Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:23 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
What a terrible analogy. Knowingly taking money from a malfunctioning ATM is probably theft, since that money BELONGS to someone. It could another depositor's money or the bank's, but nobody (including the government, theoretically), gets free money.

Buying seats for 4 miles? That's entirely different. Airlines can print as many miles as they want, and as long as the miles are used for redeeming seats that would otherwise go empty, printing those miles don't "cost" the airline anything, and can earn extremely valuable loyalty. I don't even think airlines have to account for issued FF miles on their financial statements (but I could be wrong).

Airlines fly seats without making money all the time. Award seats, employee seats, other non-revs, goodwill, etc. This fare is a lot of things, but it ain't anywhere near the same as taking money from a malfunctioning ATM. Or driving off the lot with a Hyundai.
The 140,000 miles don't belong to anyone? They belong to UA, and UA only.

To call this a "purchase" for 4 miles is ridiculous.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
State law still applies to airline contracts in absence of preemption. Even with preemption, federal courts may look to state law if an issue isn't specifically addressed by federal statutes.
Again, not applicable to airlines. I'll let the Attorney General of California explain why:

By the way, notice it was the airlines that pushed for federal preemption of state laws here. They can't very well now seek protection of state laws from DOT regulation!

In the early 1980s a number of airline companies obtained a federal court order in Texas that prevented California and 33 other states from bringing any action against the airlines for deceptive acts, false advertising or unfair business practices.

The Attorney General's Office argued that a Texas federal court had no jurisdiction over states other than Texas. In addition, this office argued that Congress had never intended to prevent the states from utilizing their false advertising statutes against airlines. However, the Federal Appeals Court disagreed and held that airlines were exempt from state false advertising laws. We are prohibited from bringing any action against airlines for deceptive practices or false advertising.

If you feel that you have been a victim of consumer fraud or deception by the actions of a particular airline, you should contact the United States Department of Transportation:

United States Department of Transportation
Aviation Consumer Protection Division
400 7th Street, S.W.
Washington D.C. 20590
Phone: (202) 366-2220

Also, you may wish to contact your congressional representatives to notify them of your concerns and problems in regard to this particular industry. To contact your representatives, go to: Senate.gov and House.gov.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by leonidas
Apparently <10 people have booked successful US-China tickets this way, insider info.
Hmm. I booked two trips of YVR-SFO-HKG, one on F and the other one on C.
Am I one of the lucky <10 people? This makes me feel so special
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Originally Posted by sky417
Hmm. I booked two trips of YVR-SFO-HKG, one on F and the other one on C.
Am I one of the lucky <10 people? This makes me feel so special
and i booked two also! looks like we've got half of the trips right here on this page of this thread
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dennis_PEK
A little bit off the track but anyone in the same situation?

I got ticketed on QR metal to HKG next May/June, which is kinda impossible according to UA's termination of the partnership, however IT IS TICKETED in UA bucket.

So, can I get a ride from QR even if the party is finally honored? LOL

Dennis
From the United Website regarding the Qatar situation: "Award travel ticketed on or before September 14, 2012, will be honored as ticketed and valid for one year."

You ticket by 9/14/12 for travel within 1 year.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MSYnola
and i booked two also! looks like we've got half of the trips right here on this page of this thread
I booked the rest!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Maybe China in this poster's opinion means mainland China, not HKG.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Miles are currency. It doesn't matter who owns them, you can use them as a medium of exchange to buy flights.

Originally Posted by Boraxo

No miles are not currency. If they were, you would own them, not UA.
They belonged to UA BEFORE the purchase. After the purchase, the Issued ticket belongs to the purchaser.

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
The 140,000 miles don't belong to anyone? They belong to UA, and UA only.

To call this a "purchase" for 4 miles is ridiculous.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by gvol21
I'm convinced that there might be some on West Wacker Drive who see a good opportunity in this to help 'make amends' with frequent flyers, many of whom have been disgruntled since March. Less the people who bought a bazillion roundtrips, UA isn't losing a significant amount of money on these tickets, provided they're on UA metal. They're out the opportunity cost of those first class seats, of course, but what's the likelihood that they'd be filled anyway?
<snip>
Actually, this would be a pretty poor way to "make amends" with frequent fliers. I did not book these trips and have no desire to take unnecessary award trips just for the pleasure of UA GF cabin.

I don't judge those that went for it, but UA has real problems to make amends for including the inability to keep my mileage account accurate or show why my balance keeps changing, horrible irrops, customer service failures, stranding passenger for days, shifting seat assignments, increasing schedule failures....need I go on?

I know some want to keep these tickets, and fine for that, but do not extrapolate this out to think this addresses anything beyond a horrific pricing error.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by flyersky1
Miles are currency. It doesn't matter who owns them, you can use them as a medium of exchange to buy flights.
Agreed, if they are accepted as a medium of exchange, by definition they are currency. Currency does not only apply to money.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I know some want to keep these tickets, and fine for that, but do not extrapolate this out to think this addresses anything beyond a horrific pricing error.
I don't think it makes up for any of that, but next time I'm experiencing any of the aforementioned UA issues, it'd be nice to know that sometimes their screw ups (or mistakes) can result in something beneficial/fun for us consumers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:36 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:38 am
Suspended

call me an Idiot but I saw this thread and said Id rather be in E+ on an ElCheapo earning the EQMs then flying it for free in F or C.

I guess COs CS dept will now be back to 3/5 5 hrs wait time as they sort all of this out.

And yes I feel bad for those folks who would have either used the proper amount of miles for a tkt and now cant find 1 seat available or those who wanted to use a GPU or Miles & copay to UP and all ofa sudden find Nothing is available anytime

To an extent CO dserves it after what they have been doing to us But on the other hand how woud you feel if you didnt know about this and today or in the next few days you went to make a legit res only to find Everything is 0ed out?

Im happy I decided to sit this 1 out
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:38 am

my ticket still says reserved and hasn't been ticketed yet...any chance this will get ticketed?
(hoping these tickets get honored )
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Apparently <10 people have booked successful US-China tickets this way, insider info.
I know 3 others who have (aside from myself) which is about 12 tickets total so far... so I don't think you're right.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by jmk2135
From the United Website regarding the Qatar situation: "Award travel ticketed on or before September 14, 2012, will be honored as ticketed and valid for one year."

You ticket by 9/14/12 for travel within 1 year.
OMG, it is still July 2012, cant wait for 2013 now.
The guys do have a valid ground to forbid drinking at work...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: United 1K & AA Exec Plat
Patience

I have no patience, I'm loosing my patience, how much longer will I have to wait to hear the line I want to hear "Yes, we will honor"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.