Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Today's latest PNR splitting experience flying
Split PNR put me at #1 and wife as #6. #'s 2/3 and 4/5 had same last name and from conversation at gate were traveling together. So why did they stay in order but we didn't? I figured what would happen is what typically happens because SHARES is useless...only one of us would get the upgrade even though I was #1 and theoretically wife should have been #2. Companion benefit never works for me clearing in advance and usually results in us sitting apart even though two seats end up being open in the end. #2 could be on a lower fare class, checked in later etc....they might as well say add companion at gate rather than give the impression that by booking together you are eligible to upgrade yourself and said companion if you are next on list and two seats are open.
It's possible that 2/3 and 4/5 were all silvers, rather than companions (though admittedly unlikely). I believe that your companion gets upgraded after everyone with your same status level but before everyone of the next lower status. So if you're gold with a companion, you'd get upgraded somewhere within the golds based on fare class, and your companion would get upgraded after all golds but before the first silver. (I think this is how it works.)

But also the probability of getting a companion upgrade as a silver is just sooo slim.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bigwings8
possible that 2/3 and 4/5 were all silvers, rather than companions (though admittedly unlikely). I believe that your companion gets upgraded after everyone with your same status level but before everyone of the next lower status. So if you're gold with a companion, you'd get upgraded somewhere within the golds based on fare class, and your companion would get upgraded after all golds but before the first silver. (I think this is how it works.)

But also the probability of getting a companion upgrade as a silver is just sooo slim.
You are correct about where they fall in line...well at least as I was aware in the old CO days if you added a companion they would place somewhere after all actual status holders

The gripe is that if CPUs process as it's supposed to at the 72/48/24windows and let's say R>2 then it should upgrade myself and companion in PNR (let's just assume we have highest fare or no other Elites within specific windows). But if R=0 at window and then it stays that way at checkin with two seats open (Scenario Elite Pax A with companion B are booked on highest fare, Elite C is second highest fare) A\B checkin, PNR is split, C checks in and then B goes to #3 on list

If UA doesn't want to open R in hopes of selling more F then fine by me. But don't change the transparency just because I'm not upgraded in advance Upgrade in advance with open R would clear Pax A/B....because UA decides to hold out though Pax A/C are upgraded.

Does this make sense or a I I missing something???
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Hi all,

Just became Silver for the first time this year and have been reading FT threads constantly. Here's my question:

Flying with my wife (no status) in a few days. I've been reading about auto-splitting, and I don't want to end up upgrading without her (though I know chances are very slim LAX-IAH Thurs morning) but I also don't want to take us out of the running for E+. So I've read that I shouldn't use OLCI to avoid the auto-split and wait till the airport, but isn't E+ awarded at check-in? So by waiting longer to check in am I then putting us much farther down on the list for E+? Appreciate any and all insight.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by crosscountry58S
Hi all,

Just became Silver for the first time this year and have been reading FT threads constantly. Here's my question:

Flying with my wife (no status) in a few days. I've been reading about auto-splitting, and I don't want to end up upgrading without her (though I know chances are very slim LAX-IAH Thurs morning) but I also don't want to take us out of the running for E+. So I've read that I shouldn't use OLCI to avoid the auto-split and wait till the airport, but isn't E+ awarded at check-in? So by waiting longer to check in am I then putting us much farther down on the list for E+? Appreciate any and all insight.
When you do OLCI you will be asked if you wish to be added to the upgrade list. If you select no the you won't split. This has been my experience on the last few flights with my wife.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
My friend has status and his wife does not. He called UA and talked to four different agents and they all said in order for his wife to be eligible for an upgrade unless the PNR was split. It made no sense but he did it. When he went to the airport in HNL, the agent there said you should never split the PNR.

Of course, on the return, since his wife had no status, she was not eligible for E+ or free baggage.

Is this something new?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Hi all,

I would check the plane to see how many seats in first are booked/ open (m.united.com is particularly good for this).

As a silver flying a prime route, you probably wouldn't get upgraded even on your own. If, however, there are a large number of available F seats and very few people in E+ (since the majority of them are probably gold or higher), you could hold off on checking in waiting for the upgrade.

I would almost certainly, however, check in as early as possible to get E+ seating for you both. Then I'd probably split the reservation anyway to get on the upgrade list. If you do end up with one upgrade, it probably won't be hard to convince the guy sitting next to your wife to trade with you for first class.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:07 pm

Ok so just to clarify, I can decline the PNR split at OLCI but still have us both be eligible for E+ at that time? I associate the term "upgrade" with E+ also, but perhaps I shouldn't be.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:10 pm

Ok so just to clarify, I can decline the PNR split at OLCI but still have us both be eligible for E+ at that time? I associate the term "upgrade" with E+ also, but perhaps I shouldn't be.
Yes -- even if it splits, your companion (in theory) still should be eligible for E+.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:15 pm

Also, be careful that you don't have a return trip scheduled. If you have a return and you split now, your companion might not be eligible for all (haha) your benefits as a silver. (E+ seating, free bag, etc. Haha because UA has all but stripped silver of any benefits)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:42 pm

Yes, and that's another reason not to split as this is a roundtrip. I didn't start reading all this until the trip was already booked, but lesson learned now. So now one more question regarding the inbound: if I think we both have a chance at upgrading coming back, I need to "manually" split after the outbound leg is complete, correct? Or I guess I can opt-out of auto check-in for the inbound and then at T-24 when checking in for the inbound I will be prompted to split again? Appreciate all the prompt responses as always.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by honmani2
Of course, on the return, since his wife had no status, she was not eligible for E+ or free baggage.
The companion still gets E+ and free baggage.
If the website tries to charge you for either, call the premier desk and have them fix it.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Rather shocking to me that this thread has existed for almost 2 years. (OK, not really.)

I occasionally travel as a party of 4. In times of IRROPS, agents continue to roll their eyes when they realize that we're on separate locators, and they will need to rebook each of us individually. I've learned to just say 'SHARES' and we both laugh and everything is cool. And then 15 minutes later, I walk away with new boarding passes.

It's ironic that SHARES requires so much work to rebook a passenger, and then it multiples that amount of work by effectively pushing passengers onto their own reservation. Talk about a negative force multiplier!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Yes, and that's another reason not to split as this is a roundtrip. I didn't start reading all this until the trip was already booked, but lesson learned now. So now one more question regarding the inbound: if I think we both have a chance at upgrading coming back, I need to "manually" split after the outbound leg is complete, correct? Or I guess I can opt-out of auto check-in for the inbound and then at T-24 when checking in for the inbound I will be prompted to split again? Appreciate all the prompt responses as always.
If you don't split on the outbound you need to call in and have the "do not upgrade" flag removed from your record (this can be hit and miss with the premier desk), you'll know they've done it as the blue upgrade arrow will reappear on your reservation. To then split on the return if you have selected auto checkin you'll need an agent to uncheck you in before you can do OLCI to split.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alex_b
If you don't split on the outbound you need to call in and have the "do not upgrade" flag removed from your record (this can be hit and miss with the premier desk), you'll know they've done it as the blue upgrade arrow will reappear on your reservation. To then split on the return if you have selected auto checkin you'll need an agent to uncheck you in before you can do OLCI to split.
I think this has now been fixed.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by gylf
The companion still gets E+ and free baggage.
If the website tries to charge you for either, call the premier desk and have them fix it.
Interesting. How would the computer know that on the return, the companion is still tied to the original PNR with the person who has status? Seems to me once the PNR is split, each person is treated individually based on status or lack thereof.

Am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.