Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Systemwide Upgrade (SWU) questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Systemwide Upgrade (SWU) questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
May come into 2 SWU's that expire at the end of this month.
I have a confirmed reservation for 2 in NC SFO-SYD in March. F cabin is currently empty.
Can I use these SWU's to confirm the upgrade today (and thus use them before they expire) and can I use the SWU on a mileage redemption - as that is what I have?

Secondly, if cannot use on a NC ticket, if I also have a purchased economy ticket to Europe, in December, can I use the SWU which expires this month to upgrade that flight?

SFO-SYD March 25,2011 (dont know how to check SWU availability)

ORD-LHR January 8, 2011

Can anyone assist me in answering these queries.
Thanks
You can't use a SWU to ugrade NC to NF. Only paid J, C, and D fares are upgradeable.

Also, SWU's are only good for travel before their expiration date. You can't use a SWU that expires on 10/31 for travel in December even if you request the upgrade before 10/31.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
However, as I was searching for a reference online, I see that the updated T&C do not specify the 12 hour limit any more. I'm not sure if that's an oversight or not.
Update: I spoke with the 1K desk, and the 12 hours rule is still in effect. The omission on the web site is an oversight and not a policy change.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Computer Algorithm on Through Flights

I had to book a through 1-stop flight with 1 segment in the PNR becase the inventory was not available to book them in 2 segments. Now I am close to departure (less than 3 weeks out)...

This is SFO-NRT-TPE. Given the time difference and availability, I can see if the computer clears the WL on both legs separately, it is possible that I will never get the upgrade as the possibility of both legs having a seat open is low.

I wonder if the "upgrade machine" has any intelligence on this front? Would it say "this guy has been waiting at the top of the queue and I won't upgrade anyone on either flight until he clears"?

Or, I guess I will just have to see what happens at the gate?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
Is there a way to sponsor a SWU upgrade in the following situation?

Ticket is FRA-SFO, LH code, UA metal. I am not the passenger.

I know that normally I would need to request this upgrade at the airport at check-in, since it is on the LH code, but since I won't be at FRA, is this even possible?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Afraid not

Jeff
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:26 am

Programs: UA
Can you call within 24 hr?

Originally Posted by BOISJC744
Is there a way to sponsor a SWU upgrade in the following situation?

Ticket is FRA-SFO, LH code, UA metal. I am not the passenger.

I know that normally I would need to request this upgrade at the airport at check-in, since it is on the LH code, but since I won't be at FRA, is this even possible?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Originally Posted by username
This is SFO-NRT-TPE. Given the time difference and availability, I can see if the computer clears the WL on both legs separately, it is possible that I will never get the upgrade as the possibility of both legs having a seat open is low.

I wonder if the "upgrade machine" has any intelligence on this front? Would it say "this guy has been waiting at the top of the queue and I won't upgrade anyone on either flight until he clears"?

I'm in the same boat with a sponsored upgrade on SYD-LAX-ORD in less than two weeks. I have resigned myself to the fact that the chance of getting both legs to clear at the same time is to all intents and purposes zero.

I really don't understand this particular rule. Other than making it hard to get the upgrade what purpose does this rule serve?

Last edited by BrisbanePE; Oct 19, 2010 at 4:32 am Reason: speling
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrisbanePE
I'm in the same boat with a sponsored upgrade on SYD-LAX-ORD in less than two weeks. I have resigned myself to the fact that the chance of getting both legs to clear at the same time is to all intents and purposes zero.

I really don't understand this particular rule. Other than making it hard to get the upgrade what purpose does this rule serve?
I think it is a limitation of the system, not a rule. I think they really should invest some effort fixing these things - minor to them but major inconvenience for the frequent flyers.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
I think it is a limitation of the system, not a rule.
No it is definitely a rule, it is in the T&C for SWUs:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53477,00.html

2) Eligible flights
c) For flights that stop en route (and continue on with the same flight number), the upgrade is only allowed when an upgrade seat is available and confirmed on all portions of the flight.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
I just applied to get the SWU's early and it says it'll take 7-10 days to get into my account.
Have they come before that time or is 7-10 pretty much accurate?
I just want to apply my SWU's to my new bookings. They earlier the merrier I guess....
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
I had to book a through 1-stop flight with 1 segment in the PNR becase the inventory was not available to book them in 2 segments. Now I am close to departure (less than 3 weeks out)...

It does happen, we have the same itinerary on 12/23/10 and the SFO-NRT cleared but the NRT-TPE is still waitlisted. On the return 2 weeks later, both segments have cleared.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfonorth
It does happen, we have the same itinerary on 12/23/10 and the SFO-NRT cleared but the NRT-TPE is still waitlisted. On the return 2 weeks later, both segments have cleared.
It sounds like you have SFO-NRT and NRT-TPE as 2 separate segments in the PNR. Otherwise, I don't think things will clear separately since the WL would be on the single SFO-TPE segment.

Now I even wonder how it will work after check-in and at the gate. Would I get upgraded SFO-NRT if there are seats open at departure - even if NRT-TPE has no seats open?

Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrisbanePE
No it is definitely a rule, it is in the T&C for SWUs:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53477,00.html
I stand corrected! I suspect it is a rule because of the system limitation - too much trouble to change the system to do it right so they made a rule for it.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I just booked LAX-FCO and back (through IAD)
in late January. When I originally picked flights, the return
leg on Jan 30th was showing NC 1.

Unfortunately by the time I got my university to purchase me a ticket, they had changed it to NC 0 (though it does not appear any other seating buckets have changed, just NC0 for the whole weekend and beginning of next week).

So I have two questions -
1) what are my chances of having this change back and getting it to clear in advance?
2) If I have to wait until waitlist time near check in, in January I will unfortunately drop to 2P (the SWUs are valid until February in this case). Am I totally screwed? (ie even with an SWU do I drop to the bottom of the list? I can never remember if its M+ Status/Instrument/Fare Basis or if it's Instrument/M+ Status/Fare Basis)

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ACVBear
.... (ie even with an SWU do I drop to the bottom of the list? I can never remember if its M+ Status/Instrument/Fare Basis or if it's Instrument/M+ Status/Fare Basis)...
neither, it is
Status/Booking Class/Time of Request
upgrade instrument is a NOP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.