FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324844-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-purchase-day-departure-tod-archive.html)

PV_Premier Mar 30, 2013 7:41 pm

DEN-SMF
S fare
Offered TOD @ $109
Gold status
Declined, currently 1 on WL booked 15/16 @ T-22

As of T-27 it was booked 12/16 so some may have bitten

LarkSFO Mar 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by ddrost1 (Post 20509938)
DEN-SMF
S fare
Offered TOD @ $109
Gold status
Declined, currently 1 on WL booked 15/16 @ T-22

As of T-27 it was booked 12/16 so some may have bitten

On a 909 mile flight?

I agree with your decision - decline.

If somebody wants to pay this for F, more power to them.

EmailKid Mar 31, 2013 1:23 am

Not exactly ToD ....

B fare upgraded with miles: SEA-NRT.

Chicken at SEA C to F $4,000 :eek:

Obviously declined :)

EmailKid

roadkit Mar 31, 2013 4:42 am

25 March
IAD-MUC
K Fare
Offered U/G for some 3-digit amount that started with an $8--

I obviously declined.

:D

PV_Premier Mar 31, 2013 7:25 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 20510318)
On a 909 mile flight?

I agree with your decision - decline.

If somebody wants to pay this for F, more power to them.

For the kettle flying O/D, checking a bag, and getting the $79 offer on the same fare class (presumably, since I got the $109 as a gold) -- this would be an attractive offer and I am sure would be accepted.

njcommodore Mar 31, 2013 9:35 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 20480359)
The reporting frequency does seem to be declining, doesn't it?

As has been said (by me too): UA, give me transparency! I am willing to pay extra / use miles to upgrade some flights. But if your process is not clear and predictable, it makes it very frustrating for your flying public!

yes, and mitchmu, the champion of TOD reporting, has even noted his frustration in lack of people following up with him as he tries to track them down.

UA-NYC Mar 31, 2013 9:56 am

Originally Posted by njcommodore (Post 20512065)
yes, and mitchmu, the champion of TOD reporting, has even noted his frustration in lack of people following up with him as he tries to track them down.

It's disingenuous to think any reporting will actually fix a fundamentally broken system that currently acts in the company's best interest

LarkSFO Mar 31, 2013 10:33 am

Originally Posted by ddrost1 (Post 20511576)
For the kettle flying O/D, checking a bag, and getting the $79 offer on the same fare class (presumably, since I got the $109 as a gold) -- this would be an attractive offer and I am sure would be accepted.

Agreed. But what if they had already pre-paid for their luggage when they checked in on line? Or, I think it is likely that many non-frequent flyers blow right past any offers (buy more miles, and buy ups) as they go through the check in process at the airport.

Regardless, a definite yes on your fundamental statement: Some of these buy up offers, even on short flights, make great sense if you are checking bags anyway.

izzik Apr 2, 2013 8:50 am

April 3, SEA-NRT
Gold
B fare
$599 Y->C offered at online check-in
declined due to old 772 recliner seat

sammyindc Apr 2, 2013 4:36 pm

IAD-MCO
K fare
$829 offered to upgrade to F
Declined obviously!

Devyan1 Apr 2, 2013 5:59 pm

Post your TOD buy-up experiences here (no other discussion)

Sitting in EWR about to fly EWR-JAX. Offered $319 at check in (S Fare)...obviously declined.

Sitting at number 1 on upgrade list, will just hope for the best. Was number 1 at T 24 with R available and did not get upgrade, what's the deal with that?

PV_Premier Apr 2, 2013 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 20512270)
Agreed. But what if they had already pre-paid for their luggage when they checked in on line? Or, I think it is likely that many non-frequent flyers blow right past any offers (buy more miles, and buy ups) as they go through the check in process at the airport.

Regardless, a definite yes on your fundamental statement: Some of these buy up offers, even on short flights, make great sense if you are checking bags anyway.

I received the $109 offer at OLCI (mobile app -- aka travel toolkit) so presumably kettle would have received their comparable (or not) offer there too when deciding about prepay E+/bags. Who knows.

I didnt get an offer when I visited the chicken at my origin to see if the $$ went down, because F was already sold out, quite possibly on TODs since the WL names ahead of me did not move.

LarkSFO Apr 2, 2013 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by ddrost1 (Post 20526209)
I received the $109 offer at OLCI (mobile app -- aka travel toolkit) so presumably kettle would have received their comparable (or not) offer there too when deciding about prepay E+/bags. Who knows.

I sure don't know... As you say, it depends upon how obvious the offer is, and at what point in time it is offered. But these are clearly no brainers if you have more than one piece of luggage to check.

Originally Posted by ddrost1 (Post 20526209)
I didnt get an offer when I visited the chicken at my origin to see if the $$ went down, because F was already sold out, quite possibly on TODs since the WL names ahead of me did not move.

Some here on FT can recognize kettles (the kettles that took my F seat!) just by looking at the names on the upgrade list... ;)

valor155 Apr 15, 2013 10:17 am

DEN-SAN
V-fare, CR7, 1K
$209 upgrade offer before checkin -- DECLINED
$109 upgrade offer after checkin (via mobile app) -- DECLINED

pushmyredbutton Apr 15, 2013 10:25 am

EWR-PVG
K Fare
At OLCI, $999 for Y to C
Declined

In hindsight didn't seem like that raw of a deal..