use one of my GPU to upgrade to J?

Can this be done online once I get a UA PNR?

I tried searching and came back with a gazillion threads. Sorry

allenkeys Jul 24, 2012 4:38 pm

How long is it taking currently for GPU's to deposit once 1K status is reached?

PanAmWT Jul 24, 2012 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by allenkeys (Post 18995168)
How long is it taking currently for GPU's to deposit once 1K status is reached?

Likely within a day or two. I have not reached 100K yet, but I exceeded 75K last week. The 2 RPUs were deposited into my account the very next day.

For us with a lot of flying each year,, particularly international flyers, better fly other airlines that are usually better than UA as much as you can, building credentials in another network, and postpone the UA flights to later in the year.

allenkeys Jul 25, 2012 4:54 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 18996973)
Likely within a day or two. I have not reached 100K yet, but I exceeded 75K last week. The 2 RPUs were deposited into my account the very next day.

For us with a lot of flying each year,, particularly international flyers, better fly other airlines that are usually better than UA as much as you can, building credentials in another network, and postpone the UA flights to later in the year.

MODS - I reached the thread through search, and didn't notice until now it is in the pre-merger furum. Could this thread not be moved to the consolidated forum?

The reason for me asking is I will hit 1K on 7/31 and my return TATL is on 8/5. I am hoping to apply one of the GPU's to my return if I get them deposited in time.

I understand the logic of building up credentials on another carrier. However, I would likely have to do without the benefits such as priority check in, lounge access, prriority boarding, and of course E+ on UA so it kind of defeats the purpose. I could potentially request a status match to DL, or try the AA challenge, but am not sure I would retain status next year. Last year I only just achieved Plat on UA, and did nothing significant on other non *A carriers at that.

PanAmWT Jul 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by allenkeys (Post 18997778)
MODS - I reached the thread through search, and didn't notice until now it is in the pre-merger furum. Could this thread not be moved to the consolidated forum?

The reason for me asking is I will hit 1K on 7/31 and my return TATL is on 8/5. I am hoping to apply one of the GPU's to my return if I get them deposited in time.

I understand the logic of building up credentials on another carrier. However, I would likely have to do without the benefits such as priority check in, lounge access, prriority boarding, and of course E+ on UA so it kind of defeats the purpose. I could potentially request a status match to DL, or try the AA challenge, but am not sure I would retain status next year. Last year I only just achieved Plat on UA, and did nothing significant on other non *A carriers at that.

Your situation is different from those of us who have unused GPUs that will expire before the next bunch of GPSs are dumped on us. You want your GPU as soon as possible while we want our GPUs as late as possible. The GPUs are very difficult to use after CO took over UA. Many of ours just expire. But this summer the TATL flights are quite empty, so many R seats may be available to you. I think your chance of successeful upgrade is quite high. Good luck!

allenkeys Aug 1, 2012 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 18996973)

Update is that GPU's were deposited within 2 hours of my status update to 1K.

In The 216 Sep 4, 2012 7:41 pm

I did a search of this thread but did not find the answer. I did not read through all 50 pages though so please be gentle.

Can a paid economy ticket that is upgraded to BF (R class) with a GPU subsequently be upgraded to GF with an additional GPU or other instrument? I assume that instruments are good for one class of service upgrades only but couldn't really find a direct answer in my search.

FriendlySkies Sep 4, 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid (Post 19254232)
I did a search of this thread but did not find the answer. I did not read through all 50 pages though so please be gentle.

Can a paid economy ticket that is upgraded to BF (R class) with a GPU subsequently be upgraded to GF with an additional GPU or other instrument? I assume that instruments are good for one class of service upgrades only but couldn't really find a direct answer in my search.

Nope- No double upgrades. Either Y>C or C>F, but not Y>F. (of course, there is always the possibility of an op-up, but I wouldn't count on it)