Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Systemwide Upgrade (SWU) questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Systemwide Upgrade (SWU) questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by cfw
I assumed international flights would have their own upgrade order too.
You assumed correctly. It is status, fare, time on the waitlist.

Dave
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, A3 GLD, AC ELT; AA EXP | SPG PLT, PC PLT, Hilton GLD, Hyatt PLT | National EXEC, Hertz 5*
SWU for itinerary involving stopover

How many SWU is required for itinerary including stopover(s)?
For example, A-B-C-D-A is priced at A-C r/t. B is a connection while D is a stopover permitted in the A-C fare rule. Am I supposed to use at least 1 SWU for A-B-C, C-D, D-E respectively?, namely 3 SWU for the whole itinerary? Would it be possible to argue for 1 SWU for C-D-E?

Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by teddybw
How many SWU is required for itinerary including stopover(s)?
One SWU can be used as long as the layover is 12 hours or less. (If it's a domestic itinerary, the limit is 4 hours.) In your example, you would need three, as a stopover, by definition, exceeds these limits.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, A3 GLD, AC ELT; AA EXP | SPG PLT, PC PLT, Hilton GLD, Hyatt PLT | National EXEC, Hertz 5*
Thank you, but are you sure the limit is 12 hours rather than 24 hours? What if B is an overnight connection between 12 and 24 hours and since B-C is international, it is still considered a connection? May I use only 1 SWU for A-B-C?

By the way, if A-B clears but B-C not clear, how late may I request to apply SWU only to the B-C leg? Does it require the original booking class, or just Y open for the A-B leg I intend to withdraw SWU from?

Thanks,
teddybw

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
One SWU can be used as long as the layover is 12 hours or less. (If it's a domestic itinerary, the limit is 4 hours.) In your example, you would need three, as a stopover, by definition, exceeds these limits.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Thank you, but are you sure the limit is 12 hours rather than 24 hours? What if B is an overnight connection between 12 and 24 hours and since B-C is international, it is still considered a connection? May I use only 1 SWU for A-B-C?

By the way, if A-B clears but B-C not clear, how late may I request to apply SWU only to the B-C leg? Does it require the original booking class, or just Y open for the A-B leg I intend to withdraw SWU from?

Thanks,
teddybw
I think we have a record for most questions asked in a post.

1. I have no idea what you are asking above for it is confusing as heck.
2. Maha quoted you correct information, if you apply it then it will answer your questions. 12 hours period, doesn't matter if it is overnight. If you apply your swu and it doesn't clear you go on a WL for clearance thus you won't have to request it again. Some segments will clear others won't.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Seat available in C, but SWU hasn't cleared

I am flying TATL with an onward domestic flight on 10/12. I'm booked in Y but applied a SWU. As I write this we are well within the 100-hour window at which the ug can be confirmed. I am still waitlisted for the TATL leg, although the domestic leg cleared weeks ago. Flightstats shows F:2 C:9 Y:2 so it is a pretty full flight. I am booked into seat 17G on a 777, which is a bulkhead aisle in E+. It's not the worst seat, but if they need it for a parent with infant I could get stuck in a middle seat in E-. Given there are more seats available in C than in Y at present, I expected my ug to clear by now. Does this seem weird to anyone else? Should I be concerned enough to call the 1K desk to make sure my ug was applied correctly?

Furthermore, I don't want to waste a SWU on a domestic flight. Can I cancel the SWU at the airport when I check in if it looks like the TATL portion won't clear?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RoaminRoman
we are well within the 100-hour window at which the ug can be confirmed.
The "100 hour window" exists for UDU and nothing else. SWUs can clear at an time.

Originally Posted by RoaminRoman
Can I cancel the SWU at the airport when I check in if it looks like the TATL portion won't clear?
If there's still a seat left in Y, yes.

