Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Systemwide Upgrade (SWU) questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:31 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver

Are all 6 SWU's posted in January? I have used two NRT BKK and BKK NRT and yet my balance shows only two left, should I assume there is a problem?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:36 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by sfo
Are all 6 SWU's posted in January? I have used two NRT BKK and BKK NRT and yet my balance shows only two left, should I assume there is a problem?
Yes -- all 6 SWUs post in Jan. However, SWUs are debited from your account as soon as you request an upgrade (not when you clear.)

So in other words, if you've used two SWUs, as well as requested two more upgrades via SWUs, you'll only have a balance of two. If not, than you might need to call into M+.

(and you can always review upgrade usage at united.com as well.)
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:40 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Yes -- all 6 SWUs post in Jan. However, SWUs are debited from your account as soon as you request an upgrade (not when you clear.)

So in other words, if you've used two SWUs, as well as requested two more upgrades via SWUs, you'll only have a balance of two. If not, than you might need to call into M+.

(and you can always review upgrade usage at united.com as well.)
Ok, that answers it, I have requested 2 SWU's for some flights to Europe in Dec returning in Jan. I did not realize that they would be pulled prior to the upgrade, Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
You can get a more detailed report of all SWU activity (usage, reserved, returned, expired, etc) on line using the options at the bottom of your E-upgrade Summary page. It will not only show what trips have SWUs reserved but also the date that your request went into the queue....
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:26 am
sfo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzpilot
You can get a more detailed report of all SWU activity (usage, reserved, returned, expired, etc) on line using the options at the bottom of your E-upgrade Summary page. It will not only show what trips have SWUs reserved but also the date that your request went into the queue....
Thanks^
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:04 pm

I want to book a r/t flight ex NRT for 2011. By the time, March, none of my current SWUs will be valid any longer. I do want to upgrade with a SWU then, and I will be 1K with way over 100K by then, so I will get my SWUs in January.. What should I do? Book like with an SWU and apply after Jan 2011? If I book normally without upgrade, how to get it to the W fare?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I want to book a r/t flight ex NRT for 2011. By the time, March, none of my current SWUs will be valid any longer. I do want to upgrade with a SWU then, and I will be 1K with way over 100K by then, so I will get my SWUs in January.. What should I do? Book like with an SWU and apply after Jan 2011? If I book normally without upgrade, how to get it to the W fare?
Booking the flight in W isn't a problem -- choose "Systemwide region 2" when searching on .bomb. You can book this whether or not you actually choose to upgrade.

I don't know if they will let you apply a January SWU to a March itin. If they do, you can change to the later-expiring SWU in January.

Usually they let you get 4 SWUs early (often October) if you've already qualified for 1K. You can get the early deposits and apply to the March itin at that time.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I don't know if they will let you apply a January SWU to a March itin.
No, they will not.

I will be 1K with way over 100K by then
If you hit 150K, you will get 2 SWUs right away.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:37 pm

Will cross 100K on Thanksgiving this year. When I book trip with Systemwide Upgrade Region 2 it will price it out. After I purchase and click on the upgrade option, SWU does not show as available. And I am not and was not willing to make 150K this year.
So, my understanding from your responses is, to book it with upgrade requested and wait till January to click on the upgrade option to apply the 2011 SWU? Correct me, if I am wrong.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So, my understanding from your responses is, to book it with upgrade requested and wait till January to click on the upgrade option to apply the 2011 SWU?
Yes, you should book a W fare now (which is all that selecting Systemwide Region 2 does anyway), and then apply the upgrade on 01 January (unless they offer the early deposit option, in which case you can request that and apply the upgrades at that time).
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes, you should book a W fare now (which is all that selecting Systemwide Region 2 does anyway), and then apply the upgrade on 01 January (unless they offer the early deposit option, in which case you can request that and apply the upgrades at that time).

Thanks as always. Exactly what I will do, just needed a bit of encouragement. Your responses as always appreciated and quite welcomed.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Question Can SWU be used NOW on CO metal (UA codeshare flight)?

I also have a question, but regarding SWU to be used on CO metal with UA flight #. My UA Itinerary has one segment UA3315 (operated by CO) flying from HKG to EWR, and wonder if I can use my SWU for the upgrade. Thanks for any input. Sorry if this question was previously posted, I just cannot find the answer by doing search option.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
I also have a question, but regarding SWU to be used on CO metal with UA flight #. My UA Itinerary has one segment UA3315 (operated by CO) flying from HKG to EWR, and wonder if I can use my SWU for the upgrade. ...
UA SWUs can only be used on UA or LH metal, not presently usable on CO metal. Codeshare makes no difference.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:13 pm

This one I can answer. As far as SWUs and any other upgrades are concerned, rule #1 is to stay away from code shares. Only UA purchased tickets on UA flights on UA operated equipment are eligible. Sometimes it is painful to find out the hard way. I am on UA operated flights, but on a CO purchased ticket and I am screwed, even though I am 1K on UA and PE on CO. C'est la vie.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This one I can answer. As far as SWUs and any other upgrades are concerned, rule #1 is to stay away from code shares. Only UA purchased tickets on UA flights on UA operated equipment are eligible. ....
Not quite true
Can use UA SWUs on LH metal flights -- day of travel only
Can be used on UA metal, other *A codeshare -- again only day of travel

So the advice to stay away from codeshare is good, however it does not need to be a UA-marketed or purchased flight to use SWUs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.