Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
purpose of mirror in bins - didn't think of that

Originally Posted by Jackstay
Makes it easier to see if anything has gone astray in a bin, I expect. I've seen this on other airlines/airliners in the past.
good point - didn't think of that. as one who stand over 6 foot, I guess I took looking inside for granted.

David
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Unfortunately what you saw on NH's 787 will not be the same from now on, all domestic birds will be converted from 252 seats to 323 seats. The bar counter at door 2 where you enter the plane will be removed, Y will be adding one more seats per row changing from 2-4-2 to 3-3-3.

International however is a different story though.
I guess that means NH is going with narrower seats in Y if they're going 3-3-3 on domestic 787's? They're retaining 2-4-2 in Y on their international configuration?

I found ANA's Y seats to be quite comfortable with pleasant cushions and acceptable seat width. United's are hip-tight and I'm not a heavy guy. I can't imagine how a heavy-set individual could comfortably shoe horn into those UA Y seats. And I wouldn't enjoy be crammed in next to that person. If UA at least had more comfortable cushions there would be less to dislike.

I'm resigned to Y class, but have had few complaints on the many aircraft I've flown on. The only Y seat I dislike more is Cathay Pacific's hard shell sliders used on their long haul 777-300ER. They're not narrow but the lack of padding and lack of recline makes them bad sleepers on long flights.

I realize airlines are in business to make money and need to pack 'em in. It's unfortunate that United's 787 Y seats are simply uncomfortable, a comment I heard more than once during my flight. Like the A380, I had hoped a 787 would be an aircraft I'd seek out. I certainly will avoid UA's 787's in the future.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Had my first Dreamliner flight yesterday, EWR-IAH in E+ (17L). Some thoughts:
  • She is noticably quieter, as has been previously mentioned.
  • I didn't notice the altitude difference, but such things generally don't bother me one way or the other, so I wasn't necessarily expecting to.
  • The dimmable windows are a really nice feature. I have heard people talk about how they don't feel like they are dark enough. I disagree. They are certainly not for the instant gratification crowd; I would guess it took 2-3 minutes my window to reach "full dark" after I turned it all the way down. When it did get there, however, very little light was entering the cabin and I was able to look directly into the sun through the filter.
  • I didn't think I would notice the narrower seats in economy, but I did. I wasn't uncomfortable, but it felt a little tighter than usual.
  • The AVOD interface is much improved; I hope they roll this out fleet-wide.
  • As I passed through the BF cabin, I noticed how far the B and K seats jutted out into the aisle on the bulkhead rows. I don't think I would particularly enjoy sitting in those, as they don't look like they would feel as private as the other BF seats in the cabin.
  • I didn't have any trouble locating the headphone jack; it is in the same place as it is in economy on the international 752's (your left armrest).
  • The wing flex is fun to watch, but a little creepy. Row 17 is just aft of the engine spar, so you have a great view down the wing.
  • The bin space is supreme. The inboard bins (over the middle section) cannot hold roll-aboards standing up on their narrow end, but the outboard ones certainly can.
  • I think this has also been mentioned, but if you have broad shoulders, A and L seats might not be for you. I'm used to getting a couple extra inches when sitting up against the curve of the fuselage, but that doesn't necessarily happen here. If you manage to find a window to line up with your row just right you will have that extra space, otherwise you won't.
All-in-all a good ride. Long-haul economy is never an enjoyable experience, but once these things start doing international runs, there are still worse experiences in the fleet (the 744s, for example).
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: A3 Gold (*A Gold), CC Gold
I'm going on the 787 this weekend and am wondering if people think it's worth it to pay the 20k miles for an upgrade, since I'm not elite.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:38 am
Suspended

Needs a real first class with Suites and pajamas, without that just another flight. TV was good and seat OK in biz
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:03 am
RNE

Originally Posted by LowlySpartan
I'm going on the 787 this weekend and am wondering if people think it's worth it to pay the 20k miles for an upgrade, since I'm not elite.
I would.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I think it's worth it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Depends on the route. IAH-ORD probably not. IAH-SFO or IAH-LAX, sure. IAH-EWR - probably.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
I see at DIA they have a huge area setup for the 787 that is arriving this morning, Screens setup all over a stage, Lighting, etc etc. Won't get to see it arrive as my flight to EWR leaves an hour before it arrives.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by vsop
I see at DIA they have a huge area setup for the 787 that is arriving this morning, Screens setup all over a stage, Lighting, etc etc. Won't get to see it arrive as my flight to EWR leaves an hour before it arrives.
That's United's third Dreamliner, N26902! She's been in LAX since delivery on 11/21. This is the fastest prep for service - just a week and she's flying! ^

I'm glad they're bringing 902 into service, since I've got an IAH-DEN flight next Friday on the 787!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: A3 Gold (*A Gold), CC Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Depends on the route. IAH-ORD probably not. IAH-SFO or IAH-LAX, sure. IAH-EWR - probably.
It's actually a MR from SFO-IAH-IAD I found for around 200. Thinking it'd be a nice bonus to use miles and go FC, though I'd be waitlisted for other flights. If I only get upgraded on one, I'd still be out the 20k miles (and $75 fee), right?

*edit* I'd be using miles from United, but getting miles on A3, so it's not like I'm losing that much really.

Last edited by LowlySpartan; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
It's actually a MR from SFO-IAH-IAD I found for around 200. Thinking it'd be a nice bonus to use miles and go FC, though I'd be waitlisted for other flights. If I only get upgraded on one, I'd still be out the 20k miles (and $75 fee), right?

*edit* I'd be using miles from United, but getting miles on A3, so it's not like I'm losing that much really.
Do it. Just be sure they waitlist you for the IAH-IAD segment since you spent the miles + copay. It should put you in a higher priority on the waitlist.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by vsop
They did a tour for the media, etc.

http://www.9news.com/video/default.a...=1997832350001

http://www.9news.com/news/article/30...tential-fliers

Funny to hear the CO pilot say that the 787 is a huge competitive advantage, and will take a long time for the competitors to equal.. Perhaps overall, but there isn't that much of a benefit to flying this bird over a 777 or 767.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:51 am

I got to ride the 787 on UA1653 this past Tuesday. I was in BF seat 2L. Overall, a nice plane but not really a "game-changer". The seats were comfortable and private enough. The video system was a bit flaky, and the FA announced not to hit the buttons too many times/too quickly of it would freeze and require a reset. Mine did (I froze it up before the announcement). It was quieter, perhaps a bit more evenly heated and cooled. I did like the bigger windows. The wing flex is indeed strange to see, and the engine intake at takeoff looks like a black hole sucking in everything around it. I only got a quick look into the E cabin. There were a LOT of seats back there. I'm not sure how great that would be. Not in any hurry to find out. At least in business, it is a better experience that some of the ancient planes in the fleet for sure, but not one that would have me change travel plans around.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Funny to hear the CO pilot say that the 787 is a huge competitive advantage, and will take a long time for the competitors to equal.. Perhaps overall, but there isn't that much of a benefit to flying this bird over a 777 or 767.
Benefit to United, not to us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.