Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premiere Accelerator Rates [2012]

Old May 6, 2012, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / IC RA/ Hilton Plat / Bonvoy Gold

We had a thread like this on the old CO side back when it was called Elite Maximizer, but that isn't very search friendly for anyone new here.

We can use this thread to post rates we are seeing again, or if a mod deems merge it with the old (and outdated named) thread.

I was also curious if anyone knows if these vary by route? I've been flying a bit lately and I keep seeing a static 13cpm/PQM both on the website and at the airport.

In the past month I've flown:

LAX-EWR,EWR-LAX,LAX-IAH,IAH-MIA,LAX-DEN,DEN-LAX,IAH-DEN,DEN-IAH,MIA-IAH,IAH-LAX

ALL were:
2.8cpm/RDM
13cpm/PQM
Old May 6, 2012, 1:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just check a few hours ago, an UA (TATL) - LH itin and RDM were 2cpm and the PQMs another 8 cpm for a total 10 cpm -- lowest I have seen recently.
Old May 6, 2012, 1:35 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just check a few hours ago, an UA (TATL) - LH itin and RDM were 2cpm and the PQMs another 8 cpm for a total 10 cpm -- lowest I have seen recently.
My UA domestic itin is still showing 12.5cpm (all-in)...
At 10 cpm I would probably bite.

Worth doing a dummy booking? lol
Old May 6, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Why are they still doing this. It was a CO thing and I thought w the merged program they were going to adopt the old UA policy. IF YOU WANT 1K THRN FLY 100,000 MILES. PERIOD. This was really the only fair way of doing it in my humble opinion. I'm not trying to start a UA vs CO thing here. But taking the BEST of both programs, to me, the UA way was the only fair way to go. CO also had some better points and those should have been adopted as well, just not this maximizer stuff
Old May 6, 2012, 4:13 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
No interest in the PQM, but I bought a lot of RDM at 2.0 cpm last year. The cheapest I have seen this year is at 2.5 although a friend told me he was offered at 1.9 cpm. I can't figure out if there is any rhyme or reason for the pricing.

Also does anyone know if you can make multiple mile purchases on the same reservation?
Old May 6, 2012, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Also does anyone know if you can make multiple mile purchases on the same reservation?
Don't think so. I snapped up 20,000 miles at 2c and the link is now gone on the reservation so I can't book again.
Old May 6, 2012, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Vuzuggu
Don't think so. I snapped up 20,000 miles at 2c and the link is now gone on the reservation so I can't book again.
What was your route booking class on the 2c offer?
Old May 6, 2012, 4:59 am

It was DUB->YVR->MCO->DUB using in saverpass economy(award travel).
Old May 6, 2012, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

So it does look like international itins are getting cheaper rates than domestic, as all my legs were domestic and i kept getting the standard 2.8cpm/RDM & 13cpm/PQM
Old May 6, 2012, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Why are they still doing this. It was a CO thing and I thought w the merged program they were going to adopt the old UA policy.
LOL!

The new UA never adopts the old UA policy. It's either the old CO policy, or an all-new policy that is worse than both the old UA policy and the old CO policy.

Originally Posted by 5khours
I think it's just once before check-in (in My Itins) and once during check-in.

If you want to buy more than that, just do a dummy booking.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reason: merge
Old May 6, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Why are they still doing this. It was a CO thing and I thought w the merged program they were going to adopt the old UA policy. IF YOU WANT 1K THRN FLY 100,000 MILES. PERIOD. This was really the only fair way of doing it in my humble opinion. I'm not trying to start a UA vs CO thing here. But taking the BEST of both programs, to me, the UA way was the only fair way to go. CO also had some better points and those should have been adopted as well, just not this maximizer stuff
The flawed assumption is that the more miles one flies, the more profitable they are for the airline. This is not true, when we have the existence of mileage runners and when I have analyzed my own travel. UA makes much more profit off me when I fly SFO-LAX or SFO-SAN or even SFO-DEN or SFO-SEA instead of SFO-PHL or SFO-IAD (nonstop or connections make no difference on the transcons). The cpm I pay for RDMs and PQMs is much higher on those short routes. I pay a lot relative to how far I am transported and get very little in terms of RDM/PQMs on short routes. I suppose that miles may be easier to track than to calculate profit realized per passenger, so all airlines based their loyalty programs on miles flown, but i have never believed that more miles flown on ultracheap tickets = better customer.

The elite maximizer is still around because it is pure profit for UA. That customer didn't take up a seat to earn those PQMs; UA didn't have to burn jet fuel, pay baggage handlers, GAs, FAs etc. to deal with him. If you're the type of customer who buys PQMs, then you don't fly as much as someone who earns them by sitting in a seat. The Elite Maximizer person is not flying as much so by definition, he's not competing with you as much for upgrades.
Old May 6, 2012, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You've got some pretty aggressive stances to take if you don't want to "start" something.

Kind of like wanting to get the last word in.

As for facts:

1. 1K is still not eligible via Elite Max.
2. If you were 30 miles away from Gold, you wouldn't use Elite Maximizer?
Old May 6, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
As for facts:

1. 1K is still not eligible via Elite Max.
2. If you were 30 miles away from Gold, you wouldn't use Elite Maximizer?
Actually, Elite Max miles do count for 1K status, as they always have, since the merger.
Old May 6, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

you can buy up to 1k with premiere accelerator, you cannot hit 1k with the CO PP Card Flex EQMs.

So basically with current rates you can "buy" 1k for about $10k
Old May 6, 2012, 4:21 pm

What kind of rates are people getting on the RDM?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.