Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United: 4 toilets for 200+ economy passengers???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United: 4 toilets for 200+ economy passengers???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
OP should be glad he wasn't on one of the new configuration 777s: the ratios are 54 or 55 economy pax per bathroom. To add insult to injury, the ratio was far more favorable in the old configuration - so basically UA remodeled its planes to make your economy bladder hurt while business and first class passengers dream away in lie-flat comfort.

Which is another reason why I haven't been in the back of a UA plane on an intercontinental trip in years.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Ok, I've read the whole thread (not long) and I just find the entire discussion hilarious. I'm curious about the male to female ratio of those responding. Why? Women are used to waiting in lines for bathrooms. You guys run into a bathroom in all kinds of venues, baseball games, arenas, movie theatres, etc etc and we wait, and wait and do the potty dance. Wow, waiting for 1 or 2 people in front of you - what a schande! Two weeks ago in the Museum D'Orsay I waited 15 minutes to use one of 4 bathrooms. Hubby and son in and out in minutes.

Sorry, entire thread is just funny.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by snic
OP should be glad he wasn't on one of the new configuration 777s: the ratios are 54 or 55 economy pax per bathroom. To add insult to injury, the ratio was far more favorable in the old configuration - so basically UA remodeled its planes to make your economy bladder hurt while business and first class passengers dream away in lie-flat comfort.

Which is another reason why I haven't been in the back of a UA plane on an intercontinental trip in years.
Not that I'm looking sympathy but we all got hosed. FC went from two to one lav on the new 777 configuration. And the one lav is configured such that the captain can turn the cockpit, crew rest, and single lav into a little "fort" for themselves.

I was on one flight when the single F lav was closed off to pax for the entirety of the flight except the first and last hour of the flight. The purser was as pissed off as the pax.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by florin
Here's the problem with that: it's my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that there is a mandated number of bathrooms depending on # of pax.
I do not believe that is accurate. There is a rule regarding FAs to the number of seats but that's the only one I'm aware of.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
This entire thread pisses me off (Sorry -- couldn't resist!!! )

I actually find that on the non-PS 757s, the FAs are very lax about prohibiting folks in economy from using the F lav behind the cockpit. On the very few occasions when I have seen a FA kick someone out of F, they have done so quietly.

As an aside, on a recent ORD-SFO flight, I was in 6A and because the F lav was in use, I decided to use the one between the F and Y cabins by the boarding door. As I entered, the guy in 7D said that the lav was for economy psgrs only. No one was waiting, so I ignored him. When I came out, he said, "I wasn't kidding." I didn't respond, which I think made him even more upset.

Last edited by thumbun; Jul 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
I do not believe that is accurate. There is a rule regarding FAs to the number of seats but that's the only one I'm aware of.
Unfortunately, you are correct. Quite a few years ago when I worked for FAA Medical, our group was tasked with determining the adequate/safe number of lavs for airliners...especially those flying on long intercontinental routes. Our studies indicated that there were not enough on most airlines...our recommendation (if I remember correctly)was for the minimum of one lav for every 40 passengers. The airline industry caught wind of this study and applied tremendous pressure on the FAA and Congress to quash the study and report...which the FAA did!

When there was the CAB and the FAA, one agency was tasked with promoting aviation and the other with regulating it. Now we have one agency (FAA) responsible for both...can we say "conflict of interest"

Originally Posted by thumbun
As an aside, on a recent ORD-SFO flight, I was in 6A and because the F lav was in use, I decided to use the one between the F and Y cabins by the boarding door. As I entered, the guy in 7D said that the lav was for economy psgrs only. No one was waiting, so I ignored him. When I came out, he said, "I wasn't kidding." I didn't respond, which I think made him even more upset.
I have experienced a number of flights on sUA 757s where the purser indicates that the lav behind First is available to both cabins...I mean, really!...if I am sitting in 6B, I am less than a foot from that lav, I am going to use it in most cases!

