Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass ( OTP )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pseudoswede
Chase in conjunction with UA, as a renewal benefit for certain UA MP-branded Chase credit cards, offer one-time United Club (UC) access passes. {Hyatt also offers similar passes for their top elites.} These passes offer one-time access to the UC (with any airline same day BP) on a space-available basis. No guest privileges. The pass is only for UA operated clubs, cannot be used at non-UA operated lounges.
Note: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) BP requirements change to just UA/*A

Use of passes at a particular UC / airport can be suspended due to capacity / crowding issues. This issue seems to be most common at DEN and EWR due to United Club closures/renovations going on right now; however, all United Clubs can and have denied entry to one-time pass holders due to capacity constraints.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is a boarding pass required to use a one-time pass at a United Club?
Yes, you must present a same-day United, Star Alliance, or contracted partner airline's boarding pass.

Can I use these one-time passes at partner/contract/*A lounges?
No. These one-time passes are only used at actual United Club lounges world-wide. Any lounge identified on this page as being operated by "United Club" are eligible for use with one-time passes.

Can I use one-time passes at the new United Club Fly in Denver?
Yes. Whether it's worth it to use it for a glorified grab-n-go food/drink stop is up to you.

Can I use a single one-time pass at multiple United Clubs on the same day?
No. You must surrender your day pass upon entering the club. If you plan to visit multiple United Clubs on the same day, you will need multiple day passes or purchase a United Club Day Pass which is sometimes offered through your reservation. There is anecdotal evidence of pass holders being able to use different UA Clubs at same airport -- inquire at the entry desk (it typically involves a stamp on your boarding pass and it will be very YMMV). However, no way to use the same pass at a different airports.

Are in/out privileges allowed when using the one-time pass?
Technically, no. However, it is not out of the realm of possibility if you ask the lounge attendant nicely. YMMV, though.

How many people can enter the United Club with one-time access pass?
One person per pass. Exception - UC policy is all children under 2 are not considered a formal guest.
A one-time pass admits one person, with no guests, to a United Club location. Exception: children under 2 years of age may accompany someone accessing a United Club location with a one-time pass.
Are minors allowed?
Yes, as long as they are accompanied by another person 18 or older (21 or older if the UA Club offers a self-service bar). Remember, one day pass per person (lap child excluded).

Can I be denied entry into the United Club?
Yes. If an United Club is near full capacity, it will no longer sell day passes. It will also deny entry to those with one-time passes initially and other eligible travelers ( UC member, *G, premier cabin,...) could be delayed on entering once capacity reaches local limits.

Are expired one-time passes still usable?
Expired one-time passes can be used for 50% off admission, up to 30 days after the expiration date.

Can I give my pass to a family member or friend? How?
Yes. Now you can e-mail passes (or generate a PDF) directly from the app to whomever you want. You can also take a screenshot of the pass in the United App and email/message that to your family member. Worst case scenario, you can also e-mail/text the 16-digit code to the one-time pass to your friend/family, and the United Club attendant should be able to key it in manually. The pass will remain in your United App until it is used by someone else at a club, so it remains available for your use (unlike a physical pass).

Can I upload/store the one-time pass in the United app?
As of Summer 2017, all new passes issued by the Chase United Explorer card are now loaded directly into the United app (or accessible on the website). You have the option of either e-mailing or generating a PDF of the pass to send to whomever you want. However, if you receive a pass from someone, you cannot save that to your United account.

I see these passes available for sell on eBay/Craigslist/etc? Are they valid? Is this safe?
It should be noted UA frowns on the third party trading, selling, or bartering of their coupons. As with any transaction of this type, it's always buyer beware; however, reports of issues are very rare.
The current going rate on eBay is $30-45 each for passes with a lengthy expiration date. Passes that expire in a few weeks can be had in the $20-30 range, sometimes even less, as the expiration date approaches.

