Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:37 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
EZE-IAH 01 Sep, PZ7 but not automatically upgraded on a waitlisted GPU. Agent was happy to push it through for me when I called in.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:55 am

If there is PZ1 at T-24 can I call to have a MUA pushed through?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
If there is PZ1 at T-24 can I call to have a MUA pushed through?
Yes - success depends on agent willing to do so...
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: United Platinum
Just went through this exercise this AM for LGA-DEN. Woke up and saw PZ1, so I called in.

First call/agent: sorry, we can’t force upgrades and need to let the system handle it

Second call/agent: if you are first on the list I can force it through; no go, I was 4th

Third agent/call: no problem at all, not sure why it didn’t upgrade you...I am now upgraded

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
She is correct that their might be other people in front of you with upgrades applied, however it has been conventional wisdom on FT that calling in to have the upgrade forced thru when you see PZ space will get you the upgrade and possibly queue jump others.

If you do not want to HUCA, I would just call in & have the agent remove your GPU & then hang up and reapply it online. You cannot do this within 24 hours of the flight, but since today is Friday you should be able to if PZ space is available. This has been my argument when I get any pushback from a phone agent, as someone buying a new ticket can basically queue jump everyone if PZ is available at the time they buy their ticket.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes - success depends on agent willing to do so...
Ended up working for me. First call said they couldn’t do it and to let the system handle it. Second call was no problem at all and pushed it through right away.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Non status family member on a flight in a week out of SFO was waitlisted using miles & copay, I noticed this morning there was PZ space with 12/48 seats open which hasn't changed in a few days. No pushback, agent cleared the upgrade right away.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:52 am

I booked a flight several weeks ago in R class, and submitted a miles and cash upgrade request on both legs. Both outbound and inbound were PZ0 at the time. The return flight is now showing PZ9 and has been showing this for the past 2 days. I understand that I'm #1 on the waitlist. I thought that miles and cash upgrades process automatically? How long will I need to wait before my return flight is upgrade from R to PZ? I'm not an upgrade expert here, so maybe I'm missing some details.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It should happen automatically but it doesn't always work. Just call and ask them to push it through (harder if you have no status).
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If there’s PZ space within 24 hours is it possible to call in to have an instrument removed and then reapply it?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pregabalin
If there’s PZ space within 24 hours is it possible to call in to have an instrument removed and then reapply it?
Yes - and hope the one-in-a-million chance it goes away in the interim doesn’t happen. You can’t go back on waitlist w/i last 24 hours.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note you need an agent to apply; you can't do it yourself after T-24.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes - and hope the one-in-a-million chance it goes away in the interim doesn’t happen. You can’t go back on waitlist w/i last 24 hours.
Originally Posted by fumje
Note you need an agent to apply; you can't do it yourself after T-24.
Is there a time limit to applying it after T-24 by calling an agent or can you apply up until the flight leaves. I've been told before that the flight is "under gate control".
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pregabalin
Is there a time limit to applying it after T-24 by calling an agent or can you apply up until the flight leaves. I've been told before that the flight is "under gate control".
It goes under gate control when the gate agent takes control. (Perhaps it sounds silly to say it that way.) The gate agent might take control between 1h and 30m before the flight. You certainly cannot get a phone agent to do anything then.

Phone agents may not be willing to apply within T-24 regardless of gate control or not.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:56 pm

It goes under gate control when the gate agent takes control. (Perhaps it sounds silly to say it that way.) The gate agent might take control between 1h and 30m before the flight. You certainly cannot get a phone agent to do anything then.

Phone agents may not be willing to apply within T-24 regardless of gate control or not.
Yes, as rigid as UA is - giving your seat away the minute boarding ‘ends,’ and ‘we can’t guarantee your bag because it’s 44 minutes till departure,’ it is certainly silly that the gate takes control ‘when the gate takes control.’ But that’s how power games work when there’s no effective competition (3+ providers in a given market) and the government regulators take a passive role.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA MM

I've been told two or three times that inside 24 hours, it has to be done at the airport though not necessarily by the GA. The agents in the UC seem to have magic powers some times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.