Thank you, but are you sure the limit is 12 hours rather than 24 hours?
That's the way it's been for a long time. However, as I was searching for a reference online, I see that the updated T&C do not specify the 12 hour limit any more. I'm not sure if that's an oversight or not.

old T&C: http://www.united.com/page/article/1...d%20conditions
new T&C: http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53477,00.html

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 8, 2010 at 3:39 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:19 pm

Should I Separate Tickets? SWU Question.

Hi,

Heading to LHR with a friend. We are waitlisted both ways using SWU upgrades. I am trying to figure out if we should split up and use separate PNRs. I am wondering what happens if there is just one upgrade left and because we are travelling on the same PNR would they not give it to me because there are two of us travelling. I would let him have the upgrade but want to increase our odds of at least getting one.

However, if we separate I am not sure if he will be high enough on the waitlist, so there is a chance that there would be two upgrades that we could have gotten had we stayed on the same PNR.

I am a 1K.

Any thoughts? Hope I was clear enough.

Thanks for your time!

Richard
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Increased odds

Your chances of getting an upgrade would be higher, but so would your chances of being separated.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
How far out is it from flight day? What fare code are you booked in? What is the routing and how does C look?

I would tend to stick together at the very least until shortly before flight date (even then good things often happen the early morning of the flight). Your friend could have very low odds of clearing depending on the flight. By staying together your odds of clearing are only reduced if they release the upgrade seats one at a time when you are at the top of the list.

Furthermore by splitting you sacrifice your friend's position in both directions since the whole record is split. At the gate you can clear one by one even if together (and it's possible that your friend may benefit from your status at the gate) so it's not clear how much you are giving up by sticking with your friend.

Charles
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Question Can you use SWUs out of chronological order?

Originally Posted by bseller
NO, you cannot request an upgrade for a flight that is "beyond" the expiry date of the instrument you wish to use to support the upgrade. The system will not allow it. A CSR would not do it either, because there is no way to support the request in the record.
I have a somewhat different question -- apologies if it's addressed somewhere in this thread, but I couldn't find it.

I understand that you can't use a 1/11 expiring SWU to upgrade a 2/11 flight. But what happens if you have four SWUs in your account, two expiring in 1/11, the other two in 2/11, and you try to upgrade the same 2/11 flight? In theory, since the 1/11 certs can't support 2/11 travel, the latter certs would be pulled. In practice, though, I've been told that it doesn't work this way and that in the scenario I describe, there's no way to reliably pull the later-expiring SWUs before the earlier ones.

Does anyone have actual, personal experience doing this, either for their own itin or sponsoring someone else's? I'm concerned that no matter what UA tells me, they will botch this.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by as219
Does anyone have actual, personal experience doing this, either for their own itin or sponsoring someone else's? I'm concerned that no matter what UA tells me, they will botch this.
Yes and UA has always applied the correct SWU

Jeff
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by as219
I understand that you can't use a 1/11 expiring SWU to upgrade a 2/11 flight. But what happens if you have four SWUs in your account, two expiring in 1/11, the other two in 2/11, and you try to upgrade the same 2/11 flight?
Since the system KNOWS: 1) That the Jan SWUs don't exist for your February flight, and 2) That the Feb SWUs DO exist in your account, it will quite simply draw those into your "reserved" summary upon applying them.

Simple. No worries, no problems.

Dave
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:08 am
Suspended

SWU advice?

May come into 2 SWU's that expire at the end of this month.
I have a confirmed reservation for 2 in NC SFO-SYD in March. F cabin is currently empty.
Can I use these SWU's to confirm the upgrade today (and thus use them before they expire) and can I use the SWU on a mileage redemption - as that is what I have?

Secondly, if cannot use on a NC ticket, if I also have a purchased economy ticket to Europe, in December, can I use the SWU which expires this month to upgrade that flight?

SFO-SYD March 25,2011 (dont know how to check SWU availability)

ORD-LHR January 8, 2011

Can anyone assist me in answering these queries.
Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:09 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
You cannot use a SWU to upgrade an award ticket.

You cannot use a SWU to upgrade a flight that takes place after the SWU expires

To determine if a SWU will clear, call UA reservations or see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.