FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:47 am
colortv

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Unfortunately what you saw on NH's 787 will not be the same from now on, all domestic birds will be converted from 252 seats to 323 seats. The bar counter at door 2 where you enter the plane will be removed, Y will be adding one more seats per row changing from 2-4-2 to 3-3-3.

International however is a different story though.
I guess that means NH is going with narrower seats in Y if they're going 3-3-3 on domestic 787's? They're retaining 2-4-2 in Y on their international configuration?

I found ANA's Y seats to be quite comfortable with pleasant cushions and acceptable seat width. United's are hip-tight and I'm not a heavy guy. I can't imagine how a heavy-set individual could comfortably shoe horn into those UA Y seats. And I wouldn't enjoy be crammed in next to that person. If UA at least had more comfortable cushions there would be less to dislike.

I'm resigned to Y class, but have had few complaints on the many aircraft I've flown on. The only Y seat I dislike more is Cathay Pacific's hard shell sliders used on their long haul 777-300ER. They're not narrow but the lack of padding and lack of recline makes them bad sleepers on long flights.

I realize airlines are in business to make money and need to pack 'em in. It's unfortunate that United's 787 Y seats are simply uncomfortable, a comment I heard more than once during my flight. Like the A380, I had hoped a 787 would be an aircraft I'd seek out. I certainly will avoid UA's 787's in the future.