Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to earn PQM/EQM on United without flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a way to earn PQM/EQM on United without flying?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Usually I have seen them post right away, but I did one today and 8 hours later it still has not posted. I called the service center and they see the charge (I got the email), but they said there is nothing they can do. This put me to the next tier so that is why I did it! They told me to wait. No help for my flight in the morning.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by edcho
That's the price. Are you looking for anything cheaper? The price fluctuates with time (but historically, it goes up during the year and can get to 50+ cents per mile for EQMs).
I would imagine the cost goes up during the year, but can anyone confirm this? Because what I have just read in this thread almost eliminates the need for a mileage run in December (unless you need an excuse to disappear for a few days instead of going to the in-laws).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JC5280
I would imagine the cost goes up during the year, but can anyone confirm this? .....
in the past couple of years the cpm increase in Oct/Nov and peaks in Dec.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium?
PQMs without flying?

Are there still any ways to earn PQMs without actually sitting on the plane? There used to be credit card offers which came with EQMs (in the UA days). Do these still exist?

I am aware about the premier accelerator...too expensive for my tastes.

Any other ways?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Time for Choices PQMs to post?

I'm thinking of cashing in some of my Choices balance for the almost 2,000 PQM that will push me to 1P--one of my flights on Monday involves 2+ hours in a CR7, so increasing my odds of winding up in its tiny F section seems like a good call. But United's Choices page says these PQMs "will be posted to your account within 7 business days." What are my odds of having them show up before Monday?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dhelman
Pick a (preferably international) route that comes closer to the desired PQM goal (10K in your case) either at 1X the number of miles or 3X the number of miles to get close to the 10K PQM you need. Don't forget, a o/w 3,300 flight at 3X PQM works just as well as a r/t with a total of 10K miles. As its refundable (within 24 hours, or just buy a refundable ticket), you don't really care about the cost of the airfare, or where its going to. Feel free to have it originate in a city where you have no intention to leave from or travel to.
Why international? Is that just b/c you get longer routes, or is there some advantage to international even on short routes?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I'm thinking of cashing in some of my Choices balance for the almost 2,000 PQM that will push me to 1P--one of my flights on Monday involves 2+ hours in a CR7, so increasing my odds of winding up in its tiny F section seems like a good call. But United's Choices page says these PQMs "will be posted to your account within 7 business days." What are my odds of having them show up before Monday?
I just did 1k in choices PQMs to top off my balance and the receipt I got said 48 hours but it's five days later and still nothing. Of course my RDMs were removed immediately. Been on the phone with MP for two days now and still nothing. On hold right now yet again...

Originally Posted by gradsflyer
I just did 1k in choices PQMs to top off my balance and the receipt I got said 48 hours but it's five days later and still nothing. Of course my RDMs were removed immediately. Been on the phone with MP for two days now and still nothing. On hold right now yet again...
Just had it partially resolved by a very good agent on this third call. She recognized that my status should have been updated with the redemption and mannually upgraded me. She explained that there are some system issues going on (SHARES related I'm sure) that didn't allow her to add the 1k in PQMs and that this will eventually happen but that it will be delayed. Obviously the big thing was getting my status raised which she very kindly did, something that was not done by the agents in my first two calls yesterday and the day before. If you're hoping for a quick turnaround in getting your status raised with Choices, I wouldn't count on it based on what she told me, but you certainly will lose the RDMs right away.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 27, 2012 at 6:24 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Success, after a call

My experience wasn't that different from @gradsflyer's: Cashed in the miles, saw a message that it would be reflected online in 48 hours, didn't have that happen, picked up the phone. But in my case, I only needed that one call; after one wait to have the rep look up my transaction and another to, I guess, get a supervisor's permission, she said she had "made an exception" and give me 1P status.

(It feels vaguely illicit to see United's site list me as Premier Gold two lines above an EQM total of 48,021.)

My newly-elevated status doesn't seem to be doing much for my odds of an upgrade on tomorrow's flights, but that's a separate issue...
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Earning PQMs without flying

After looking at my flight activity from now until 12/31, it appears I'll be 97 PQMs short of retaining Premier Silver status.

Obviously there are many cheap MRs to be had, but for needing less than 100 PQMs, I thought there might be an easier way to earn miles without flying? For example, any United retail partners that offer PQM bonuses?

I'm aware of the Premier Accelerator on most reservations, but the cheapest option among my remaining flights is $183.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by skaps21
After looking at my flight activity from now until 12/31, it appears I'll be 97 PQMs short of retaining Premier Silver status.

Obviously there are many cheap MRs to be had, but for needing less than 100 PQMs, I thought there might be an easier way to earn miles without flying? For example, any United retail partners that offer PQM bonuses?

I'm aware of the Premier Accelerator on most reservations, but the cheapest option among my remaining flights is $183.
Book a refundable ticket, like BOS > EWR or something.
Maximize.
Refund ticket.

Doesn't have to be one of your existing flights ^

Adam
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Fantastic. And those purchased PQMs won't be yanked back when the reservation is refunded/canceled?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DrDesmo
Book a refundable ticket, like BOS > EWR or something.
Maximize.
Refund ticket.

Doesn't have to be one of your existing flights ^

Adam
Doesn't have to be refundable, if cancelled within 24 hours.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skaps21
Fantastic. And those purchased PQMs won't be yanked back when the reservation is refunded/canceled?
No. But there is a huge long thread on this already.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:57 pm

In my case:
MileagePlus Status: Member
Year to Date Premier Miles: 18,695
Year to Date Premier Segments: 5.5
MileagePlus Premier Silver Progress: around 75%

How to earn a silver? Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trayanh99
In my case:
MileagePlus Status: Member
Year to Date Premier Miles: 18,695
Year to Date Premier Segments: 5.5
MileagePlus Premier Silver Progress: around 75%

How to earn a silver? Thanks
Fly a MR transcon (LGA-SJC is a good one). Then buy the remaining few miles on award accelerator.

But this really should be in the existing thread on "I need xxx miles"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.