Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by prh
And, in other news, the inbound flight is reportedly coming from SJC. However, United's timetable does not show any non-stops today from SJC to IAD. Flight status currently lists it as 90 minutes late, which doesn't affect tomorrow's departure, but interestingly, the inbound flight is reportedly coming from LAX, but once again that route doesn't exist and this time the flight number doesn't exist although Flightview (but not Flightaware) shows the flight number supposedly going from DEN to SJC, but says get info from UAL. It also shows an LAX to SJC flight with the number but it's called delayed.
N67052:

positioned EWR-LAX as UA1102, a revenue flight
ferries empty LAX-SJC as UA2560
chartered SJC-IAD as UA2540 to carry the 49ers to play the Redskins

and will continue on in revenue service, IAD-HNL.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I also don't understand how the software does not handle seats in an equipment change better, and why it can take a long time for the website to catch up with the change. This is one reason why I use EF to alert to equipment changes. At least if you find out early, you may be able to call in and get it fixed easier.
I have 8 intercontinental flights booked in the next 45 days.

Plus 10 transcontinental.

And tons of shorter ones.

I'm not even sure I can be bothered to set up alerts for the intercontinental flights.

I wish TripIt would handle stuff like this, as it actually has all my itineraries in it by default.

Maybe I can hack something together with their API to automatically set EF alerts

Last edited by canadiancow; Oct 14, 2017 at 12:15 pm
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:51 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Postscript: right after they announced that boarding would begin in five minutes, they called all three of us up to the podium and asked if we would agree to voluntarily agree to downgrade to economy for $500. We all demurred. Whereupon they told us they were doing it anyway. When we protested vigorously, they asked us to take a seat. Eventually they found two volunteers. We were the last three to board the plane. Two of us on opposite on opposite sides of first class, the third in economy, against wishes, but with $3000 in flight credits. Oh, btw, the gate agents were laughing at us and pointing at us.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by prh
Postscript: right after they announced that boarding would begin in five minutes, they called all three of us up to the podium and asked if we would agree to voluntarily agree to downgrade to economy for $500. We all demurred. Whereupon they told us they were doing it anyway. When we protested vigorously, they asked us to take a seat. Eventually they found two volunteers. We were the last three to board the plane. Two of us on opposite on opposite sides of first class, the third in economy, against wishes, but with $3000 in flight credits. Oh, btw, the gate agents were laughing at us and pointing at us.
Yeah that sounds like UA at EWR.

Hope you all get quickly past the crappy UA experience and enjoy a great vacation in Hawaii!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Another ski trip another 3 year old scattered about the plane. Was checking my reservations last night and SFO-YYC went from CR7 to CR2. Luckily it was mostly empty so I could get all 5 of us back in rows 2/3.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Check in problems with AC segment

My wife and I are United Platinum /*Gold but live in YQR. As a consequence when leaving home our first segment is always on AC and we have to check in with AC. We have a trip to BKK tomorrow with YQR-YYC-( AC) and the rest UA and ANA. We had selected Economy Plus seats for the UA segments a months ago. I checked occasionally to make sure there were no equipment changes, as recently as a couple of days ago.

I was surprised to find today, however, that on on line check with AC the AC system had changed our seat assignments, separating us by several rows and moving us from E+, at least for the first segment.

A call to AC suggests that this was system generated and the agent says that they cannot change seat assignments on UA. UA says they cannot access the to change as the AC system has locked them out. We have to hope that those seats are still available when we get to Calgary tomorrow and that they aren't snagged by others at check in.

Fortunately it is on the shortest YYC-SFO segment but it got me thinking that something similar could have happened on the TPAC, when I would be pretty upset.

Has anyone else come across this or have any other suggestions on how to correct it or avoid it all together, without avoiding OLCI with AC completely?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA operated YYC-SFO is a CRj-200 with only the first row consisted E+. Were you on a common PNR or separate PNRs?

It sounds like something happened that caused a seating sweep and this was mostly an UA caused changed. AC can not directly change seats on a UA operated flight.

Assuming Row 1 is filled, there is likely little that can be done about that but asking at the gate and if needed, then on the plane, you can probably address the separated seating.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
We are on the same PNR. I'm not too worried about this segment but it got me thinking about if it had happened on a different segment and we had lost carefully planned arrangements. I have no idea how it happened.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Are there any tools to see if an aircraft was swapped before departure? Assuming the same equipment / configuration, would seats get reassigned?

I booked a ticket for a me and a companion - UA 616 SFO-ORD - and as a Gold I selected two E+ seats, 11D and 11E. After checking in, we woke up to see that our seats had been moved to 12B and 12D. The Premier Desk and SFO CS reps couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything about it as the flight was full. Once we boarded, it sounded like a number of people sitting in the immediate vicinity had been reseated too. Fortunately we were able to move seats around so that everyone could sit next to the persons they wanted to, but unfortunately for us, we were moved from E+ to E.

Is it possible that all of this was due to a swap in planes after check-in? Or is it likely that someone at United moved us around to accommodate another pax?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Are there any tools to see if an aircraft was swapped before departure? ...
a lot of tools exist for notifying of schedule/aircraft changes -- I use ExpertFlyer (subscription), but others exist. However, none are realtime or catch double changes within their sampling timeframe.

flightstats.com provides aircraft change data closer to flight departure

Assuming the same equipment / configuration, would seats get reassigned?
not always -- there are many reasons what appear to be the same aircraft still leads to seat reshuffling. Especially if on different PNRs. (did you try for an upgrade? That would have split the PNRs)

Fortunately we were able to move seats around so that everyone could sit next to the persons they wanted to, but unfortunately for us, we were moved from E+ to E. ...
Did you voluntarily moved to E-? Or was this related to some of row 12-15 changing from E+ to E-?

