Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can't use GPU for domestic travel if < W class?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

Hello,

I've burned through my RPUs and have a few GPUs to use by year-end. I attempted to use a GPU for a domestic transcon itinerary and was told (and confirmed by a supervisor) that only RPUs can be used below W fare class...and therefore I could not use my GPUs. Lunacy!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mwix
Hello,

I've burned through my RPUs and have a few GPUs to use by year-end. I attempted to use a GPU for a domestic transcon itinerary and was told (and confirmed by a supervisor) that only RPUs can be used below W fare class...and therefore I could not use my GPUs. Lunacy!
Incorrect - call back. A GPU can be used domestically in any fare class. See chart at:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Just do it online unless some bug is preventing that. The agent was wrong.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: United Gold
I tried to use a GPU to upgrade IAD-HNL on a less-than-W class ticket. My experience with the online system was that although it looks like you can use a GPU to upgrade IAD-HNL it doesn't actually upgrade you. In the end I had to PM UA Insider, who helped me (thanks again Shannon! ). Next year I plan on saving my RPUs for the EWR/IAD/IAH-HNL non-stops.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by OMAguy
Incorrect - call back. A GPU can be used domestically in any fare class. See chart at:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx
This should be doable online for any class domestic flight, no need to call. I upgraded someone online with my GPUs on G and S fares, checked the seat map right away after applying them, and chose seats for them in F cabin.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
Can a GPU be used on any fare domestically?

Heavens, oh, heavens! In the past GPU's were good on any domestic fare class. I have some unused GPU's that I would like to apply to my remaining domestic trips but UA is insistent that my fare class cannot be in Z, P, S, T, K, L, G and N!! I call and one agent says they can be used while another says no and backs it up with a supervisor. Another call and agent says yes while another says no. So far, my tally is YEA 6, NAY 5

I am confused to what the real policy is!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
They should be good on any fare for a domestic flight. See:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...t.aspx#regions

"For regions with a *, Global Premier Upgrades are not available on flights booked in fare classes Z, P, S, T, K, L, G or N."
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Can you make the requests online? Its much easier than calling
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
There's lots of posts I've read saying you gotta call to get it to go through, but it will....
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
If you only have GPU's in your account, the website will NOT allow you the option to use them if you are on a Z, P, S, T, K, L, G or N fare domestically. Even if you call you can run into a stern "this is the rule" agent who will note it on your record.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by lax2jfk2lax
If you only have GPU's in your account, the website will NOT allow you the option to use them if you are on a Z, P, S, T, K, L, G or N fare domestically. Even if you call you can run into a stern "this is the rule" agent who will note it on your record.
I had a 1K sponsor my MIA-EWR-HNL r/t w/ 4 GPUs on the phone, and all 4 show either confirmed or waitlisted segments on my reservation page. I'm on a G fare.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I'll second the confusion here. I had to call to get a missed GPU back (not sure why this doesn't happen automatically), then tried to apply it via the phone to a future domestic trip and was told the same thing, must be W+. It worked online though and I was upgraded instantly. Sounds like some retraining is needed.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I had 2 seperate pmCO agents tell me I could not upgrade HNL-IAH w my GPU's unless in W or higher. I know they are wrong, you know they are wrong but that does not help since they just would not do it. Finally got a pmUA agent who upgraded it w no questions asked. It's been 7 months since 3/3 & if these pmCO agents can't learn the rules, they should be sent packing. I could not upgrade it myself online since SHARES tells me I need 2 upgrades if I want to also upgrade my connection from IAH-LGA which was also wrong

No excuse for having to deal w morons to stupid or lazy to learn the rules
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I had 2 seperate pmCO agents tell me I could not upgrade HNL-IAH w my GPU's unless in W or higher. I know they are wrong, you know they are wrong but that does not help since they just would not do it. Finally got a pmUA agent who upgraded it w no questions asked. It's been 7 months since 3/3 & if these pmCO agents can't learn the rules, they should be sent packing. I could not upgrade it myself online since SHARES tells me I need 2 upgrades if I want to also upgrade my connection from IAH-LGA which was also wrong

No excuse for having to deal w morons to stupid or lazy to learn the rules
...why not just use united.com? It actually works quite well for this situation that no phone call is necessary.

I'm glad I can call and talk to a human when needed, but given the roulette I play for simple issues that should have clear, consistent answers, it's not worth the hassle.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
...why not just use united.com? It actually works quite well for this situation that no phone call is necessary.....
Would be if it always was available as an option. But unfortunately some have reported it is not always available.
Additionally if you have AAA-BBB-CCC and only want to waitlist for BBB-CCC (and not waste RPU/GPU on a short segment if the longer does not clear) that can only be done with an agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.