Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1k Marriott Plat
Honeymoon in Borra Borra

I get United doesn't fly there but trying to use miles to book this whole thing. looks like I could get as close as PPT through Air New Zealand (which is fine ill buy a round trip ticket from PPT to Borra Borra. My future wife would like to hit Asia also on this trip. What would be the easiest way to use miles to from EWR To Asia (like Tokyo or some bigger city) then get to PPT. Can I open jaw out of HNL on the way home? Hawaiian Airlines flies out of PPT on Saturdays.

Am I allowed to do a stop over or open jaw between Asia and NZ/Aus

Appreciate the help
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
1. Congrats on impending nuptials
2. It's Bora Bora
3. Suggest you start reading this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lus-miles.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Dec 3, 2015 at 5:20 am Reason: added congrats
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1k Marriott Plat
thanks
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tarheelfan211
I get United doesn't fly there but trying to use miles to book this whole thing. looks like I could get as close as PPT through Air New Zealand (which is fine ill buy a round trip ticket from PPT to Borra Borra. My future wife would like to hit Asia also on this trip. What would be the easiest way to use miles to from EWR To Asia (like Tokyo or some bigger city) then get to PPT. Can I open jaw out of HNL on the way home? Hawaiian Airlines flies out of PPT on Saturdays.

Am I allowed to do a stop over or open jaw between Asia and NZ/Aus

Appreciate the help
Getting award tickets to PPT is problematic.
Even getting anything but economy award tickets to New Zealand is difficult.
You will be allowed 1 stopover -- this could be in Hawaii, Asia, Aus/NZ -- but just 1. You can do a OJ at the destination and occasionally at the SO.

For more see the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rs-2015-a.html .
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Getting award tickets to PPT is problematic.
Only on United/Star Alliance.

If the poster has other mileage currencies, those might be worth looking at, as Tahiti is often not that difficult to get.

DL is partners with both TN and AF. Both fly nonstop from LAX.
AA is partners with TN
AS is partners with AF

Availability on TN is quite decent, actually. AF can be hit or miss.

This is just one of those popular, aspirational spots that UA MP is not the best for.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
awards on AKL-PPT on NZ

Has anyone ever been able to find award seats on this route? Does NZ even release award seats for this?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:24 pm

Nope, any AKL to Pacific Islands is non-existent. (Happy to be corrected)
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, I've seen economy class on several occassions, but never business. Business was much easier to secure to RAR than PPT.

Business has sprung back up on transpac and trans-Tasman routes so keep a closer eye out -- we may see some saver business space return.

IRRC, The Points of Life on Boarding Area was able to snag a saver seat recently, but I'm too lazy to check.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Yes, I've seen economy class on several occassions, but never business. Business was much easier to secure to RAR than PPT.

Business has sprung back up on transpac and trans-Tasman routes so keep a closer eye out -- we may see some saver business space return.

IRRC, The Points of Life on Boarding Area was able to snag a saver seat recently, but I'm too lazy to check.
Have you seen a single AKL-Pacific seat within the past month or so for travel in the future? Granted I haven't checked every flight, but I can't find a thing.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Gold
Not finding AKL-South Pacific award flights

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Have you seen a single AKL-Pacific seat within the past month or so for travel in the future? Granted I haven't checked every flight, but I can't find a thing.
I haven't been able to find anything either. Tried searching many different iterations, even from island to island and can't find anything.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:09 am

Same here. I now route all my PPT trip with AA miles on TN. For NAN I bite the bullet and terminate my MP award ticket in AKL and buy a cheap fare onwards. Additionally UA does not allow me to route through BKK or SIN without treating Japan to Oceania as two awards, one Japan-AKL and the second for AKL-Oceania. Japan-Oceania were historically one of the lowest awards in the system until they came up with this deal breaker.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Additionally UA does not allow me to route through BKK or SIN without treating Japan to Oceania as two awards, one Japan-AKL and the second for AKL-Oceania. Japan-Oceania were historically one of the lowest awards in the system until they came up with this deal breaker.
(As with a lot of things UA), YMMV
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Additionally UA does not allow me to route through BKK or SIN without treating Japan to Oceania as two awards, one Japan-AKL and the second for AKL-Oceania. Japan-Oceania were historically one of the lowest awards in the system until they came up with this deal breaker.
That will be an unfortunate development if it proves out.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by luckypierre
That will be an unfortunate development if it proves out.
Unfortunately for me it already has. UA refused to honor the chart when transiting through BKK and/or SIN. Tried it many times the past six months
and was not successful. And no NZ flights were available ex NRT on the days I needed to make the connection in AKL. Really unfortunate since TG and occasionally SQ are available. I think the change happened last year, I was reading it somewhere on FT.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:51 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
I looked for booking an award ticket from AKL to PPT on NZ but the site shows that there are no flights on that day. However Ita shows that there is a NZ flight. Is it not possible to book NZ flights online? And should I call to MileagePlus to book my award?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.