Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
It isn't the same fare. The origin and destination cities are part of the fare; even if two fares have the same name, if they serve different city pairs, they're different fares.

I share your doubts. I would not rely on any of the values, although I suspect that the non-zero values are probably correct.

What's happening is that the Expert Mode code (and, in most cases, the pricing software) is searching for each fare component separately. This bypasses the married segment inventory that UA puts in place for all sets of flights that it intends to sell as connections. (I don't think it's intentional -- I just don't think UA has bothered to go in and clean it up). So, that explains the case where the values appear to be correct -- but it doesn't explain the case with all of the zeroes.
Thanks for that explanation.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Came here to ask about the all-zeroes-on-connecting-flights issue and see it's been this way since at least September, from post 107+. I guess fixing it isn't exactly a priority...
Old May 7, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by Zorak
Came here to ask about the all-zeroes-on-connecting-flights issue and see it's been this way since at least September, from post 107+. I guess fixing it isn't exactly a priority...
Agreed. I can't believe this has been broken for a year now (I first experienced it around April last year). Sigh. Oddly though, it seems to be less pervasive now. That doesn't make much sense, but then again I haven't been able to figure out the fare or routing circumstances that cause / don't cause it to occur. Maybe some of my searches have avoided the triggers more often lately.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is expert mode gone in the iOS app? Or did the recent update remove them? I don't see the buckets on my iPhone (most recent app version, 4.1.27). I still see them on my Android phone (not updated, 4.1.25).
Old Sep 9, 2021, 11:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Still showing for me on iOS on most recent version. Maybe sign out and back in? Sure you’re not on award search?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nevansm
Still showing for me on iOS on most recent version. Maybe sign out and back in? Sure you’re not on award search?
Thanks, good suggestion: sign out / in worked.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I cant find it in my app or online. Is it only for certain members?

I see 'my united' not my account.

Dont see 'manage my account'

From there I cant see 'view all flight search ...'

Any help appreciated.

I can see under advanced search and put in trying to use plus point.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by chanp
I cant find it in my app or online. Is it only for certain members?

I see 'my united' not my account.

Dont see 'manage my account'

From there I cant see 'view all flight search ...'

Any help appreciated.

I can see under advanced search and put in trying to use plus point.
Assume that you sign up for expert mode (see signup instruction on wiki of this thread if you have not), you should see it when you click “details/seat map” at new search of your existing/new flights.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Assume that you sign up for expert mode (see signup instruction on wiki of this thread if you have not), you should see it when you click “details/seat map” at new search of your existing/new flights.
I thought you enable with on the thread below?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19375759-post327.html

I just dont see those options in my account online or app.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
I thought you enable with on the thread below?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19375759-post327.html

I just dont see those options in my account online or app.
Okay, I think with the updated website it changed. Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Micp3208
Okay, I think with the updated website it changed. Try this:
Thanks, worked on the web version. I'll try to find the same on my app.

Maybe need to update the instructions to reflect your suggestion?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, worked on the web version. I'll try to find the same on my app.

Maybe need to update the instructions to reflect your suggestion?
Wiki has been updated. (Thanks WineCountryUA 🙂.)

You don't need to enable anything in the app. Once you've enabled in your profile through the web, it should show up in the app flight details as Kmxu described. You might need to log out and log in again for the app to start showing, or maybe just wait half an hour.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Wiki has been updated. (Thanks WineCountryUA 🙂.)

You don't need to enable anything in the app. Once you've enabled in your profile through the web, it should show up in the app flight details as Kmxu described. You might need to log out and log in again for the app to start showing, or maybe just wait half an hour.
Great, I'll try it.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure if this is related, I have always had Expert Mode enabled but recently I've been getting the new page format for flight searches; the one with significantly more white space on the screen and the inability to click on a column header to sort by fare class (it's now buried in the Sort and Filter button). Any way to get the old search screen back? (I've tried a few different browsers with same result. Then switched to another laptop and got the preferred original screen.)

Last edited by edsh; Feb 25, 2022 at 3:25 pm
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by edsh
Not sure if this is related, I have always had Expert Mode enabled but recently I've been getting the new page format for flight searches; the one with significantly more white space on the screen and the inability to click on a column header to sort by fare class (it's now buried in the Sort and Filter button). Any way to get the old search screen back? (I've tried a few different browsers with same result. Then switched to another laptop and got the preferred original screen.)
I've found award searches bring up the older format. Once you bring up results there, you can use the fields at the top of the page to do another search (and change the search option from Award to Price), which will also bring up the results in the same format.
SPN Lifer and higher_flyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.