Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
I looked for booking an award ticket from AKL to PPT on NZ but the site shows that there are no flights on that day. However Ita shows that there is a NZ flight. Is it not possible to book NZ flights online? And should I call to MileagePlus to book my award?
NZ rarely releases any award seats to PPT.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:17 pm

It means there's no availability (which is almost always the case for that route).
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:16 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Thanks. Actually I wanted to book a round trip award from Japan to PPT using several Star Alliance partners including UA to price the total round trip award on 50K UA miles. Is it actually still possible to book several one ways on one award? For example NRT-ICN(UA)-PVG-TPE-BKK-SIN-AKL-PPT? I'm still trying to figure out what's happened after the changes that took place on October 6.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:23 am

10 second summary: if it doesn't show on the website, you can't book it
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:34 am
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
10 second summary: if it doesn't show on the website, you can't book it
Sounds like MileagePlus is copying the same thing SkyMiles has done right?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Similar. But your issue here is that NZ doesn't release award seats to PPT. that's not UA's fault.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:07 am
formerly Goflyer100

However I can remember people that booked this segment in the past. Let's hope award space will come back in the near future! Otherwise I have to redeeme AAdvantage miles on TN.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
Similar. But your issue here is that NZ doesn't release award seats to PPT. that's not UA's fault.
Theres actually quite a bit in November '17.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:34 am
formerly Goflyer100

I also see some award space in Aug, Sep, and Oct. but only in Y. I need it for J. And flights don't show up when I try to book award from NRT.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:52 pm

I also see some award space in Aug, Sep, and Oct. but only in Y. I need it for J. And flights don't show up when I try to book award from NRT.
I've never ever seen a J award seat released on NZ from AKL to points in the South Pacific. Heck, it's only very very recently they started releasing J seats between Australia and NZ, there was basically nothing between 2013 and 2016.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I've never ever seen a J award seat released on NZ from AKL to points in the South Pacific. Heck, it's only very very recently they started releasing J seats between Australia and NZ, there was basically nothing between 2013 and 2016.
Not basically, there was none.

I have not seen a J-seat to PPT ever.

Used to see RAR, but not anymore
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Chances of getting an reward J seat on this route is near zero, unless your redeeming with NZ points which don't require award seats to be available.

This route has recently be changed to an 789 with only 18J, the 763ER that was on the route was 24J with an 10 seat reduction on J seats pretty much is just enough to cover the paid demand.

Also the service is only operated twice weekly by NZ, then then codeshare on TN for an additional twice weekly service.

If you're after J on AKL-Pacific Island best way to get it, is to purchase paid tickets. Often NZ will do AKL-Pacific Islands for $599NZD (Aprox 400USD) OneWay on Sale. Typically NZ does an pretty good New Years sale, so check the airnz.co.nz website tomorrow.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Chances of getting an reward J seat on this route is near zero, unless your redeeming with NZ points which don't require award seats to be available.

good to know then. i was searching for this unicorn flight for a while.

i have an itinerary to PPT later this year, but i am stuck in Y in AKL-PPT-AKL while all my other segments are in J.

i am hoping to upgrade from Y to J while at AKL or PPT airport. but i was told that this is impossible even if i am willing to pay $$$. so, if someone has other experience or opinion on how to make this happen, i would be grateful to know.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

I scored one J seat two years ago, gave it to Mrs. Ex, I rode the exit seat.
Never seen another J availability and I look daily, sometimes twice a day.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I scored one J seat two years ago, gave it to Mrs. Ex, I rode the exit seat.
Never seen another J availability and I look daily, sometimes twice a day.

lucky you. was the J seat to PPT or RAR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.