Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premiere Accelerator Rates [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Award/Premiere Accelerator Rates [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Does the cost increase in final months of the year usually?
More like skyrockets

Just look for posts by RNE in this thread and you'll get the idea. Also may get an idea of when the prices start to go up - it's gradual at first.

And for the record quite a few folks have been reporting 2.1 per RDM.

EmailKid
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I did not try it but is this option to buy RDM miles active also after I took the outbound flights? Will the offer reduce for the inbound flights at half?

Any experiences?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
I did not try it but is this option to buy RDM miles active also after I took the outbound flights? Will the offer reduce for the inbound flights at half?

Any experiences?
That has been my experience exactly.

EmailKid
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:06 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Just look for posts by RNE in this thread and you'll get the idea. Also may get an idea of when the prices start to go up - it's gradual at first.
Much appreciated.

I expect prices to begin rising as soon as October, but that is highly speculative. There's really no way to know what United is going to do; we don't know how many people are buying at current levels, nor for that matter at previous levels. I suspect sales were not as good as United wanted, thus the recent drop in price. I know the dip in RDM prices made them attractive enough for me to buy and book 200,000+ miles of travel, but that's just me and I digress.

It's very reasonable to expect a rise in PQM (and possibly RDMs) prices this autumn, spiking at year-end and carrying over into the early new year, as happened this year. Why high prices for PQMs in January, after PQMs reset to zero? Again, nobody knows. But it may screw up my own plans.

I am attempting to push late-2012 business travel into 2013. If I am able to do that and it looks like I will have more business travel that year, I may cash in my 30k FEQMs, buy 10k PQMs and fly 10k to make Gold through January 2015. (Not interested in Silver. It's not better than Bronze, in my estimation.) So, I hope PQM prices will drop soon after the new year. That may be why United doesn't lower them immediately. We'll all have to wait and see.

RNE, if you need to buy PQMs this year, now may be the best time to do so.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by whimike
Actually, I thought it was doing this too, but it is doing something different and in the end I am able to buy RDMs for 2.1 cpm.
Mine are still running 2.1-3.0 depending on int'l/award or not, also length.

Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AY Gold, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Diamond
Need help here

Hi,

So i've never played around with this feature before, but I find myself still needing about 8000 miles to target (after utilizing every option - credit cards etc).

I want to book a tkt, purchase the award accelarator miles and then refund the tkt within 24 hrs. What tkt should i aim for if my target is 8000 accelarator miles?.........

Also - any other ideas I may not be aware of for quickly getting closer to target?

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boaz84
I want to book a tkt, purchase the award accelarator miles and then refund the tkt within 24 hrs. What tkt should i aim for if my target is 8000 accelarator miles?.........
for elites this has gotten a bit more difficult.

Originally the offer was the same as the itins orginal EQMs but recently the min offer for many has been 2-3x the itin EQMs. It may take a few tries to get the right amount.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:53 pm

it appears that if you are already 1k or close to it for the year, the option to buy is not appearing your advance flight itineary after ticketing...

anyone else notice this?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by boaz84
Hi,

So i've never played around with this feature before, but I find myself still needing about 8000 miles to target (after utilizing every option - credit cards etc).

One of my current itins, IAD-DEN-RAP (r/t) is showing 8k for the first offer, and 12k for the second, with the PQM priced at 8.5 cpm and the RDM at 3.05 cpm, if that helps.

All of my itins are offering PQM at 8.5 cpm, even up to the 75k PQM an IAD-BKK itin is offering. The RDMs seen to vary greatly between 2.1 and a hair over 3 cpm.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: UA PP, 1MM
PQM purchase option gone at 75K+ ?

Originally Posted by sweetsue
it appears that if you are already 1k or close to it for the year, the option to buy is not appearing your advance flight itineary after ticketing...

anyone else notice this?
Just passed 75K this weekend and now PQM purchase option does not appear for any future flights; will be close to 1K but was counting on purchase, not a mileage run
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by DCethics
Just passed 75K this weekend and now PQM purchase option does not appear for any future flights; will be close to 1K but was counting on purchase, not a mileage run
I guess we have to plan in advance.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Here's my spreadsheets. I have also included PQM buy-ups (which I didn't need personally).

I've uploaded a Numbers document anyone can play with:

http://deirdre.net/images/RDM-PQM-Buy-Up.numbers

I've also uploaded a converted Excel spreadsheet from the above:

http://deirdre.net/images/RDM-PQM-Buy-Up.xls
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:08 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by sweetsue

anyone else notice this?
I just noticed it today. I will be at 99,371 in two weeks and was hoping to buy a few miles to get to 1K so I could have GPUs for an upcoming European trip.

Elite maximizer offers were available a few weeks ago. I haven't traveled since then, but offers are no longer available on previously-booked trips or on trips I just booked.

When I am traveling with family, offers are not available. When family members are traveling without me, offers are available for them.

Of course, I can't use the FEQMs, so I decided to use the MP credit card Choices program to cash in 10k RDMs to get 1000 PQMs.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by DCethics
Originally Posted by uwr
I just noticed it today.

When I am traveling with family, offers are not available. When family members are traveling without me, offers are available for them.
The plot thickens

Don't recall this being mentioned before.

EmailKid
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:31 pm
RNE

You have to hand it to Little Lord Jeffleroy's business sense: a firesale for Silvers, no soup for Platinums, and gouging Golds.

RNE, suggesting shareholders rejoice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.