Search

What is an "average" cost to obtain 1K

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
What is an "average" cost to obtain 1K

I know this is a terribly ambiguous question, and I'm not looking to collect some rolling list of anecdotal experiences but I was wondering if anyone has a researched feel for the ranges here? This is the first year that I've split loyalty between airlines (status matched over to DL). I had already put in 50K or so on UA at that point though so I wanted to inch over the 1K line. This meant I actually, for the first time, built spreadsheets to track this stuff (I know, the rest of FT is way ahead of me here). In any event, I also kept track of the cost of each ticket and where I was sending revenue. I'm basically done booking travel for 2012 and the final tally will be (baring last minute work or irrops):

UA: 100,115 miles / $12,027.71

That is purely fare revenue. Didn't include anything else. I was curious if that was considered "average" to make 1K since I'm intentionally just crossing the line this year? I guess another way to phrase it is, does paying $0.12/cpm make me an "over-entitled 1K" because I'm actually not that profitable?

I honestly have no feel for this at all, so if I'm missing something obvious feel free to point it out... nicely.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:50 pm
EEE

Programs: UA Gold
I raised this topic in a different thread a few days ago, so I'd be interested in seeing an updated set of numbers. (Not the old threads from '03-'05 or from the DEQM years.) Personally, I'm right about in the same ballpark. I've paid somewhere over $10k, but not $15k, with $12k being a decent estimate. (I haven't seen the numbers on some of my work travel.)
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
That totally depends. If you live in the right city and do MRs, as little as $3k.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MrMarket
I know this is a terribly ambiguous question, ....
There is no such thing as an "average" 1K -- while there is a statistical average, the range is wide and distribution is unlikely linear.
For some history on this, you can reference some past threads

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by burlax
That totally depends. If you live in the right city and do MRs, as little as $3k.
but the is hardly the average 1K, more like 4 or 5 sigma case.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by burlax
The last 2 yrs I earned 1K with alot less spend then $3k, next yr wont be as low I est apx $2500 already have 47k booked @ $1400 most of the 53k to go will be via Trancons and connecting = 6+ each trip, yes with eCerts 53k can be done for $1100
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, I miss GS
eh...kinda depressing. I am right at 80K with a spend of roughly $35K-40K. Lots of domestic short hop M fares with the occasional B....

Now should I do a MR on my own in December to get 1K??

gotta be close to GS, I would hope, please!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I know this is a terribly ambiguous question, and I'm not looking to collect some rolling list of anecdotal experiences but I was wondering if anyone has a researched feel for the ranges here? This is the first year that I've split loyalty between airlines (status matched over to DL). I had already put in 50K or so on UA at that point though so I wanted to inch over the 1K line. This meant I actually, for the first time, built spreadsheets to track this stuff (I know, the rest of FT is way ahead of me here). In any event, I also kept track of the cost of each ticket and where I was sending revenue. I'm basically done booking travel for 2012 and the final tally will be (baring last minute work or irrops):

UA: 100,115 miles / $12,027.71

That is purely fare revenue. Didn't include anything else. I was curious if that was considered "average" to make 1K since I'm intentionally just crossing the line this year? I guess another way to phrase it is, does paying $0.12/cpm make me an "over-entitled 1K" because I'm actually not that profitable?

I honestly have no feel for this at all, so if I'm missing something obvious feel free to point it out... nicely.
Is this entirely on UA or total *A spend? Obviously that matters, but for someone like myself I don't know how to split a fare when the itin involves other *A airlines and UA flights.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLyer82
Is this entirely on UA or total *A spend? Obviously that matters, but for someone like myself I don't know how to split a fare when the itin involves other *A airlines and UA flights.
why should it matter which Carrier was flown? Now if GS ws the goal then yes it would matter as I believe only UA metal counts in that Game
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I spent $3,000 to $3,500 to become 1K. Nine of the LGA-ORD/IAH-PDX flights helped (2.7 cpm), and the rest were 4-5cpm flights, some rebookings in Y, etc.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I'm at about 29k for 139k miles this year. Sadly, the ones above who spend 3k-6k are the ones ruining things for other 1k's who actually provide revenue.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by matthopp
eh...kinda depressing. I am right at 80K with a spend of roughly $35K-40K. Lots of domestic short hop M fares with the occasional B....

Now should I do a MR on my own in December to get 1K??

gotta be close to GS, I would hope, please!
unlikely GS, GS seems to just look just full fare numbers
more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-q-2012-a.html
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by craz
why should it matter which Carrier was flown? Now if GS ws the goal then yes it would matter as I believe only UA metal counts in that Game
I guess another way to phrase it is, does paying $0.12/cpm make me an "over-entitled 1K" because I'm actually not that profitable?

I was thinking if I spent 4,000 on UA and then 4,000 on *A then UA might consider that person over entitled when flying UA. These are not my numbers, but I do fly mix airline itins relatively often so just crossed my mind as a question.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nevansm
I'm at about 29k for 139k miles this year. Sadly, the ones above who spend 3k-6k are the ones ruining things for other 1k's who actually provide revenue.
Nice to see the unity we have here. Paid for all those miles yourself?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by matthopp
Yeah I was at 80 as well, and just got to 100,400 with a milage run...around $33k total.

Guess this speaks to why some of us would prefer a revenue-based program.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nevansm
I booked most of my Jan & Feb trips back in late Aug and applied my RPUs. I dont see how I ruined anything for anyone! Now I Never said Im 1 of UAs top flyers or Rev generators. But then again Im on my own Dime

I think what UA should do is watch the spend and make sure that 1K or GS is Only earned when spending your own $$$, after all why should those not spending their own $$$ Ruin it for those who are

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.