Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:40 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Originally Posted by Kacee
OP, there's not much you can do prior to the airport except keep watching for better seats to open up. Then raise the issue at the gate and see if the GA can help you. Failing that, once on board see if passengers are willing to swap seats so you and your wife can sit next to each other. You can ask yourself or enlist an FA to help you.
Thanks for the advice. That's my plan -- I also called Mileage Plus and they've allegedly marked my record so that the Gate Agent is alerted to trying to facilitate the switch. The MP Agent suspects that we're not the only ones who've been separated, given how the re-seating was handled. I just wish we weren't both in window seats, since if one of us had an aisle making a swap would likely be easier.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2017 at 3:22 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Here's a correct way...Maybe my assumption is wrong, but I'm guessing the OP and their companion are on the same reservation. How about United manually addresses MAJOR equipment changes or 10-hour flights? Wouldn't take TOO MUCH to see that the OP and their companion are traveling together, and with a plethora of seat pairs on the 764, stick them together instead of each with a random person in various rows.
not always that easy. Depends on how many pairs of seats there are in the old and new aircraft, and how many other pairs of travellers there are. It’s possibke that they put as many pairs as they could together after the sap, but for whatever reason, OP drew the short straw.

Also could be better than other potential situations. For example, if the choice was to either put the new aircraft type on, with some pairs having to get separated, vs. canceling a flight because they couldn’t find one of the same type, I know which one Is prefer.

Originally Posted by Kacee
OP, there's not much you can do prior to the airport except keep watching for better seats to open up. Then raise the issue at the gate and see if the GA can help you. Failing that, once on board see if passengers are willing to swap seats so you and your wife can sit next to each other. You can ask yourself or enlist an FA to help you.
yes, good advice to keep checking.

And many of us have had this happen. Had a domestic 777 swap two days before departure earlier this year from a 3-3-3 777 to a 3-4-3 one. Wife and I (and lap infant) on the same record, were split. It appears they tried to keep same seat letters - wife switched from a window seat to an aisle which had the same letter. I moved from my aisle seat to a window seat a couple for rows back, my seat letter didn’t exist, so i think hey just put me wherever else (ignoring my profile which has aisle seat preference). We were lucky, One of our rows had both other seats empty, so i was able to move us together, and the third seat remained empty so our lap child was able to get her own seat.

I realoze we were lucky, but between that and a canceled flight, I’d rather go, even if it means separate seats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2017 at 3:23 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:06 am
prh

Originally Posted by emcampbe
not always that easy. Depends on how many pairs of seats there are in the old and new aircraft, and how many other pairs of travellers there are. It’s possibke that they put as many pairs as they could together after the sap, but for whatever reason, OP drew the short straw.
Seat map yesterday had 15 pairs (configuration was 1-2-1) -- two of which were unassigned. New seat map has 16 pairs (configuration is 2-1-2), so they could have kept all the pairs together.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
It does suck and you'd think IT could assign doubles traveling together.
If I hadn't checked my HNL-SFO that went from 777HD to 773 my 2.5 year old nephew would have been sitting 3 rows back on his own.
We also had SFO-MTJ cxl and the rebooking was going to put him on a different SFO-DEN flight than the rest of us.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It does suck and you'd think IT could assign doubles traveling together.
If I hadn't checked my HNL-SFO that went from 777HD to 773 my 2.5 year old nephew would have been sitting 3 rows back on his own.
We also had SFO-MTJ cxl and the rebooking was going to put him on a different SFO-DEN flight than the rest of us.
Pre merger I had this happen to us on a long haul flight. The difference is that the telephone agents did everything they could to get us seated together at least across the aisle from one another. What we didn’t get is “you’ll have to wait until you get to the airport and hope the gate agent will help you” kind of response which is now apparently the norm.

I get it that unavoidable aircraft swaps happen, and people are going to be displaced. What I don’t get is why United has abandoned it’s previously valuable CSR desire to make things whole before you get to the airport and Has embraced the “let someone else handle it” approach.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I also don't understand how the software does not handle seats in an equipment change better, and why it can take a long time for the website to catch up with the change. This is one reason why I use EF to alert to equipment changes. At least if you find out early, you may be able to call in and get it fixed easier.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:16 pm
prh

Gotta love this: UAL has now updated the status to say the inbound plane is coming from SJO, but the planes continue to not match up.

