Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 6:54 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Auto upgraded on a XN award ticket 3 days out. Flight went out 7/24 in F.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:11 am

Upgrade worked perfectly on YN return fare Lima to Houston 72 hours out.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
In March, I booked two award tickets (XN fare bucket) for my parents for an upcoming trip next week. I am GS, but my parents are not even Mileage Plus members. The tickets were booked with miles from my account, and my MP# shows up on the PNR. If I am not traveling with them, would they still be eligible for auto upgrade on these award tickets?
Old May 17, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by cgo111
In March, I booked two award tickets (XN fare bucket) for my parents for an upcoming trip next week. I am GS, but my parents are not even Mileage Plus members. The tickets were booked with miles from my account, and my MP# shows up on the PNR. If I am not traveling with them, would they still be eligible for auto upgrade on these award tickets?
Officially no -- they probably will get upgraded tho as benefits are "programmed" to be extended from the redeeming account.
Old May 17, 2012, 1:57 pm

Pres Plus CC holder Using Reward Tix to London

A question. I am Pres Plus CC holder. I used miles to get a free round-trip ticket to London Heathrow direct from Houston. I recently used my Flex Qual Miles to get to "Silver" status. Is there a chance I could qualify for an Upgrade? On the reservation, I do not see an option to upgrade. I did pay for an upgrade to an "Economy Plus" seat though on the flight to London. I get off the plane in London and in less than 24 hrs, will begin a 4 day charity bike ride from London (to Dover & ferry across the Channel) to Paris. Is there a way to request an upgrade or is it just not gonna happen? Would be nice though...
Old May 17, 2012, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by eireguapo
A question. I am Pres Plus CC holder. I used miles to get a free round-trip ticket to London Heathrow direct from Houston. I recently used my Flex Qual Miles to get to "Silver" status. Is there a chance I could qualify for an Upgrade? On the reservation, I do not see an option to upgrade. I did pay for an upgrade to an "Economy Plus" seat though on the flight to London. I get off the plane in London and in less than 24 hrs, will begin a 4 day charity bike ride from London (to Dover & ferry across the Channel) to Paris. Is there a way to request an upgrade or is it just not gonna happen? Would be nice though...
Welcome to FT eireguapo!

Unfortunately there aren't any complementary upgrades for that route. To upgrade on that route, you must either pay, use miles or upgrade instruments (called GPUs).

Even if you were a 1K elite, you wouldn't qualify an upgrade unless if you did one of the three above. Only domestic (and certain international) routes qualify for complementary upgrades.

There is a slight chance for an Op-up (operational upgrade due to space) but that is VERY rare in few in between. Good luck and have a great flight!
Old May 18, 2012, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Checked in online but didn't get put on the upgrade list. Flight is showing 1st class as wide open. I called United twice, was put on hold for 20 min each time, and they said the only way to be put on the upgrade wait list is to request it at the airport - nothing they can do

XN fare class. Any suggestions? Do I ask them to switch it to X fare class?
Thanks.
Old May 18, 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jack5432
Checked in online but didn't get put on the upgrade list. Flight is showing 1st class as wide open. I called United twice, was put on hold for 20 min each time, and they said the only way to be put on the upgrade wait list is to request it at the airport - nothing they can do

XN fare class. Any suggestions? Do I ask them to switch it to X fare class?
Thanks.
which credit card do you have and where were the miles redeemed from? Also what flight is this?
Slightly late to change fare classes. A only changed them because the EUA system seemed to certain fares. Art this point you are at the mercy of the battlefield list (i.e only airport people can put you on the list and clear you).
Old May 18, 2012, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by edcho
which credit card do you have and where were the miles redeemed from? Also what flight is this?
Slightly late to change fare classes. A only changed them because the EUA system seemed to certain fares. Art this point you are at the mercy of the battlefield list (i.e only airport people can put you on the list and clear you).
Card is my MP Explorer MC (used for this ticket's taxes and is the primary card in my MP account) and miles were from my own account. It's a domestic flight, seats are pretty wide open right now. Any suggestions for making sure it's fixed for the return?
Old May 18, 2012, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by jack5432
Card is my MP Explorer MC (used for this ticket's taxes and is the primary card in my MP account) and miles were from my own account. It's a domestic flight, seats are pretty wide open right now. Any suggestions for making sure it's fixed for the return?
How many R fare class seats are open on that flight?

Although it is rare, there are instances where first is actually booked full but the seat map shows to be open.

Also, there are many issues with this benefit (appears that sometimes someone will be in EUA but not be transferred to the battlefield/airport list when the person doesn't clear EUA, doesn't get into the upgrade system at all, upgrades don't run because of other SHARES issues, etc).

You can fight it at the airport -- be sure to bring a copy of the website, your credit card, and your elite card. However, many here reported failure and defeat by GAs that claim it is impossible to upgrade an award tix.

As for your return home, you can ask if you are on the upgrade list by calling. If not, then ask for it to be rectified. It appears that most/all fare award classes are now being processed for CC elites when it works so switching to X shouldn't matter.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
Originally Posted by edcho
Even if you were a 1K elite, you wouldn't qualify an upgrade unless if you did one of the three above. Only domestic (and certain international) routes qualify for complementary upgrades.
Where is a list of these certain international routes?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by vandesa
Where is a list of these certain international routes?
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...t.aspx#regions

"Complimentary Premier Upgrades"
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
A few days ago, five reps at Newark looked at me like I had three heads when I asked to be manually added to the list. They kept saying "No upgrades on rewards!" and would not help me. I went over to the Global Services area, and the rep knew about the rule but refused to help me since I was not a Global Services Member. I was in XN. They really need to do a better job spreading the word about this. I gave them the codes posted in this thread, they saw I was eligible for upgrades, and they still couldn't do anything. 3 non-revs were upgraded and I was stuck in Y.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
Originally Posted by goldelite8
A few days ago, five reps at Newark looked at me like I had three heads when I asked to be manually added to the list. They kept saying "No upgrades on rewards!" and would not help me. I went over to the Global Services area, and the rep knew about the rule but refused to help me since I was not a Global Services Member. I was in XN. They really need to do a better job spreading the word about this. I gave them the codes posted in this thread, they saw I was eligible for upgrades, and they still couldn't do anything. 3 non-revs were upgraded and I was stuck in Y.
You can send a email to the UA Insider and give all the info - flight number, res number, mp number and they can research whether or not you would have been upgraded either by eau or at ato.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:03 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by hooterbif
OK, well, that was fast. I can tell you now that my XN cleared today at exactly the 48 hour window. So, this business about only being able to upgrade at the airport on the same day by showing the GA your credit card is bogus.
I have this same problem for a flight today...phone agent couldn't help me...so lame...they really either need to fix this or pull these so called "benefits" until they can get it to work correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.