Last edited by 1KPath; Jul 18, 2012 at 11:08 am
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by meb110
steward
Flight attendant.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
An indignant steward loudly refused passage! Asking for and being refused the use of a bathroom was a totally new and humiliating experience in my life - and it was on a plane that I paid a lot of money to ride on.
Sorry United, your new business plan has cost you a long-time, loyal customer. I will travel on one of your many competitors who pride themselves on their service to all of their valued customers.
You claim to be a long-time loyal customer, and you have never heard the announcement that asks all pax to use the bathroom in their ticketed cabin??? Welcome to the real world, bucko!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by balima
Ok, I've read the whole thread (not long) and I just find the entire discussion hilarious. I'm curious about the male to female ratio of those responding. Why? Women are used to waiting in lines for bathrooms. You guys run into a bathroom in all kinds of venues, baseball games, arenas, movie theatres, etc etc and we wait, and wait and do the potty dance. Wow, waiting for 1 or 2 people in front of you - what a schande! Two weeks ago in the Museum D'Orsay I waited 15 minutes to use one of 4 bathrooms. Hubby and son in and out in minutes.
The principle differences between a tin can flying at 40,000 feet and the Musee D'Orsay are (1) All visitors to the Musee are not given a meal that traps them into their seats, and then released from said meal all at the same time, creating a massive rush on the bathrooms; (2) There are not First, Second and Third Class Bathrooms, with strict rules (and heated arguments) regarding whether one can use a Better Class of Bathroom; and (3) The museum director will not suddenly announce that everyone in line for the bathroom has to go sit down because of an imminent earthquake.

Male or female, not having enough bathrooms on a plane is truly a pain in the ...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:26 pm
Suspended

4 toilets for 200 people in cattle?

I would be pissed.

That really stinks.

(I didn't read the whole thread. Sorry if those jokes have already been emitted.)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AllanJ
A few pax may be able to use an air sickness bag, reducing the demand for the lavatories.
That would work only one time, unless your seatmate is willing to part with theirs.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
How about zero toilets for 19 people on the Beech 1900? Oh, the humanity!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by AllanJ
A few pax may be able to use an air sickness bag, reducing the demand for the lavatories.
"A few" -- try "one half..." There's a thread somewhere about a passenger nicknamed the "whizzer" who did precisely that.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by snic
The principle differences between a tin can flying at 40,000 feet and the Musee D'Orsay are (1) All visitors to the Musee are not given a meal that traps them into their seats, and then released from said meal all at the same time, creating a massive rush on the bathrooms; (2) There are not First, Second and Third Class Bathrooms, with strict rules (and heated arguments) regarding whether one can use a Better Class of Bathroom; and (3) The museum director will not suddenly announce that everyone in line for the bathroom has to go sit down because of an imminent earthquake.

Male or female, not having enough bathrooms on a plane is truly a pain in the ...
OK, how about an arena full of people. All drinking pop and beer and snacking. Then half time occurs and hundreds of people all stream out trying to use the lavs in just 15 minutes worth of time. Or, intermission during a play where most people went out for dinner before hand. Or, how about a concert where there are only 6 bathrooms for thousands of people. Half of whom need to wait for 10 minutes before getting close to a stall. Again, how many of you complainers are male and how many are female.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Perhaps this is indelicate, but economy travel on United has become akin to youthful adventure travel. Their 767 has FOUR toilets to share among over 200 economy and economy plus passengers. On an overnight flight, in the second row of economy, I made the mistake of trying to pass the curtain to use the business class toilets, as access to mine were blocked by a cart. An indignant steward loudly refused passage! Asking for and being refused the use of a bathroom was a totally new and humiliating experience in my life - and it was on a plane that I paid a lot of money to ride on.

If United truly does not want to provide decent and civilized service to its economy passengers - who fill their planes - why not just stop accepting their business? After 20+ years of loyalty, and even with premier + status, I am so disturbed by this airline's dehumanizing treatment of economy passengers (inedible food, limited toilets, silly separate boarding carpets for different classes of passengers - all passing through the same door!!!) to continue to fly with them.

Sorry United, your new business plan has cost you a long-time, loyal customer. I will travel on one of your many competitors who pride themselves on their service to all of their valued customers.
Not too loyal if the idea of being refused passage to the business class toilets is new to you. It's only been SOP for years and gets announced on every flight multiple times. Not to be a UA defender, but sheesh.

Last edited by Boghopper; Jul 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.