Also I tweeted about the situation and got a pleasant, but totally unhelpful response, from their twitter folks.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I also don't understand how the software does not handle seats in an equipment change better, and why it can take a long time for the website to catch up with the change. This is one reason why I use EF to alert to equipment changes. At least if you find out early, you may be able to call in and get it fixed easier.
It has gotten better through the alignment of row numbers across similar aircraft (so no more reserving row 7 on an A320 and then seeing a swap to a 737 that started a row 8)

But with a swap like a 767 to 777 things are going to go haywire.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by prh
Gotta love this: UAL has now updated the status to say the inbound plane is coming from SJO, but the planes continue to not match up.

Also I tweeted about the situation and got a pleasant, but totally unhelpful response, from their twitter folks.
BTW, the United Cargo site often has had better information about which plane is flying, further in advance, than the passenger schedule:

https://booking.unitedcargo.com/skyc...wp:scheduleOpr

If you put in the route it shows that on 10/14 IAD-HNL is a 767 and on 10/21 it's planned for a 777.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
To add to the fun, I'm pretty sure the flight is badly overbooked since they sold into the larger equipment. Currently F0 Y0 with every seat in F except the block at 7D assigned.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:35 pm
prh

Originally Posted by findark
To add to the fun, I'm pretty sure the flight is badly overbooked since they sold into the larger equipment. Currently F0 Y0 with every seat in F except the block at 7D assigned.
Yup. They just called me to offer us $500 to go thru SFO and arrive 4 hours later, assuming SFO isn’t fogged in. Of course, I could have booked that combination for more than $500 less at the time I booked the original flight.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by prh
Yup. They just called me to offer us $500 to go thru SFO and arrive 4 hours later, assuming SFO isn’t fogged in. Of course, I could have booked that combination for more than $500 less at the time I booked the original flight.

Well check the seatmap as others may take the offer and free up a seat!

Kind of f'd up, that's for sure.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:25 pm
prh

T

Originally Posted by drewguy
Well check the seatmap as others may take the offer and free up a seat!

Kind of f'd up, that's for sure.
Checking hourly. I actually spoke to a supervisor and asked her to put something in the system to give us the seats that are given up. She put me on hold and came back and said she had tried but couldn’t get the system to do that. interestingly our travel companion did not get the phone call with the offer.

FWIW, the supervisor told me that the reason for the equipment change was that the larger plane had been diverted to ferry people to and from San Juan. If true, I feel better about the situation.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
I get it that unavoidable aircraft swaps happen, and people are going to be displaced. What I don’t get is why United has abandoned it’s previously valuable CSR desire to make things whole before you get to the airport and Has embraced the “let someone else handle it” approach.
They don't even seem to be able to send out email notifications of changes reliably. I have one flight thats gone through 3 aircraft (3 class 772 -> 2 class 772 -> refitted 789) and the wife and I keep getting scattered about with nary a word about the plane changes let alone the downgrade from F to J. Fortunately I keep checking and have been able to find seats next to each-other that work but I wonder how many people might not checking. I only seem to get equipment and schedule change notifications from them about 3/5 of the time.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:41 pm
prh

Update: by regular checking, i was able to move my wife to the seat directly behind me. I'm not sure that will help get us an aisle seat so we can get together, but at least we're now in shouting distance of each other.

And, in other news, the inbound flight is reportedly coming from SJC. However, United's timetable does not show any non-stops today from SJC to IAD. Flight status currently lists it as 90 minutes late, which doesn't affect tomorrow's departure, but interestingly, the inbound flight is reportedly coming from LAX, but once again that route doesn't exist and this time the flight number doesn't exist although Flightview (but not Flightaware) shows the flight number supposedly going from DEN to SJC, but says get info from UAL. It also shows an LAX to SJC flight with the number but it's called delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.