I cancelled my Chase United Explorer card. Are my passes still valid?
Maybe? A user reported on 10/16/2019 that his passes remained on the United app after their UA Explorer credit card was cancelled weeks ago, and the passes worked without issue at the United Club at MCO. This goes against an earlier finding that... any unused one-time passes will be forfeited from your account--even if you printed out the barcode from the United app for later use. The time between card cancellation to pass invalidation is unknown; however, it is suggested that the passes aren't invalid until they disappear from your UA app. This is now an additional risk one needs to be wary about when buying one-time pass barcodes from eBay/Craigslist. Until there is additional proof, it's best to say: proceed with caution.

Entry is also available for $59 (as of 02/2016) at the UC itself or by purchasing within the United mobile app.

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Archive thread: Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass ( OTP )

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:18 pm

Thanks a million. Question answered.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by AUSNYCflyer
UC passes work only at United Clubs. It won't work at partner lounges.
Oops, can I still pose a follow up? If she would fly out of NRT on NH, could she then use the day pass at the NRT UC? In other words, is the carrier she is using a deciding point when there is a UC lounge?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Sadly, the NRT UC remains closed.

But if it were open, a UC day pass could be used there with a same-day *A flight.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:16 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by AUSNYCflyer
UC passes work only at United Clubs. It won't work at partner lounges.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Sadly, the NRT UC remains closed.

But if it were open, a UC day pass could be used there with a same-day *A flight.
With, Japan opening to tourism once again in a few weeks. I wonder if the UA club will open up again soon. Thus letting OP‘s daughter use her pass if her timing is right
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I currently hold the united quest card from Chase. I am not being made a retention offer so I was considering either closing it or downgrading it to the explorer card so that I could have the passes. I don't fly united super often so I am concerned about not being able to use the passes. I am based in NYC. Is there still difficulty in using these one time passes? I figure the explorer card is worth it for the priority boarding and two passes if I decide to fly domestic economy.

Update: I ended up just cancelling the card. Since I would probably be flying out of EWR if on United I didn't want to mess around with day passes maybe being rejected. I was already on the fence so even the chance of running into that issue was enough to push me to cancel.

Last edited by Red259; Oct 22, 2022 at 3:23 pm
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
We had two passes from my United Credit Card and we had a trip to London last month. Our layover was in Chicago and was a little over 3 hours so I decided we would use them there rather than for the 2 hour layover at IAH on the way home. I have some issues walking and am fighting the wheel chair issue so we powered through the terminals at Ohare arriving at the United Lounge about the time I couldn't move much more - only to be told they were full and to go back to the terminal we just walked from and use that lounge.... I guess I must have looked pathetic because she quickly changed her mind and said come in :-) I'm glad we didn't wait until the trip home as things got messed up and we needed every minute to make out flight so we would not have been able to use them.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Any chance that you could have used them in London on the way back? The London United Club is the best one in the system! (and yes it takes the passes!)
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:58 am

Explorer card PC DP

PC from Explorer to Gateway on 11/12
Passes still on UA app until 11/16

I guess those passes screenshots I saved are useless now.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
PC = product change
DP = data point
Old Nov 27, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Can we use the one time pass at the Denver grab and go? If you want to use the lounge also will it be 2 passes then?
Old Nov 27, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tomcat007
Can we use the one time pass at the Denver grab and go? If you want to use the lounge also will it be 2 passes then?
No you cannot based on my recent experience with gifting a pass to a colleague. He was denied entry and directed to the temporary Club at gate 58
Old Dec 5, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by limey1K
No you cannot based on my recent experience with gifting a pass to a colleague. He was denied entry and directed to the temporary Club at gate 58
That’s an interesting data point. I wonder why?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:33 pm

Thank you for the glossary!

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
PC = product change
DP = data point
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Any recent experiences trying to use a one-time pass at the new United Club at EWR near C123? My in-laws will have around 6 hours between flights on Friday, and I'm hoping they can use some expiring passes to relax while fighting jetlag.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:10 am

Purchasing UC Club Passes

We were hoping to treat our wonderful nanny and her husband who have two very, very long layovers in IAD and EWR on her way back to Brazil for the holiday. What's the best way to purchase UC passes? I assume once I purchase I can screenshot and send over to her through text or email. TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.