Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
I am monitoring the airfare for the return flights. I need to fly Jan. 21, a Thursday, which is the day the cruise ship docks and we disembark. The one way air fare is $728 PPT-SFO-MCI in economy. it would take 57K miles for an award seat. The prior Thursday Jan. 14 is $474 and the next Thursday Jan. 28 is $474. There is nothing special about Jan. 21 that I can see. Do you think by searching for a ticket on this date UA computers are raising the price? Might the price come down if I wait to buy it?
There may a cruise ship docking on that day, so a far higher demand for seats and so cheaper fare buckets sold out (= special) .
Why not fly Jan 22?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I am monitoring the airfare for the return flights. I need to fly Jan. 21, a Thursday, which is the day the cruise ship docks and we disembark. The one way air fare is $728 PPT-SFO-MCI in economy. it would take 57K miles for an award seat. The prior Thursday Jan. 14 is $474 and the next Thursday Jan. 28 is $474. There is nothing special about Jan. 21 that I can see. Do you think by searching for a ticket on this date UA computers are raising the price? Might the price come down if I wait to buy it?
Your fellow cruisers bought out the cheaper buckets as part of their all-in package from their travel agents?
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
There may a cruise ship docking on that day, so a far higher demand for seats and so cheaper fare buckets sold out (= special) .
Why not fly Jan 22?
There is a cruise ship docking/embarking that day, mine. There are only 140 passengers on it if it is full. This happens every Thursday, Windstar Wind Spirit embarks and disembarks 140 people for a 7 day cruise. Not all will be flying on UA, most will be on Air Tahiti Nui. UA does not fly from PPT on Jan. 22. They only fly this route Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday. I am staying in Papeete 2 days before the cruise and don't want to stay on after.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you think by searching for a ticket on this date UA computers are raising the price?
No.
Might the price come down if I wait to buy it?
Yes.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Your fellow cruisers bought out the cheaper buckets as part of their all-in package from their travel agents?
Nope. Windstar packages have the air with Air Tahiti Nui, not UA.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am monitoring the airfare for the return flights. I need to fly Jan. 21, a Thursday, which is the day the cruise ship docks and we disembark. The one way air fare is $728 PPT-SFO-MCI in economy. it would take 57K miles for an award seat.
If you want to fly on a specific - route day
  • pay the going rate now
  • wait and gamble the fare will go up or go down
All about risk vs $$$$
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If you want to fly on a specific - route day
  • pay the going rate now
  • wait and gamble the fare will go up or go down
All about risk vs $$$$
Price just went down. 45K miles for the non stop SFO-MCI leg. Booked 2 award tix. I could have got flights for 35K miles but the routing was bad, much longer travel total travel time.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.