Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Right are we talking about CPU or Plus Points? I assumed PP, because there is absolutely no way an agent will force a CPU, it's a waste of everyone's time to make that call. And in recent years, it's become close to impossible for non-GS to get an agent to clear a waitlisted instrument. They're specifically instructed not to do that.
I assumed same for same reason.

The potential hitch for cancel/reapply is if it is multi-segment with one already cleared. Then HUCA (and HUCA and HUCA) is the only option. Even three years ago agents were already getting reluctant, or maybe ignorant of how, to push, though, so it can be an uphill battle.

edit: re-read your message and noticed the last sentence — agents have been instructed explicitly not to push waitlisted instruments? I was not aware of that.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:54 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by fumje
I assumed same for same reason.

The potential hitch for cancel/reapply is if it is multi-segment with one already cleared. Then HUCA (and HUCA and HUCA) is the only option. Even three years ago agents were already getting reluctant, or maybe ignorant of how, to push, though, so it can be an uphill battle.

edit: re-read your message and noticed the last sentence — agents have been instructed explicitly not to push waitlisted instruments? I was not aware of that.
The agents to whom I have spoken are willing to push if using PP or miles. That's the only way they will do it.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The agents to whom I have spoken are willing to push if using PP or miles. That's the only way they will do it.
I've also had supported upgrades pushed, but at times I get the "have to let the computer do it" line instead.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Op here...using PP that was waitlisted and already had a segment clear so cancelling and reapplying is not an option.

One oddity is that under my account where you see plus points it says my applied reservation is out of sync...this error is not found on the reservation screen though.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
agents have been instructed explicitly not to push waitlisted instruments? I was not aware of that.
Yes. They are definitely not supposed to do it. UA even imposed a requirement of supervisor approval to cancel a waitlisted instrument in its efforts to block queue jumping. That did not to my knowledge survive the change to PlusPoints, however.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. They are definitely not supposed to do it. UA even imposed a requirement of supervisor approval to cancel a waitlisted instrument in its efforts to block queue jumping. That did not to my knowledge survive the change to PlusPoints, however.
I don't think I've ever called when not 1. on the list, but that instruction could explain why it's so challenging even when appropriate.

Originally Posted by Halo117
Op here...using PP that was waitlisted and already had a segment clear so cancelling and reapplying is not an option.

One oddity is that under my account where you see plus points it says my applied reservation is out of sync...this error is not found on the reservation screen though.
I think that is just a display issue, but maybe it's related to being stuck.

In light of the above, good luck if calling again. Let us know how you fare.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:05 am

Well it appears website inventory is not syncing with internal inventory...some background I have 5 person itinerary waitlisted with 1of 2 segments already cleared.

This morning web site shows PZ6 as I need 5. We are 1-5 on waitlist. Called 1k desk 2nd time got transferred to web support...web support saw PZ6 but internal inventory only shows PZ1. Now two thoughts are in my head 1.I can't trust website inventory and/or 2. I needed 5 seats whereas PZ6 minus 5 is PZ1 so is this a stuck upgrade or just coincidence? Agents say reservation is in sync.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well it appears website inventory is not syncing with internal inventory...some background I have 5 person itinerary waitlisted with 1of 2 segments already cleared.

This morning web site shows PZ6 as I need 5. We are 1-5 on waitlist. Called 1k desk 2nd time got transferred to web support...web support saw PZ6 but internal inventory only shows PZ1. Now two thoughts are in my head 1.I can't trust website inventory and/or 2. I needed 5 seats whereas PZ6 minus 5 is PZ1 so is this a stuck upgrade or just coincidence? Agents say reservation is in sync.
What do you see for PZ when you search the full itinerary, i.e., both segments?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is curious. I have never heard of "internal inventory" before.

To be certain, I assume you're seeing PZ6 when you search for the segment individually? E.g., you're waitlisted for LAX-SFO / confirmed for SFO-LHR, and you're searching LAX-SFO only when seeing PZ6? I have noticed sometimes when searching for the whole way, LAX-SFO-LHR in that example, it will show a different PZ number (usually higher?), which I never know how to interpret.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:51 am

What do you see for PZ when you search the full itinerary, i.e., both segments?
when searching both segments together...1st flight PZ0 ( we cleared this flight already) 2nd segment PZ6.

Edit: As a rule of thumb I search PZ by segment so the flight I want shows PZ6 when searching individually and interestingly combined with thenfirst segment.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when searching both segments together...1st flight PZ0 ( we cleared this flight already) 2nd segment PZ6.

Edit: As a rule of thumb I search PZ by segment so the flight I want shows PZ6 when searching individually and interestingly combined with thenfirst segment.
HUCA. The notion of "internal inventory," separate from what's listed in expert mode, is ridiculous. (What would the point be of publishing PZ in this case?)

I suspect that the "internal inventory" of PZ=1 is no coincidence, and that your reservation is hung up in processing somewhere.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thought it might be some variant of a married segment issue, but apparently not.

Originally Posted by jsloan
I suspect that the "internal inventory" of PZ=1 is no coincidence, and that your reservation is hung up in processing somewhere.
If that's the case (and it's a good explanation), at least the PZ is not up for grabs and the problem may clear on its own.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:18 am

Update from OP: Upgrades cleared just now and inventory shows PZ1. What is interesting is that my error message on my pluspoints page also is gone. None of these issues could be seen by the agents on the call as they use an internal interface and not what the customer sees. This inventory discrepancy took about 30 hours to "fix itself". So happy about the outcome but unsure if some intervention took place after my call to web support.

Unsure what lesson can be learned other than web inventory can and does differ from "internal" inventory due to some gremlins in the waitlist system but unsure how to set fire to these guys.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Been a while since I've seen this, but just found PZ3 a couple of weeks out on EWR-SFO which was waitlisted with Plus Points. Called in, and agent said they can't help with upgrades as there's a system for it, but once I explained that I didn't really want someone to buy a ticket now and jump me in the queue (at least as of 3 days ago before they fixed the loophole we were 1 & 2 on the upgrade list) she was happy to help. Took nearly 15 minutes but got it sorted. Continues to be bizarre that this is still a thing.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Originally Posted by cricketer
Been a while since I've seen this, but just found PZ3 a couple of weeks out on EWR-SFO which was waitlisted with Plus Points. Called in, and agent said they can't help with upgrades as there's a system for it, but once I explained that I didn't really want someone to buy a ticket now and jump me in the queue (at least as of 3 days ago before they fixed the loophole we were 1 & 2 on the upgrade list) she was happy to help. Took nearly 15 minutes but got it sorted. Continues to be bizarre that this is still a thing.
Where there is a will, there is always a way. Sadly, UA still has not found the will to fix this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.