Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by DoneNunyez
What's the thought process here? Are you suggesting that if someone were planning to try to upgrade using a combo of miles + copay, they may be better off not jumping onto the waitlist with miles + copay and, instead, just monitor to see if PZ comes available, at which time they could go to the United website/app, submit miles + copay, and have the upgrade instantly (w/o ever being on waitlist)?
Yes, or don't even book until you see PZ space. Thats why they release PZ space like they do.
chavala likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This happened to me today for flight next week. PlusPoints upgrade still waitlisted, despite PZ1. Cheapest available economy fare had also dropped, so rather than calling UA, I simply canceled, rebooked, and reapplied the upgrade to clear into F. And got a $68 future flight credit. If UA had just cleared me as it should have, it would have kept my $68.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, kb1992 and 9 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yes, or don't even book until you see PZ space. Thats why they release PZ space like they do.
How far in advance does United typically release PZ in advance of a TATL flight? Looking to book a few next year, but, understandably, no PZ is available right now.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoneNunyez
How far in advance does United typically release PZ in advance of a TATL flight? Looking to book a few next year, but, understandably, no PZ is available right now.
Typical (in the sense of most flights) is 0 days in advance — PZ does not open. When PZ does open, it is usually >3mo in advance or approximately within last 20 days if sales are far behind expectation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by fumje
Typical (in the sense of most flights) is 0 days in advance — PZ does not open. When PZ does open, it is usually >3mo in advance or approximately within last 20 days if sales are far behind expectation.
Yeah those PZ spaces are primarily to drive new sales. I saw PZ open about 2 weeks before my flight in each direction. On the way out I wanted lie flat for the redeye so I called up to grab it, on the return I saw PZ1 sit there for about 3 days until it disappeared.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
From my experience, once it’s under T-24, you can’t remove yourself from the waitlist and re-apply PP to clear when PZ>0. If you were unlikely to clear, you’d need to remove yourself from the list before T-24 or change to a different flight.
Correction from my earlier post: you can’t remove yourself from waitlist if other segments in the same request for that direction of travel have already cleared.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:46 pm

Had the same issue for my TYO-SFO flight. PZ4 and still waitlisted. I removed the upgrade request and reapplied. It cleared immediately.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
11/24 SFO-SIN UA 1

50 people on the WL with 46/60 booked in Polaris.

Suddenly at T-12, it showed PZ9 IN9. My cousin was No. 17 on the WL (supported by 1K PP).

He called UA and asked to clear him. The agent said NO.

So he just canceled his ticket and re-booked. He already cleared EWR-SFO so he can't remove SFO-SIN upgrade request without canceling the whole ticket.

Luckily EWR-SFO also had PZ. All cleared after applying PP again.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kb1992
11/24 SFO-SIN UA 1

Suddenly at T-12, it showed PZ9 IN9. My cousin was No. 17 on the WL (supported by 1K PP).
How could inventory possibly be PZ9 if Polaris was booked 46/50?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
11/24 SFO-SIN UA 1

He called UA and asked to clear him. The agent said NO.

So he just canceled his ticket and re-booked. He already cleared EWR-SFO so he can't remove SFO-SIN upgrade request without canceling the whole ticket.

Luckily EWR-SFO also had PZ. All cleared after applying PP again.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Something's not right with the numbers. 46/60 could only be on a 773, but SFO/SIN is served by 789 with capacity 48.

Amazing to catch both EWR-SFO and SFO-SIN with PZ>0, but I guess this is holiday travel with the 'usual' atypical loads/inventory.
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Something's not right with the numbers. 46/60 could only be on a 773, but SFO/SIN is served by 789 with capacity 48.
Yes, thank you for stating the issue more accurately :-)

Per flight status, the flight was indeed 789 operated, with 48 J. Seat map shows one PE seat flew empty.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee

Amazing to catch both EWR-SFO and SFO-SIN with PZ>0, but I guess this is holiday travel with the 'usual' atypical loads/inventory.
All right. I messed up the number.

It should be 33+3 blocked and my cousin was No. 17 on the WL.

With PZ9 he canceled the ticket and got cleared immediately online.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Yep, just got back from a short trip to SIN that I booked after checking out the inventory situation the week before, and both SFO-SIN and back ended up clearing fairly easily, although I had to wait until T-24 hr each time.

Appeared even a few non-revs cleared on the return flight.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just had this happen to me for the first time. Booked a ticket last night US -> Europe -> US. Waitlisted on the return (Italy -> EWR nonstop). Flight was P9 R9 RN1. I upgraded to RN and was waitlisted for PZ.

This morning my preferred outbound flight opened so I cancelled my original ticket and used the FFC to buy the new one. I knew my preferred outbound had PZ9 so I went straight into the upgrade flow on the website and lo & behold the return flight was showing 1 seat open in PZ. I didn't even check the inventory before booking the new flight as I expected to re-clear to RN and waitlist for PZ. But, nope, PZ was open and I snagged it. 160 PPs deducted.

I have no clue when the Italy -> EWR segment opened PZ but I was clearly waitlisted for it but wasn't given the seat. Maybe it would have processed within the next 24 hours? Maybe I wasn't first on the list? I have no idea.

-RM
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by RobOnLI; Dec 30, 2023 at 8:52 am
Old Dec 30, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
This has been a huge issue - I babysit my reservations as I’ve noticed I almost never clear proactively. It’s especially terrible inside 24 hours of departure where PZ/PN are open but don’t clear immediately so it’s possible to jump the WL if you apply / re-apply.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.