FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines Award/Premiere Accelerator Rates [2012]
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:06 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Just look for posts by RNE in this thread and you'll get the idea. Also may get an idea of when the prices start to go up - it's gradual at first.
Much appreciated.

I expect prices to begin rising as soon as October, but that is highly speculative. There's really no way to know what United is going to do; we don't know how many people are buying at current levels, nor for that matter at previous levels. I suspect sales were not as good as United wanted, thus the recent drop in price. I know the dip in RDM prices made them attractive enough for me to buy and book 200,000+ miles of travel, but that's just me and I digress.

It's very reasonable to expect a rise in PQM (and possibly RDMs) prices this autumn, spiking at year-end and carrying over into the early new year, as happened this year. Why high prices for PQMs in January, after PQMs reset to zero? Again, nobody knows. But it may screw up my own plans.

I am attempting to push late-2012 business travel into 2013. If I am able to do that and it looks like I will have more business travel that year, I may cash in my 30k FEQMs, buy 10k PQMs and fly 10k to make Gold through January 2015. (Not interested in Silver. It's not better than Bronze, in my estimation.) So, I hope PQM prices will drop soon after the new year. That may be why United doesn't lower them immediately. We'll all have to wait and see.

RNE, if you need to buy PQMs this year, now may be the best time to do so.