Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by amejr999
Hard to say-- the maximum fine would be $27,500 per ticket. I'm not saying that would be the fine, but if DOT decided to commence enforcement proceedings, then honoring the tickets would cost them a lot less than the potential fine.
You left out a few steps. After the fine is levied, UA has X days to appeal the fine. Most of the time fines are greatly reduced to the point it's laughable. AA got fined $3M for maintenance issues. Instead of appealing they worked out a number to be paid right away ($250K). AA would probably make the same mistake again. It was sure worth it. I doubt the DOT would fine them anything but They did, I imagine it would be something funny like $500 a tkt
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I doubt the DOT would fine them anything but They did, I imagine it would be something funny like $500 a tkt
If there is a fine in this matter, I predict it will be more like $20 per ticket.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM
We know of Only 1 person that had their tkts honored who booked by phone (the friend of Colpuck). Other then that person & his 3 tkts (I think it was 3), there is no proof anyone else has had tkts honored
So

-Those that booked by web - cancelled ( with the exception of the few UA allowed who had started/about to start the trip)
-Those that booked by phone - cancelled
* exception (friend of Colpuck had DOT help get tkts issued by phone reinstated.
**Super secret Google group is about to unleash operation "hell hath no fury" on UA
A possible fifth option. Someone with an axe to grind is not telling the truth about tickets being honored. Imagine that, a lie online?! The horror!!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
I don't believe that is true as investment in IT makes operations easier and more profitable for the company.
ROTFLOL Let's not assume anyone here is so naive as to not know better.

Many such investments in IT may make operations more complex and less profitable for the company than the company reps believed when allocating additional resources for expenditure on many an IT project.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by GUWonder
ROTFLOL Let's not assume anyone here is so naive as to not know better.

Many such investments in IT may make operations more complex and less profitable for the company than the company reps believed when allocating additional resources for expenditure on many an IT project.

You are correct but an airline is a different beast which is what I meant. IT problems for an airline have extreme costs up to and including safety issues which can be catastrophic. No airline is going to risk not upgrading their systems because they "got away" with not having to honor a mistaken ticket giveaway. If you believe that then you are quite naive.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by sbrower
If there is a fine in this matter, I predict it will be more like $20 per ticket.
I was being overly generous

Originally Posted by bubbashow
A possible fifth option. Someone with an axe to grind is not telling the truth about tickets being honored. Imagine that, a lie online?! The horror!!
No! I already brought that up a zillion pages ago & had my head handed to me. I shall now school you; it is not only impolite but down right hostile to question the intentions of your fellow FTers. Please repeat that 25 times & delete your slanderous post

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:03 pm

I think we see that those of us that predicted the DOT would do nothing were correct. Sleep well knowing that common sense won this round
You will get nothing. I will smile.
Originally Posted by traveldealexpert
It looks like the Department of Transportation has not completed their investigation into the United tickets to Hong Kong. I sent an e-mail to Mr. Alex Taday of the DOT requesting an update on the situation.

Here was his reply:
We are unable at this time to estimate when our investigation will be completed.
What would really be refreshing is if all those who've done a certain amount of chest-beating on this issue (some in smugness, some not, some examples above), would be honest enough to come back and accept that the DOT has recognized that there is at least one issue in all of this worth investigating—even though we don't know what that issue is, or if there's more than one. It could be the integrity of electronic tickets, it could be how mileage tickets apply to the newly adopted regs on mistake fares, or something else entirely.

