Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is an "average" cost to obtain 1K

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:14 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by bennijiggs
I just barely squeek by each year with 1k status. This year on Dec 24th i will hit 101,200 miles and that is my last flight in 2012. 100% business travel. 100k miles a year avg. Cost my company about $16k . Mostly all international flights. 20k miles on United and 80k on Turkish/Lufthansa.
Perfect example... You are in the right part of the bell curve within the first sigma in terms of 1K spending, however, in UA's eyes you brought in ~$3,200 to UA, which is less than most Mileage Runners.

I know some routes UA shares revenue with LH, etc. I am just saying, because one spends $15K does not mean UA sees the $15K... It is pretty dynamic and if UA adopts a revenue based model, how will they ensure those customers won't tell UA forget it and get LH/TK/NH/whatever status instead.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Ex Plt, Hilton Gold
I have been 1K since 2002, and on average my spend has been between 12-20K depending on how many international business class tickets I buy (the higher numbers are for the past few years).
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
I want to shop at walmart with the 3K people

Wow! 3K and you get 1K status. Amazing. You people are the penny pinchers of travel.
I'll hit 1K next week with a mix of Z fares and company travel. Total $ spent is $13,000.00
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
By the end of the year it looks like my total spend will be close to $24,500. That is for 135 segments, and 101,000 EQM's. 97% domestic travel. Highest fare was an M fare, most are much lower, but high cost.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bennijiggs
I just barely squeek by each year with 1k status. This year on Dec 24th i will hit 101,200 miles and that is my last flight in 2012. 100% business travel. 100k miles a year avg. Cost my company about $16k . Mostly all international flights. 20k miles on United and 80k on Turkish/Lufthansa.
You have business travel on the 24th?! Woof!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by craz
not really, a person can be buying F,C or Y on LX and crediting it to UA and buying ElCheapos for their US flights on UA. In order for UA to Properly take care of those with the Spend on UA they need to go with say 100k in EQMs and a min spend say $15-20k on UA metal where the $$$ stays with UA. Just as they are doing regarding the MM statuses its UA metal that counts. Otherwise hwo does spending on LX or SQ etc etc help UAs bottom line to teh fullest
Well, first of all, UA doesn't give PQMs on all airlines/fare classes. Secondly, the most generous PQM earning scenarios are with LH and NH; and UA has a rev-share with those. When UA gives RDMs for flights on *A, I assume they are getting paid for those from the other airline. Surely, they aren't doing this as an act of kindness and generosity. So, with *A RDMs, they presumably get paid for them, and plus, they never had to fly you anywhere. I'm confident that most of these scenarios work out to be roughly equivalent though I don't doubt that UA metal is preferable than non-UA metal.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:24 am

looks like I spent about $3900 - that includes flights I needed to take.

Works out to just under .04 per PQM and .029 per RDM.

Best MR's

I flew LGA- PDX 5 times @ 122

I flew DEN- MDT 3 times @ 125

I flew SEA - DTW @ 227

I flew LAX - SJU @ 298

I flew SJU - LAX @ 317

Last edited by uaflr; Nov 8, 2012 at 11:41 am Reason: add info
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Perfect example... You are in the right part of the bell curve within the first sigma in terms of 1K spending, however, in UA's eyes you brought in ~$3,200 to UA, which is less than most Mileage Runners.

I know some routes UA shares revenue with LH, etc. I am just saying, because one spends $15K does not mean UA sees the $15K... It is pretty dynamic and if UA adopts a revenue based model, how will they ensure those customers won't tell UA forget it and get LH/TK/NH/whatever status instead.
If a person flys enough within the US then to max out the benefits, E+ if in Y etc etc they would need to have UA status. If on the other hand a person doesnt buy ElCheapos and hardly has any Domestic travel not apart of their Intl Itin they would do best signing up with a different *As program that has amble Award travel rules that works for them, if their spend will mean anything on that other program

I imagine each program can be maxed out if you have a high spend on that particular Carrier and are flying mainly with them
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:28 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
104k/54 segments for $4,450 but $510 net out of pocket
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Well, first of all, UA doesn't give PQMs on all airlines/fare classes. Secondly, the most generous PQM earning scenarios are with LH and NH; and UA has a rev-share with those. When UA gives RDMs for flights on *A, I assume they are getting paid for those from the other airline. Surely, they aren't doing this as an act of kindness and generosity. So, with *A RDMs, they presumably get paid for them, and plus, they never had to fly you anywhere. I'm confident that most of these scenarios work out to be roughly equivalent though I don't doubt that UA metal is preferable than non-UA metal.
sorry but I cant help but feel that UA would flush more $$ to its bottom line if I fly UA EWR-CDG then LH EWR-FRA-CDG and credit my flights on LH to UA
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
I just added my travel up for this year so far -- still have 5 or 6 RTs left.
$13,315
74 EQS
52,000 EQM

All domestic. Zero connections this year. I'm definitely doing something wrong...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by craz
sorry but I cant help but feel that UA would flush more $$ to its bottom line if I fly UA EWR-CDG then LH EWR-FRA-CDG and credit my flights on LH to UA
Agreed. But, I question how much more. Also, keep in mind, when you fly LH, they get some money, and they don't have to do anything to earn it, and they've still got a seat that they can sell to someone else. Plus, they don't have to suffer through the wining of over-entitled elites asking for annoying things, like, for example, a little bit of service. My point is that I think there are arguments to be made both ways and it's a fairly complex web to sort out.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:55 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Agreed. But, I question how much more. Also, keep in mind, when you fly LH, they get some money, and they don't have to do anything to earn it, and they've still got a seat that they can sell to someone else. Plus, they don't have to suffer through the wining of over-entitled elites asking for annoying things, like, for example, a little bit of service. My point is that I think there are arguments to be made both ways and it's a fairly complex web to sort out.
Precisely, and how can they attribute what portion of the revenue to what in a revenue based scheme? The partners do not exactly receive equal share of the revenue. While UA/LH have JV, but no way in heck LH will give UA access to its system to compute $$$, since after all they are are still competitors on most routes.

All I am saying is, UA will have to tread very carefully if they elect to go to a complete revenue based scheme... I honestly think they will adopt a more hybrid model rather than just straight revenue based.

Last edited by golfingboy; Nov 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Forgive the ignorance but how in the world does someone fly 100,000 miles at 3 CPM? This implies that a 5,000 mile transcon is $150. Right?

In addition, W fares are 8-11 CPM, and what's the point of being 1K if you're not flying at 30,000 - 60,000 miles in W fares to use GPUs?

For the record, I'm shocked to hear so many people getting 1K for < $4,000. I easily spend $10-15K (minimum) and in some years, well north of $30K.

And, they've flagged me as an over-entitled elite? Their segmentation algorithms and their math are totally worthless.
I would cross 1k this December with a total of approx. $13,000 spend.. I guess this does not make me a over-entitled Elite...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Is it spend on UA sectors, or on tickets? Does an LH ticket for flights on UA metal UA flight number count towards GS spending? (My RTW tickets often end up ticketed by LH for example).

Then there is also the codeshare question - UA metal LH flight number, LH ticket, does that count?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.