Is it possible that all of this was due to a swap in planes after check-in?
Swaps to aircraft of similar, but not identical aircraft can occur after check-in.

For instances, there are 3 similiar but different 739 configurations
Row 12-15 are different in all three -- all, some or no E+
Or is it likely that someone at United moved us around to accommodate another pax?
very unlikely but not impossible. Given there were multiple folks moved, it seems there was a general seat re-shuffling and you were not targetted.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 22, 2017 at 11:16 am Reason: 739 comment
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
2 pax on same PNR split up, 1 moved to like seat in another row

Well I'm back to FlyerTalk after a long absence...so long my profile still said CO* until moments ago!

Anyway, traveling for Thanksgiving with the spouse and realized our 21A, 21B seats on same PNR were moved. I was left in 21B, the spouse was moved to 20A.

So now I'm a 1K in a middle seat between 2 strangers, and Mr WineIsGood retains a window exit, albeit limited recline.

UA of course wouldn't do anything actually helpful about it. What was offered:
- Opportunity to swap me and Mr WineIsGood. Er...I wasn't going to take that offer - not a good idea to push your spouse into the worse seat, United.
- Explanation that seat assignments are merely requests and I shouldn't expect them to stick
- Compliments to themselves for not moving the 1K on the reservation but rather moving the UA Silver. Yeah thanks, I was dying to have 21B. Everyone's favorite is B. Keeping 2 pax together...less important than keeping me in the B seat I was so looking forward to!
- Compliments to themselves for not splitting up the PNR (not sure what good a combined PNR does when we're split up)

I guess a GS really wanted the full recline in 21??
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by WineIsGood
Well I'm back to FlyerTalk after a long absence...so long my profile still said CO* until moments ago!

Anyway, traveling for Thanksgiving with the spouse and realized our 21A, 21B seats on same PNR were moved. I was left in 21B, the spouse was moved to 20A.

So now I'm a 1K in a middle seat between 2 strangers, and Mr WineIsGood retains a window exit, albeit limited recline.

UA of course wouldn't do anything actually helpful about it. What was offered:
- Opportunity to swap me and Mr WineIsGood. Er...I wasn't going to take that offer - not a good idea to push your spouse into the worse seat, United.
- Explanation that seat assignments are merely requests and I shouldn't expect them to stick
- Compliments to themselves for not moving the 1K on the reservation but rather moving the UA Silver. Yeah thanks, I was dying to have 21B. Everyone's favorite is B. Keeping 2 pax together...less important than keeping me in the B seat I was so looking forward to!
- Compliments to themselves for not splitting up the PNR (not sure what good a combined PNR does when we're split up)

I guess a GS really wanted the full recline in 21??
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully within 24 hours of flight two together that work for you will open up.

But the "GSs can force the seats they want" is a myth, and in my experience, completely false. As a seven-year GS, I've never experienced this, nor have any of the dozens of GSs I've talked to. There are many reasons for seat changes, but in my opinion being bumped by a GS isn't one of them.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully within 24 hours of flight two together that work for you will open up.

But the "GSs can force the seats they want" is a myth, and in my experience, completely false. As a seven-year GS, I've never experienced this, nor have any of the dozens of GSs I've talked to. There are many reasons for seat changes, but in my opinion being bumped by a GS isn't one of them.
The call center agent specifically said it might have been a GS or “another VIP” - but interesting to hear you’ve never gotten that benefit!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by WineIsGood
The call center agent specifically said it might have been a GS or “another VIP” - but interesting to hear you’ve never gotten that benefit!
GS from the outset and never been offered this option. Never asked, either, since I don't think it's right. Not thrilled getting the last seat on an Asia-US flight and having to sit in the middle of four in C, but that's the way it goes.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
Originally Posted by Fizzer
My wife and I are United Platinum /*Gold but live in YQR. As a consequence when leaving home our first segment is always on AC and we have to check in with AC. We have a trip to BKK tomorrow with YQR-YYC-( AC) and the rest UA and ANA. We had selected Economy Plus seats for the UA segments a months ago. I checked occasionally to make sure there were no equipment changes, as recently as a couple of days ago.

I was surprised to find today, however, that on on line check with AC the AC system had changed our seat assignments, separating us by several rows and moving us from E+, at least for the first segment.
Did you notice the seat changes the first time you tried checking in on aircanada.com? Or did you access the check-in page more than once?

I had a similar situation last week flying from YVR on a United booked and ticketed (016) itinerary with the first leg on Air Canada YVR to SFO. Economy+ seats selected months in advance, were showing correctly on united.com until T-24.

When I first attempted to check-in on aircanada.com, I accessed the check-in page (key in PNR, name, origin) and the seats were accurate at this time. I didn't have my passport information on me, and thus closed the session after accessing the booking (i.e. exited the session once I saw the itinerary). When I logged in again, the seats were now different and I was in an Economy- seat for one of the flights. I called United to see what they can do, we couldn't fix anything but the agent noticed that the system was telling them that I had checked-in then cancelled my check-in multiple times, including once while I was on the phone with the agent.

Through this process, we identified a system interface issue: On aircanada.com, merely accessing your booking using the check-in function signals to United's systems that you have completed check in. If you don't complete your check-in during the session (e.g. if you don't have your passport details etc.), United's system realizes you didn't actually check in (seems like a 5 minute time-out function) then proceeds to cancel the check-in. In this process, original seat assignments may be lost.

I've dropped Customer Service a note and they said they'd send it up to IT. Fingers crossed that it won't be a problem in the future. But in the meantime, the only option will be to complete checking in the moment you access the booking on aircanada.com's check-in function (or doing so at the airport) in order to not lose seat assignments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.