Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO-FRA on the 744 in April. Bounced from 14A/B (which I carefully selected back in December) to 9J/K. In other words, two of the best seats in the cabin to two of the worst. No decent pairs left upstairs or down. Called UA . . . explanation is "operational needs" which likely translates as FAM. Of course they won't do anything.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Early March ORD to SFO. My husband and I were on different reservation numbers. We had middle and aisle 14 I think. When we checked in we learned he was randomly moved to another part of the plane (keeping aisle) and I was left with center in the old row. Called to complain and miraculously two exit row seats opened up while we were on the line, which we received for free. Nice outcome.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:41 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Flight Monday, LAX-DEN-XXX. LAX-DEN is a domestic 777 (2-4-2). Had booked forward facing window. Got a notification that there was an aircraft change. New seat? Naturally it would be rear facing, and no window seats left.

Same aircraft config.

Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:54 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
goalie sis and her fiancee were seat in 4A&B for a flight tomorrow and I had been reminding goalie-sis to add her fiancee's mp# to the reservation and she did that about a week ago. For "you know hat and giggles", I looked at her reservation yesterday and noticed that her fiancee had no seat assignment and 4A was showing as assigned. Normally I would think that it was due to the upcoming weekend I/T nonsense w/r/t schedule changes but I decided call anyway and the phone agent said that her fiancee did in fact not have a seat assignment and after poking around, she said that is was because his mp# was added to the reservation after booking and once that happens, the seat assignment is lost-anyone else have that happen?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by goalie
goalie sis and her fiancee were seat in 4A&B for a flight tomorrow and I had been reminding goalie-sis to add her fiancee's mp# to the reservation and she did that about a week ago. For "you know hat and giggles", I looked at her reservation yesterday and noticed that her fiancee had no seat assignment and 4A was showing as assigned. Normally I would think that it was due to the upcoming weekend I/T nonsense w/r/t schedule changes but I decided call anyway and the phone agent said that her fiancee did in fact not have a seat assignment and after poking around, she said that is was because his mp# was added to the reservation after booking and once that happens, the seat assignment is lost-anyone else have that happen?
Never had that, and I have added MP# after booking before
Old May 25, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
GS customer reassigned from seat

Before I start: I hope this discussion doesn't go into the "United has the right to move your seat". I am aware of that but just wanted to get people's thoughts on what happened below and why:

I am a Global Services customer who booked a paid business class seat. The cabin configuration was 2-1-2 so I booked the 1 row seat. Today when I go to check-in, I noticed my seat was re-assigned to the 2 side. I called UA and they tell me that about 10 days ago my seat was changed due to "operational reasons". They said they can do this if there is an equipment change or "other operational issues". What does this mean. The equipment is still the same and I doubt they knew 10 days ago that the seat is not working. So if someone else is sitting in that seat tomorrow, what am I to make of it??

I am surprised they would treat their best customers this way and not even tell me. Moving anyone is wrong but to move your best customers, I don't get it. Any suggestions or ideas why they did this?
Old May 25, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Before I start: I hope this discussion doesn't go into the "United has the right to move your seat". I am aware of that but just wanted to get people's thoughts on what happened below and why:

I am a Global Services customer who booked a paid business class seat. The cabin configuration was 2-1-2 so I booked the 1 row seat. Today when I go to check-in, I noticed my seat was re-assigned to the 2 side. I called UA and they tell me that about 10 days ago my seat was changed due to "operational reasons". They said they can do this if there is an equipment change or "other operational issues". What does this mean. The equipment is still the same and I doubt they knew 10 days ago that the seat is not working. So if someone else is sitting in that seat tomorrow, what am I to make of it??

I am surprised they would treat their best customers this way and not even tell me. Moving anyone is wrong but to move your best customers, I don't get it. Any suggestions or ideas why they did this?
What's the flight? If you don't have expertflyer we can look up to see if the seat is "blocked" - the aircraft in question may have a broken seat which would be one explanation.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot

It could be FAM. Was this a 767? Which seat?
Old May 25, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
Air Marshall is not unlikely ... how many days until your flight?

Might be a disabled passenger.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
The plane could have potentially swapped to a 763 (2-2-2) from a 764 (2-1-2). They may have tried to get you close to the seat you originally had chosen, but when the plane swapped back, the seat got stuck and the original became available and someone picked it. If you feel that UA is not treating you well on the basis of a seat snafu, you come across as a DYKWIA. Millions fly everyday - and a few lose their seat assignments daily. Today, it was just your number.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:15 am

PrivatePilot if you can provide your flight details, I can try to give you more information.

There are at least 2 systems that can intervene with a booking to change your seats:

the first is an itinerary based passenger re-accommodation (IBPR) and this makes changes when adjustments occur to flight schedule, equipment changes, flight number, etc...

the second is a customer automated reaccomodation system (CARS) and this works more close-in with IRROPS or need for service recovery.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by fumje
It could be FAM. Was this a 767? Which seat?
Yes, 767-400ER. Maybe I shouldn't go on that flight then. I was planning on having some choice words with whomever was on that seat ; - )

Last edited by PrivatePilot; May 25, 2017 at 8:42 am
Old May 25, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by runner450
PrivatePilot if you can provide your flight details, I can try to give you more information.

There are at least 2 systems that can intervene with a booking to change your seats:

the first is an itinerary based passenger re-accommodation (IBPR) and this makes changes when adjustments occur to flight schedule, equipment changes, flight number, etc...

the second is a customer automated reaccomodation system (CARS) and this works more close-in with IRROPS or need for service recovery.
OK, I will PM those who asked for flight details. The flight in within 24 hours and the seat re-assignment happened 10 days ago. There was no equipment swap. It was a 2-1-2 and is still a 2-1-2.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
FAM.

Why does this merit a separate thread? Random Seat Changes to UA Itineraries After Having Assigned Seat.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
The plane could have potentially swapped to a 763 (2-2-2) from a 764 (2-1-2). They may have tried to get you close to the seat you originally had chosen, but when the plane swapped back, the seat got stuck and the original became available and someone picked it. If you feel that UA is not treating you well on the basis of a seat snafu, you come across as a DYKWIA. Millions fly everyday - and a few lose their seat assignments daily. Today, it was just your number.
As I said initially, I know UA has the right to change my seat but I also have the right to be upset about it and yes, I do feel I am being treated unwell. If its not a FAM, disability, etc and someone else gets that desirable seat that I booked and I get a less desirable seat, how am I not treated unwell? Its not a snafu, its not an equipment change, UA admitted they changed it for "operational reasons", so what makes that other person more entitled to get my seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.