Not all of us are following this particular case to expect or demand that the only acceptable resolution is a free ticket in First to/from/through HKG. Some of us are reasonable enough to see that there are other issues at play.

traveldealexpert, thanks for your post, and for keeping us updated.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:49 pm

We know of Only 1 person that had their tkts honored who booked by phone (the friend of Colpuck). Other then that person & his 3 tkts (I think it was 3), there is no proof anyone else has had tkts honored
So

-Those that booked by web - cancelled ( with the exception of the few UA allowed who had started/about to start the trip)
-Those that booked by phone - cancelled
* exception (friend of Colpuck had DOT help get tkts issued by phone reinstated.
**Super secret Google group is about to unleash operation "hell hath no fury" on UA
I know personally 2 people who flew them (more than 2 pax). Its not myself. And that's all I'm gonna say.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
I know personally two guys that were walking north of Dublin following a rainbow they saw across the Irish countryside. It's not myself. When they arrived at the end of the rainbow, they met a lovely family of leprechauns. They walked away with a giant pot of gold. And that's all I'm gonna say.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:38 pm

I know personally two guys that were walking north of Dublin following a rainbow they saw across the Irish countryside. It's not myself. When they arrived at the end of the rainbow, they met a lovely family of leprechauns. They walked away with a giant pot of gold. And that's all I'm gonna say.
Whoa. You stand to gain nothing by knowing, but they do stand to lose.

If you don't trust me, all the details in the world won't help. One flew and returned before they started cancelling. The other... Did not take off beforehand.

And yes, he still stands to lose.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Well if they flew before the cancelling then they were in the window where UA said that they would honor the tickets as a CS gesture. But in any case, there are all sorts of reasons why one off instances may well have flown or get to fly yet. There are always situations that are more complex or where a UA supervisor simply decides honoring a ticket is the "right" thing to do in that specific case. None of the one-offs really matter in the larger context where UA has clearly decided to not honor the tickets. DoT may decide to give them a wrist slap administrative fine for the annoyance that UA caused them but beyond that I strongly suspect the case is done (other than if someone or some group actually decides to pursue a lawsuit which would strike me as pouring good money down a pit but that would obviously be up to them). This simply has never been the great consumer protection cause celeb that some folks here have wanted to make it. And as I said many pages of posts ago - you need to think about the political reality of the DoT and the consumer protection issue. DoT has no reason to try to make fools of themselves here.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
And that's all I'm gonna say.
I can only wish it were true.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Well, what would you have them say? They're acting in a quasi-judicial role, collecting facts and then making a determination of what course of action the facts and regulations recommend to take. This isn't Alice in Wonderland: "Sentence first, verdict after!"
I'm not saying they should. However, they could have phrased it a lot differently rather than being wishy washy. They could have said something like "We are currently investigating the complaints. If we find that the complaints have merit, we will take appropriate action." Now doesn't that sound a lot better? It says what they will do if it's action worthy, but doesn't say they're going to be unfair either.

As they phrased it, they might as well just flip a coin and take whatever comes up.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by craz
The decission to Honor or Not is solely on the Carrier even if DoT says it should be Honored. However if DoT says it should be honored and they arent DoT can if they so chose Fine the Carrier

So DoT says we cant force anyone to do anything but if we say they should do something and dont we can fine them. I guess DoT hopes if the fine/s are high enough a Carrier will decide its cheaper to honor the tkts then cough up the amount of the fine

keep in mind DoT has fined some Carriers alot of $$$ over flying planes that shouldnt have been used. After appeals etc the fine was reduced where end result it probably left the Carrier making $$$ for having used the planes that it shouldnt have
Werent you one of the no-sayers that said DOT was done with the case?

Obviously they are not.

And that's all I'm gonna say.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I can only wish it were true.
^
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelkid
Werent you one of the no-sayers that said DOT was done with the case?

Obviously they are not.
Yes I was, as to me at least it made no sense that UA would roll the dice and CX the reses they did had they not gotten some type of nod from DOT, that it would be OK for them to do so.

Its also hard to believe that DOT still hasnt come to some type of ruling, if they are there to protect the flying public, then they have Failed.

Somethings fishy over 6 weeks (I think) and still nothing out of DOT.I take it some folks had reses that they didnt use and UA would be opening themselves up wide lawsuit wise if DOT never said Boo to them yet.

I will still be very surprised if DOT holds UA has to honor all the tkts for 4 miles.

I only hope that anyone who posted an email they say DOT sent them didnt change teh wording in them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.