Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
lucky you. was the J seat to PPT or RAR?
PPT from AKL on the 767.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:04 pm

great. i guess ANZ become even more stingy after upgrading the AKL-PPT planes to 789.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:24 pm

great. i guess ANZ become even more stingy after upgrading the AKL-PPT planes to 789.

They upgraded me on a flight from NAN to AKL and I have flown them a couple of times out
of NRT on the 787. I am not impressed with the seat configuration looking at the other guys feet for the length of the flight and virtually no view out of the window without twisting your neck. Does
beat the 767 seat though, at least on the long haul.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
They upgraded me on a flight from NAN to AKL and I have flown them a couple of times out of NRT on the 787. I am not impressed with the seat configuration looking at the other guys feet for the length of the flight and virtually no view out of the window without twisting your neck. Does
beat the 767 seat though, at least on the long haul.
didnt know ANZ NRT->AKL flight is easy(ier) to get. i know the one most people scored is PVG->AKL

ya i agree. i also think the ANZ 789 business seat configuration is strange (all facing away from window and cant see out unless you do some neck acrobatics like you say). but i presume J would anyhow still be better than Y.

i only sat in dreamliners a few times so far, but the few times i sat in (in Y), i didnt have good experience. i dont know why, but i felt like the economy seats in dreamliners seem narrower. and i am not even oversized.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:59 pm

didnt know ANZ NRT->AKL flight is easy(ier) to get. i know the one most people scored is PVG->AKL

ya i agree. i also think the ANZ 789 business seat configuration is strange (all facing away from window and cant see out unless you do some neck acrobatics like you say). but i presume J would anyhow still be better than Y.

i only sat in dreamliners a few times so far, but the few times i sat in (in Y), i didnt have good experience. i dont know why, but i felt like the economy seats in dreamliners seem narrower. and i am not even oversized.
To get to AKL from NRT used to be easy and cheap via TG direct or SQ via CHC connecting to NZ and then on to the islands. Was cheap, too. 25K in biz, 15 in Y. But UA made these routings published at that rate ( slightly increased now ) but they don't honor them any longer. AKL required always more miles than to Oceania and now they charge to AKL and add on Oceania. Very tricky. NRT-AKL-Islands on NZ still works, if one get get it. Trouble is that they fly PPT only twice a week and usually the AKL flight out of NRT is not available on those days to make the connection, then you have to make a separate and more expensive award booking. To buy a revenue ticket is quite expensive for the short ride. So they got us right where they wanted. But I can find Air Tahiti Nui awards out of NRT paying with AA miles. Just need to be very patient and persistent. Where is a will is a way. It sure is worth it.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:30 am

They upgraded me on a flight from NAN to AKL and I have flown them a couple of times out
of NRT on the 787.
btw, this is Air NZ right?

so Air NZ actually voluntarily upgrade you on NAN-AKL flight ? how long ago was that?

do you have status with *A?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:32 am

To get to AKL from NRT used to be easy and cheap via TG direct or SQ via CHC connecting to NZ and then on to the islands. Was cheap, too. 25K in biz, 15 in Y. But UA made these routings published at that rate ( slightly increased now ) but they don't honor them any longer. AKL required always more miles than to Oceania and now they charge to AKL and add on Oceania. Very tricky. NRT-AKL-Islands on NZ still works, if one get get it. Trouble is that they fly PPT only twice a week and usually the AKL flight out of NRT is not available on those days to make the connection, then you have to make a separate and more expensive award booking. To buy a revenue ticket is quite expensive for the short ride. So they got us right where they wanted. But I can find Air Tahiti Nui awards out of NRT paying with AA miles. Just need to be very patient and persistent. Where is a will is a way. It sure is worth it.
i didnt even know it is possible to score long-haul SQ J class seats using United MP.

i thought if SQ availability ever come up under United MP redemptions, it's always just regional business class seats

with the recent Oct devaluations, i dont know if this was made worse.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:16 pm

i didnt even know it is possible to score long-haul SQ J class seats using United MP.

i thought if SQ availability ever come up under United MP redemptions, it's always just regional business class seats

with the recent Oct devaluations, i dont know if this was made worse.
At that time ( 2 or 3 years ago ) SQ would simply show up on the award search. We flew SQ a lot at the time and enjoyed each and every trip. All of a sudden then SQ availability was gone. Sad.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:19 pm

btw, this is Air NZ right?

so Air NZ actually voluntarily upgrade you on NAN-AKL flight ? how long ago was that?

do you have status with *A?
That was a NZ flight. Somehow special though, since it seemed that they were overbooked in the back. So they upgraded their own elites as well as *G. That was last year. Guess we were lucky.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
SIN-South Pacific/Polynesia on UA miles

Does anybody have a recent experience flying for a vacation to South Pacific/Polynesia while departing from SIN?

If so, what would be the best destination on UA miles in terms of price/performance, while not only taking into account flight and hard/soft products, but the destination itself as well, considering interest in nature, outdoors and and food while be on low-mid budget?

Thanks.

Last edited by invisible; Jan 9, 2017 at 6:35 am
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:49 pm

Award Ticket LAX to NAD

I am just browsing around, but I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions/ luck finding Economy Saver Award tickets from LAX to NAD via AKL? Looking ahead from now, I see Business Saver available on August 12, but can't seem to find any type of saver available other than that. Does anybody know when they release award tickets?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by spencenaz
I am just browsing around, but I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions/ luck finding Economy Saver Award tickets from LAX to NAD via AKL? Looking ahead from now, I see Business Saver available on August 12, but can't seem to find any type of saver available other than that. Does anybody know when they release award tickets?
I think you might mean NAN, if you are talk about Nadi in Fiji.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:34 pm

Has anyone seen any flights to PPT from SFO lately? I used to be able to search the calendar all the time for these flights but now I'm getting nothing.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by floridatraveler90
Has anyone seen any flights to PPT from SFO lately? I used to be able to search the calendar all the time for these flights but now I'm getting nothing.
It used to show up if there was availability SFO-AKL-PPT. I don't think theres required availability across the whole schedule. I see a few dates 10/11 months out where AKL-PPT is available, but no SFO-AKL availability to make a connection.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
..., but no SFO-AKL availability to make a connection.
suspect this has had some impact -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ct-2017-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.