April 2012 DOT Data Released

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
April 2012 DOT Data Released

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/repor...12JuneATCR.pdf

UA is again at the bottom of the consumer complaint category with double the next highest complaint rate for a major carrier (US Airways). And United is the worst or second-worse for on-time (depending on which set of numbers you look at).

No new data on oversales since that's compiled quarterly.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by channa

UA is again at the bottom of the consumer complaint category with double the next highest complaint rate for a major carrier (US Airways). And United is the worst or second-worse for on-time (depending on which set of numbers you look at).
Thanks for posting. I don't understand these number sufficiently to guess at what the Apologists will say about them, but I surely look forward to hearing them.

Just curious: Was pmUA ranked this low on a "consistent basis"???
Dave
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bseller
Thanks for posting. I don't understand these number sufficiently to guess at what the Apologists will say about them, but I surely look forward to hearing them.

Dave
Sigh. If by apologists you mean "someone who takes into consideration all factors without hyperbole" I am one.

April 2012 reflects the fallout from the 3/3 debacle, and it is not surprising UA is this low. Let's wait until June or July data, when things have gone back to normal.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Not in the metric of on-time performance; UA often led the majors in that category pre-3/3.

As to consumer complaints, I think (but don't have the #s in front of me to say for sure) that UA was often near the bottom, which given the fact they treated elites very well and everyone else fairly poorly was somewhat expected.

Of course now, they treat everyone poorly, elites and GMs alike.

Originally Posted by aacharya
April 2012 reflects the fallout from the 3/3 debacle, and it is not surprising UA is this low. Let's wait until June or July data, when things have gone back to normal.
(emphasis mine)

I'm highly skeptical that things will go back to normal (unless we're talking a "new normal") with June/July numbers. Will we see improvements over April? Undoubtedly. Will UA continue to score near the bottom? I have my suspicions, based on recent experiences in May and June... and they aren't pretty.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Let's wait until June or July data, when things have gone back to normal.
I see that you are, if nothing else, an optimist.

Dave
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see that you are, if nothing else, an optimist.

Dave
Fair enough. But I would rather see numbers from normal months, not turbulent ones. If UA is last in June/July, then that really means something.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Just FYI there is a typo on page 37, talked to a guy at the DOT today, it should read complaints filed in April / Incidents in April ... Incidents in March and then incidents in other months.

They said they are going to fix it, but for those of us that got to it early.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Fair enough. But I would rather see numbers from normal months, not turbulent ones. If UA is last in June/July, then that really means something.
Wow, putting yourself out there, eh?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

Dave

Yes. For the data ending October 2011, United was above only one other airline, Continental (in number of complaints per 100,000 enplanements)

In September they were at the bottom (just behind CO with 2.39 complaints per 100,000, while for example Southwest was at 0.38)

November 2010 (I'm just randomly clicking on the reports, not looking for high complaint rates) United was second to last, just ahead of Delta.

If you look at all of last year, except for January and August when they were 14th out of 16, and October when they were 15th out of 16, they were dead last for the rest of the months.

Granted it's a silly number, like 161 complaints out of five million people or 84 complaints out of 4 million people (depending on the month) but their being at the bottom of the pile has nothing to do with the merger.

For 2010, in March and September they were 12th out of 18, February and July 14th out of 18, August and October 16th out of 18, April, May, June, and November 17th out of 18 airlines, and they started off and ended the year dead last again.

Last edited by cordelli; Jun 14, 2012 at 1:22 pm
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by channa
No new data on oversales since that's compiled quarterly.
I'm not sure if this result will be nearly as poor, since one of the reasons they cited for the Q1 loss was the revenue shortfall associated with less overbooking during the transition to pre-merger UA's Orion RM system.

As far as the rest of it, atrocious...
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hobo13
Not really. It's pure objectivity. Wait for a real month, not a month full with a major variable changing.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by aacharya:18757129
Originally Posted by hobo13
Not really. It's pure objectivity. Wait for a real month, not a month full with a major variable changing.
data from April shows that the transition did not go smoothly. I believe everyone here probably knows this. Data from later this year will show what any new normal is and the trend will tell a lot.

April's data is certainly meaningful, but no point in overstating what it means.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
No, I'm serious. You are putting a real date on which we can judge one aspect to the merger...... unlike others, who state 'give it a few years'!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by EWR764
I'm not sure if this result will be nearly as poor, since one of the reasons they cited for the Q1 loss was the revenue shortfall associated with less overbooking during the transition to pre-merger UA's Orion RM system.
Which makes no sense...they said they overbooked less around 3/3, yet they had the highest IDB rate in the industry for the quarter.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I still don't understand what you all are calling a "real" or "normal" month. As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.