Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to earn PQM/EQM on United without flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a way to earn PQM/EQM on United without flying?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rinconmike
...0.0100 for the EQM (EWR to CPH)....
typo? presently 10 cpm for PQM/EQM (not 1 cpm).
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
sorry. typo. 0.10 for the EQM.

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
If flying US is an option for you, buying up to elite status is much cheaper there. Fly one segment and then you can buy up to Gold for $1,499.
In re-reading this thread, if I can buy Gold (50,000 points) for $1500, I probably would, but don't see where that is possible.

Anyone know if this is?

thanks,

Mike

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 18, 2012 at 7:23 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rinconmike
In re-reading this thread, if I can buy Gold (50,000 points) for $1500, I probably would, but don't see where that is possible.

Anyone know if this is?

thanks,

Mike
Not for UA -- the other poster was talking about US Air. And US *G gets you little on UA flights.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Is there a way to make Premium Silver without BIS miles

Hi folks,

Is there a way to get Premium Silver status without BIS miles?

I'm currently a 1K from last year, but this year, due to work slowdowns, I'll be lucky to log 10,000 miles. Losing 1K status is bad enough, but I'd like to at least make Premium Silver simply for the early boarding and other privileges. I recall reading a post that said there was a way to buy up to a particular level but I can't find anything on that. Buying miles don't count. Am I just out of luck?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EdatLAX
Hi folks,

I'm currently a 1K from last year, but this year, due to work slowdowns, I'll be lucky to log 10,000 miles. Losing 1K status is bad enough, but I'd like to at least make Premium Silver simply for the early boarding and other privileges. I recall reading a post that said there was a way to buy up to a particular level but I can't find anything on that. Buying miles don't count. Am I just out of luck?
Get Chase UA credit card that covers most of those things.

Also 1.5 yr ago my SO dropped from 1K to nothing (kids) and in early january she got 1K challenge which according to FT thread at the time most people who dropped just one level did not get.
Given current transition mess and quite possibly loss of elites I suspect UA will offer some sort of match/challenge in early 2013 but it's my speculation here. I personally wouldn't go out of my way to get any status in your situation.

Also get AA status match - i think they are still offering it to 1Ks and they do normally have soft landing in case everything else fails. AA out of LAX is a viable option.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by azepine00
Get Chase UA credit card that covers most of those things.

Yeah, I thought about the Chase UA card but I don't want yet another credit card to keep track of. I may change my mind though.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Yeah, I thought about the Chase UA card but I don't want yet another credit card to keep track of. I may change my mind though.
I don't think any of the currently offered cards offer EQM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 3card
I don't think any of the currently offered cards offer EQM.
I have the Chase MP Select card and get a PQM bonus every now and again (got 1,600 PQMs last month that were listed as "PQM bonus" and added to my annual PQM and RDM total). I'm not sure what triggers it, though.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Hi folks,

When you say "buying miles don't count" - do you mean to say that you would not think it cost effective to buy miles to achieve status or do you mean that there is no such thing as purchased miles increasing PQM?

If the former, then that's your choice. If the latter, then I just want to make sure that you know you can use the "elite maximizer" to buy your way up. The credit card route could provide you with 5K EQM(or PQM or whatever it is called these days) - and I have to assume you fly UA some if you're really interested in maintaining status so you won't need a full 25K miles. If you are short a few miles and just won't do a mileage run to get there, you can use the elite maximizer to get some EQM.

There is also "Chase Choice" if you have one of the credit cards that offer that option (mine does). I can spend 50K miles to get 5K PQM, but I would never do that myself.

Some of the credit cards give you things like preferred boarding and first bag checked free, etc. without having to fly UA at all. That may be the best way for you to go. Other than that, you need to fly!

Billy

Last edited by Delta3MM; Aug 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Chase Club card costs $395 per year, but you get 2 free checked bags and Premier Access baggage, boarding, and security (and United Club membership). If you're 1K now, pay attention to some other threads, as some Chase has been known to waive the annual fee for Premiers.

Silver would get you the occasional upgrade and access to E+ at T-24.

Chase Club card + paying for E+ seems like a cheaper way than trying to hit Premier Silver.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: VAG
You can buy status from US Airways, which should give you either *S or *G with the associated privileges. I forget what it costs though, the words "too much" spring to mind
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Buying miles don't count.
They do if you buy the Premier Accelerator. It is pricey (figure ~10-12cpPQM), but it is possible.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
+1 on Chase UA credit cards, depends on what perks you are looking for. Unfortunately, neither credit card options offer an opportunity for CPU, which is basically the same effect if you were Premier Silver.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Anyone know when the purchased PQMs post to status? The RDMs I just purchased to avoid the end-of-year-headache=cum-mileage-run posted almost instantaneously.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by slocouple
Anyone know when the purchased PQMs post to status? The RDMs I just purchased to avoid the end-of-year-headache=cum-mileage-run posted almost instantaneously.
PQMs post as soon as you pay for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.