Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to earn PQM/EQM on United without flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Is there any way to obtain elite qualifying miles other than flying? I enjoy travel but am looking to improve elite status quicker.
Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Book a refundable ticket--preferably a lengthy international one involving a foreign partner--and then buy the Award and Premier Accelerator miles and refund the ticket.

You'll pay for the RDM (with an international itin with foreign partner airlines involved, typically at 2 cents per mile), then pay for the PQM (typically 10 cents per mile), so it's not cheap, but it does work.

Since you get the RDM and PQM almost right away, you can refund the ticket no problem and not have to fly.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:31 pm

In addition ...

There are the older credit cards (like the President's Plus credit card) that earn 1,000 Flexible PQMs for $5,000. However, I don't believe you can apply for them anymore and you can only qualify up to Platinum (if you wanted 1K status, you must fly ALL 100k miles).

There is one old Visa PMUA version of this but i'm not familiar of the rules of that card. Pretty sure you definitely can't apply for that one.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold / *A Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
Book a refundable ticket--preferably a lengthy international one involving a foreign partner--and then buy the Award and Premier Accelerator miles and refund the ticket.

You'll pay for the RDM (with an international itin with foreign partner airlines involved, typically at 2 cents per mile), then pay for the PQM (typically 10 cents per mile), so it's not cheap, but it does work.

Since you get the RDM and PQM almost right away, you can refund the ticket no problem and not have to fly.
I had not realized that the prerequisite RDM are cheaper (2˘) when you book on a foreign partner airline), that is good to know. Of course, its still expensive to get those PQM, but saving a penny or so each helps.

I have been maximizing my earnings on my PMCO Presidential Plus card before I have to pay the $ 395 renewal, as its hardly worth keeping it now that it does not earn the 25% RDM bonus. I should have enough to keep me topped up to Gold for the next three years, which gives me *Gold (and its lounges).
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat
If flying US is an option for you, buying up to elite status is much cheaper there. Fly one segment and then you can buy up to Gold for $1,499.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
There is one old Visa PMUA version of this but i'm not familiar of the rules of that card. Pretty sure you definitely can't apply for that one.
There are actually several old PMUA cards that earn EQMs, the Select, signiture, platinum, the old club card (EQMs discontinued July 1st) and even a few others I believe. Some just grant up to 5k in EQMs per year on UA.com purchases, while others have this plus another 5k in EQMs for over I think 35k in spending. Of course none of these are available anymore unless you already have one. Most of then seem to be continuing with the same benefits (hope this lasts) though some like the old club card are indeed beind discontinued. I have the select, which they have assured me I get to keep for now. At $95 per year it's hard to beat with the EQMs plus 3-1 UA purchases, and 2-1 on *A, dining, gas, groceries, and home improvement.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Contrarian suggestion: buy paid premium-cabin tickets for the few trips you take. You won't have super mega fancy status recognition, but as a full-fare passenger the chances that you will be involuntarily downgraded or denied boarding are fairly low, probably well below 1%.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Is CHOICES still around? Years ago I had to top up my account at year-end to maintain 1K status. Haven't had to do it in a long time but may need it this year.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by mander
Is CHOICES still around? Years ago I had to top up my account at year-end to maintain 1K status. Haven't had to do it in a long time but may need it this year.
Yep, still around: united.com/choices. Nice to have but definitely only as an end of the year resource as you say since 1k in EQMs requires giving up 10k in credit card earned RDMs.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
If flying US is an option for you, buying up to elite status is much cheaper there. Fly one segment and then you can buy up to Gold for $1,499.
How do you do that?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Clarifying options to earn EQM's on current UA

In addition to flying, what options exist for earning additional EQM's on UA? Does UA offer specials for double (for example) EQM's. Do any current Credit cards count towards EQM'S? I have decided to stick with UA despite the program downgrades based on best award option and best flight option to India. Looking to maximize miles and perhaps hit 100K this year to get the higher bonus. For now it looks like a few mileage runs are my only option to pick up another 20K miles. Appreciate the help.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA has had DEQMs -- they have been less frequent in the past few years (true for most airlines), most have been targeted and for only specific routes. None presently.

They are credit cards that earn PQMs (regular and Flex) but none of the cards that are available for new customers presently offer that benefit.

You do earn extra PQM when flying in the higher fare classes, see Earning Miles
or when flying partner airlines.

Also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ut-flying.html
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the link
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by OmahaUnitedMM
In addition to flying, what options exist for earning additional EQM's on UA? Does UA offer specials for double (for example) EQM's. Do any current Credit cards count towards EQM'S? I have decided to stick with UA despite the program downgrades based on best award option and best flight option to India. Looking to maximize miles and perhaps hit 100K this year to get the higher bonus. For now it looks like a few mileage runs are my only option to pick up another 20K miles. Appreciate the help.
The Chase/United Choices program should be available to all UA credit card members, even those with the new club card or the Explorer. United.com/choices. As mentioned it's best just for topping off status as it requires you to give up a lot of reward miles but you can get/buy up to 5k in EQMs per year by using miles earned with UA Chase cards. The rate is 10k in miles earned for 1k in EQMs.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
The Chase/United Choices program should be available to all UA credit card members, even those with the new club card or the Explorer. .....
had not been true original with the OnePlus card, but can confirm this is true for the Club card and the www.United.com/choices shows the Explorer card. T&Cs state
includes United and Continental branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. that accrue MileagePlus award miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.