Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to earn PQM/EQM on United without flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a way to earn PQM/EQM on United without flying?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hreads-12.html

There should be a sticky for this, getting miles w/o flying seems to be really popular, and oddly hard to search for
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Madone59
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hreads-12.html

There should be a sticky for this, getting miles w/o flying seems to be really popular, and oddly hard to search for
also
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ut-flying.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tor-rates.html

But disagree on the stickly -- there would be too many items. But probably time to create / populate the new FAQs.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:12 pm

PQM's without flying. 1200 miles from UA Gold...

You used to be able to purchase ticket online, buy PQM's at checkout and then refund the ticket.

Is this still possible? If not, is there any way to buy PQM's so I can make gold for the year?

Thanks...

- John
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by JohnInDC
You used to be able to purchase ticket online, buy PQM's at checkout and then refund the ticket.

Is this still possible? If not, is there any way to buy PQM's so I can make gold for the year?

Thanks...

- John
Yes it's still possible..this is the best way to do it outside of flying.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:22 pm

Hmmm. Last week when I booked a ticket from IAD to LHR, the option was no longer available on United's website. Is there some trick to doing it?

Thanks...

- John
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:29 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The ticket has to actually be ticketed; you will then have "Buy Extra Miles for this Trip" beneath the itinerary details when you view the itinerary.

You also have to click the checkbox for the RDM offer to see the PQM offer once you're on the "Buy extra miles" screen.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:22 pm

OK. I just booked a flight on UA and it is showing as not yet ticketed.

Which begs the question...

What do they mean by "ticketed"? Do I have to have them produce a paper ticket or will the system eventually/automatically produce an e-ticket? If the latter, how long does it usually take?

Thanks...

- John
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
OK. I just booked a flight on UA and it is showing as not yet ticketed.

Which begs the question...

What do they mean by "ticketed"? Do I have to have them produce a paper ticket or will the system eventually/automatically produce an e-ticket? If the latter, how long does it usually take?

Thanks...

- John
You don't need to do anything, it just a two step process that is usually minutes but if it involves discount certs or partner airlines it can take longer (days in some corner cases).
So probably done before you read this post.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:46 pm

Holy Cow!!!

They want $165 for a measly 1500 PQM's.

Any idea why it's so expensive? How to get them cheaper?

- John
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Holy Cow!!!

They want $165 for a measly 1500 PQM's.

Any idea why it's so expensive? How to get them cheaper?

- John
Only way that I know of to get them cheaper is to fly. You're 1200 miles short, meaning that you need to find the cheapest 3 segment flight out of DC and you've got the miles you need.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
Only way that I know of to get them cheaper is to fly. You're 1200 miles short, meaning that you need to find the cheapest 3 segment flight out of DC and you've got the miles you need.
Last year I was in the same situation but was just 1300 miles shy of Platinum.

IIRC, I purchased the necessary 1500 PQM's for around $50.

But with them wanting $165, I must ask the question...

Have the UA gods gone mad?

- John
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC

- John
While I don't doubt your story, at those rates (1500 PQM for $50) you'd be able to get 1K for $3333.33. Seems a bit too easy, don't you think?
At the current rates (assuming my math is correct), it's a more reasonable $11000 for 1K.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:01 pm

- John
last year the rates bottomed at 7-7.5 cpm for EQMs+RDMs, this year (presently) it is about 11 cpm (was closer to 9.5 cpm a few weeks ago) for those with >75K PQM. Rasing the prices toward the end of the year is common practice.

Yes MTs are cheaper, but MRs take time and extra effort. UA has decided to place a premium on this. From the postings here, UA is getting takers at this pricing.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle

Where can you have the option to pay for exact PQM that you need? I tried award accelerator on itinerary but what they offer is way more than what I need.

Thanks,
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by epicurus
Where can you have the option to pay for exact PQM that you need? ...,
The best you can do is to create dummy reservations (of shorten distances) and hope you can get a number closer to want you need (and after purchasing the PQMs, cancel the unneeded reservation). If a present reservation is 2x what you need, build one of 1/2 the travel of the present itin. A PIA, yes -- but the only option I know of to better meet your need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.