Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryman554
How hard is it really to require a sweep when:
1. Somebody changes the PN/PZ value, PN/PZ > 0, and waitlist > 0?
Probably impossible -- this is the definition of "dynamic anything" that you later said wasn't required. Basically, there's no way to detect that inventory has changed for PN/PZ without going through every single flight.

2. Somebody requests an upgrade, but just before adding them to the waitlist? Or going through the waitlist and *then* processing it. Basically make every upgrade go onto the waitlist before they clear.
This is probably possible, but there are some side effects that would be pretty nasty: e.g., if you're in IRROPS and the agent is trying to preserve your cleared upgrade, that may not be possible if there's a waitlist. But it's at least something they could consider. I just don't think this issue is important enough to anyone at UA for them to invest in it.

In fact, with the new handy-dandy " you can see the waitlist for future flights" tool, the folks who try to skip the PZ queue while knowing full well there is an existing waitlist can't be too irritated if they see themselves appear on the waitlist where they should be.
Most people outside of FlyerTalk are going to have no idea that this can be accessed well in advance of their flight.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
PZ9 shows on the SFO-TPE portion but when I coupled with LAX-SFO-TPE to price out, both are on waitlist wit PZ0 on both.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFWFairy
PZ9 shows on the SFO-TPE portion but when I coupled with LAX-SFO-TPE to price out, both are on waitlist wit PZ0 on both.
That’s common. SFO-TPE should still clear immediately.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
If this is after booking and after applying PlusPoints then the process is broken and you need to call in. If you're only referring to a revenue fare search while also searching for upgrade availability then the website is not going to show you the upgrade is available on SFO-TPE because of married segment logic (or whatever you want to call it). However, if you book the itinerary and apply PlusPoints SFO-TPE will (should) clear immediately and if it doesn't you need to call United and get them to clear it right away. Again, assuming you're correct that SFO-TPE is PZ9.

-RM
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I was on ORD-SFO-LAS a few days ago using an instrument. I had not been upgraded on the SFO-LAS flight was it was sold out. On my way to SFO, I see that two people must have cancelled/taken another flight and it became J2 and PN2. I still had not been upgraded. When I landed in SFO 2.5 hours later, same thing. I went to the UC and asked if they could confirm the upgrade. Two agents refused, stating that only the gate could do it and that they were saving these seats for purchase. I countered that if they were doing that, they probably would not have PN2 there. They called a GS agent at SFO and she reluctantly pushed it though (and btw, I was first on the list).
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
"Incompetent agent" describes that entire experience. There's no requirement the instrument be applied only to the segment that has PZ. You apply it to the itinerary, and it clears the segments that have upgrade space, and waitlists on the ones that do not.

My observations have consistently been to the contrary.

IME long-haul flights frequently close with PZ never opening. Indeed, since UA stopped leveling buckets predictably inside T-3, they'll often close without P or Z opening, preventing SDC on discount fares.
When PZ opens within T-3h to T-30 min can you actually take advantage of it? Here is PZ space T-45 min yesterday with at least 18 on the waitlist.

Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
When PZ opens within T-3h to T-30 min can you actually take advantage of it?
Probably not. You'd have to find an agent willing to clear you and that would most likely be very difficult.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Probably not. You'd have to find an agent willing to clear you and that would most likely be very difficult.
I have been able to SDC a waitlisted instrument into the PZ space (clearing it), but agree that jumping the queue is much harder within T-24.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
When PZ opens within T-3h to T-30 min can you actually take advantage of it? Here is PZ space T-45 min yesterday with at least 18 on the waitlist.
It _can_ work but it's not guaranteed. When PZ space is open, technically "anyone" can upgrade into it with a new upgrade request. Anyone who is waitlisted will remain waitlisted until the gate agent clears them. The issue with trying to upgrade at 45 minutes out from departure is that you're already checked-in which is likely going to cause issues for the agent to process the upgrade. But it is possible. The pushback you may get is that there's a long waitlist and a "good" agent will deny the request for the upgrade.

If this were before T-1h and closer to the T-3h then it's very easy to apply an upgrade and get confirmed immediately using the website or app.

PS - your post didn't specify but I'm assuming this is for someone who isn't already waitlisted. If they were, they can un-apply the waitlisted upgrade and then re-apply for it and get confirmed immediately. Queue jumping has been around for years and United doesn't want to fix it. So this loophole remains.

-RM
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

PS - your post didn't specify but I'm assuming this is for someone who isn't already waitlisted.
Upgrade was already applied.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
So this loophole remains.

-RM
Good to know it works up to T-1h, I guess I might feel more reticent about snagging upgrades in this manner when the list is clearly published and folks are likely checking their apps and I’m lower down on the list, but maybe not...

Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Gold
Can confirm this happened even with MUA. Applied an MUA for 30k+$450 (lol never flew business before) PP+Polaris on 12/6 for CMH-DEN-SFO-TPE on 12/13 and was waitlisted as no PZ is available. On the day of travel, I was #13 for PP and #18 for Polaris (I’m a silver) and cpu didn’t clear on domestic legs. However, while onboard DEN-SFO, I discovered that the “Upgrade Cabin” button was available and I applied 30k+$450 again and was double charged $450 but miles was not deducted again. Spoke to reps at SFO and I was confirmed on PP but also waitlisted #8 for PP AND double-waitlisted #13,14 for Polaris. Somehow I jumped the queue (cleared to #9) and got confirmed in Polaris before boarding (maybe they clear passengers in PP first regardless of paid/upgrade status?).
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by leftysauce
Somehow I jumped the queue (cleared to #9 ) and got confirmed in Polaris before boarding (maybe they clear passengers in PP first regardless of paid/upgrade status?).
I thought that it would help me upgrading (from U-class - datapoint) into PP first and then into Polaris (only option for me), but I'm not sure it helped on 1 occasion.

Ended up either changing the date or canceling the ticket and flying another day...

Would be interested in hearing others experiences, though!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by leftysauce
maybe they clear passengers in PP first regardless of paid/upgrade status?
From experience they don't clear those already upgraded into PP first to Polaris, perhaps they clear paid PP first but definitely not those who upgraded to PP.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
calling to request upgrades while on waitlist?

I am sure this is covered at length somewhere......
but, especially in this new PP-era........

some of you have commented about how after purchasing a ticket, you get waitlisted for an upgrade - but in expert mode, can you tell what fare class indicates that there is an upgrade available - and if you can call in to request it?

-m
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mfirst
some of you have commented about how after purchasing a ticket, you get waitlisted for an upgrade - but in expert mode, can you tell what fare class indicates that there is an upgrade available - and if you can call in to request it? ...
Same as before, PZ for non-GS supported requests, PN for GS supported requests

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.