Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United: 4 toilets for 200+ economy passengers???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United: 4 toilets for 200+ economy passengers???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
I forget which plane and airline I was on, but I chased a First Class passenger out of economy who wanted to use the lav (lav was in front of coach but behind the curtain)

Maybe you can get a free Depends if you pay $8 for the snack box

You also need to man up and tell the FA to get out of your way if its that urgent

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 25, 2012 at 2:07 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 1KPath
Unfortunately, you are correct. Quite a few years ago when I worked for FAA Medical, our group was tasked with determining the adequate/safe number of lavs for airliners...especially those flying on long intercontinental routes. Our studies indicated that there were not enough on most airlines...our recommendation (if I remember correctly)was for the minimum of one lav for every 40 passengers. The airline industry caught wind of this study and applied tremendous pressure on the FAA and Congress to quash the study and report...which the FAA did!

When there was the CAB and the FAA, one agency was tasked with promoting aviation and the other with regulating it. Now we have one agency (FAA) responsible for both...can we say "conflict ..
And yet millions of flights have been made with approximately zero lavatory related safety incidents. Maybe the airlines had a point?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by EWR764
Don't hitch a ride on Delta's 747, only 6 lavs for 328 pax!
6 lavs for 328 pax means 1 lav per 54 pax. That ratio is only slightly worse than the UA 764 with 1 lav per 50 pax.

Far worse is the UA 738, with 2 lavs for 144 pax, or 1 lav per 72 pax.

Of course, the 738 doesn't do TATL or TransPac, but it does plenty of 6-hour + Transcons or Hawaii flights which as no fun at all if you ever need to go...

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Jul 25, 2012 at 4:30 pm
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by meb110
Sorry United, your new business plan has cost you a long-time, loyal customer. I will travel on one of your many competitors who pride themselves on their service to all of their valued customers.
American's new advertising campaign: "American Airlines: We know how often you potty"
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UAs newest fee...

A $50 All-Throne Pass for coach passengers? Sort of like buying a United Club day pass - but in the air...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by KurtVH
And yet millions of flights have been made with approximately zero lavatory related safety incidents. Maybe the airlines had a point?
The project I worked on was over 20 years ago...and the focus was not lav safety...rather it was concerning the safety of passengers and their hydration and elimination on long flights. More specifically, a number of early studies found an increase in kidney disease and bladder cancer in frequent international flyers. It was thought at the time that the lack of hydration and elimination was a causative factor. I have not been involved in aerospace/aviation medicine for many years, but my former colleagues tell me that things have not changed much...reports that question medical safety on airlines are quashed on a regular basis. Once again, there is a problem with the FAA being the primary supporter of commercial aviation and its chief regulator...a huge conflict!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DillMan
American's new advertising campaign: "American Airlines: We know how often you potty"
Or how about:

On American Airlines you can potty like a rock star...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by balima
Ok, I've read the whole thread (not long) and I just find the entire discussion hilarious. I'm curious about the male to female ratio of those responding. Why? Women are used to waiting in lines for bathrooms. You guys run into a bathroom in all kinds of venues, baseball games, arenas, movie theatres, etc etc and we wait, and wait and do the potty dance. Wow, waiting for 1 or 2 people in front of you - what a schande! Two weeks ago in the Museum D'Orsay I waited 15 minutes to use one of 4 bathrooms. Hubby and son in and out in minutes.

Sorry, entire thread is just funny.
That's odd, I was in the Musee d'Orsay on July 5th and the bathrooms were vacant except for me and the kids. We were in the one in the back of the building that's downstairs.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 1KPath
The project I worked on was over 20 years ago...and the focus was not lav safety...rather it was concerning the safety of passengers and their hydration and elimination on long flights. More specifically, a number of early studies found an increase in kidney disease and bladder cancer in frequent international flyers. It was thought at the time that the lack of hydration and elimination was a causative factor. I have not been involved in aerospace/aviation medicine for many years, but my former colleagues tell me that things have not changed much...reports that question medical safety on airlines are quashed on a regular basis. Once again, there is a problem with the FAA being the primary supporter of commercial aviation and its chief regulator...a huge conflict!
We spent tax dollars to study the hydration and elimination habits of frequent flyers? Oi ve.

Yes, the conflict of interest is the problem.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:53 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A $50 All-Throne Pass for coach passengers? Sort of like buying a United Club day pass - but in the air...
.......and how about "extended legroom" toilets, or T+, for those of us who have strange habits?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
There was an extensive thread on this subject last year. Basically UA went from 8 restrooms to 6 restrooms and increased the number of BF seats from 35 to 39, along with adding E+.

Two of the 6 Y restrooms were then made the 2 BF restrooms. Lots of complaints at that time.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like UA's reconfigured 764 has only 3 lavatories for 203 coach, a 68:1 ratio. And 2 for the 39 BusinessFirst seats (20:1) is really awful too, especially on a redeye when everyone is changing out of PJs, brushing teeth and freshening up before landing. The pmCO 772 used to have 4 lavs for 48 seats before they put the flat beds in, or 12:1 which was pretty good.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
UA should use a thick curtain with a sign "business class only" like they do on SK or at least the sign. Usually they don't enforce "poaching" into C class opn the 767, which is problematic because they will always stop C class pax from going to F (because it's next to the cockpit), but not Y to C. I have intervened in the past and told Y passengers lined up to use the C bathroom that they can't use it. I have even seen them line up in the Y cabin to use the C bathroom......

Security and bathrooms is a lame excuse. They should be upfront and say that it is policy, basta. That a Y class passenger uses a toilet in the middle of the plane 10 steps in front is a "security" issue is complete bunk.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Hmmm.

I was on CX on a 777-300ER from HKG to LAX earlier this week. Six seats and two lavatories in F.

For some reason, I never had to wait. Go figure.

Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
There's something to be said for personal responsibility. As in, if you're a middle-aged guy with reduced capacity, book a seat not too far from the lav. Avoid middle & window seats. Seriously.

Sure, it would be great if planes had more lavs, but generally, it works out fine, as long as none are out of comission and there's not much turbulence.

Having said that, it still surprises me that lavs don't end up on an MEL; technically, a plane can fly with no operative bathrooms??? I've been on more than one flight that was held up at the gate for some time, while the pilots and ground crew work out whether a or multiple toilets can be fixed or not, and then whether it makes sense to fly transcon with only two of four working. The discretion allowed by not having them on the MEL is probably a bad thing, not good.

A possibly not good idea for those who have to hit the lav frequently- eat lots of very salty food. Causes you to retain water, rather than get rid of it. ^ May also put your blood pressure through the roof.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.